• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New member, speaker suggestions

Donnie2112

Hey everybody.

I’ve been lurking this forum for a couple months now.

I’ve been interested in HiFi for about 8 months now. My system right now is basically all vintage with the exception of a Bluestrean Node 2. The speakers are a Goodman’s 3 way kit from 1958 that my grandfather built into teak folded horn cabinets. The amp is a reworked HH Scott 222C, I also have a Pro-Ject Carbon turntable, and a Nikko tuner, oh and a Schitt Loki Mini that bolsters the high end and low end of my old Goodmans. I also have a home theater that is basically a treated room, a Costco Yamaha receiver, an LG OLED, 7 hand-me down speakers, and decent sub.

The main system is kind of supposed to be a nostalgia machine. It looks pretty, the tubes are fun, the record player is fun, I have no illusions that it is “the best” or some super high resolving system. The only upgrades I would really be interested in would be would be a adding a good DAC, and maybe trying to measure the drivers on the speakers individually to potentially rework the XO. I kind of think it’s neat just having as many original parts on the old kit as possible. I am interested in getting into DIY some day which leads me to the theater room.

I would like to build up the stereo in my theater room. Ultimately, I would like to add ceiling speakers for ATMOS, have a nice front 3 and subs, and maybe get one of those really fancy processors, use separate amplification. Maybe mono blocks for the front 3 and back corners for multichannel DSD reproduction.

Anyway that’s all a ways off as I’m a 2nd year law student, and it will be a few years before I can afford/justify spending as much as all of that.

What I have thought about doing in the near term is upgrading the speakers. I’m wondering if DIY makes sense from a value perspective. Are there designs that would make sense for a theater? It seems like commercial speakers might represent better values in small packages. I don’t think I could build a better speaker than ELAC in the package the put it in. What I’m wondering is, if I was willing to build a much larger speaker if I might find some value in doing DIY there. I have thought about building the Crites Cornscalas but maybe I’d just be better off getting some Debut Reference towers at that price point.

Any thoughts about kits, general advice?

shellback

Audio Company

Mocs123

Forum Donor
Since you are open to DIY, look at diysoundgroup.com (like shellback mentioned above) as their HT and HTM series both get great reviews for theater use, or step up to the 1099's or Titans. You could use the Volt's for Atmos speakers. And if you're going all DIY Home Theater you can build yourself a pair (or more) of V.B.S.S. subs. :)

Top Bottom