• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New member saying hi

facefirst

Hello all,

I have been reading with enthusiasm and decided to join. I love music and want to maximise my listening experience without all the BS. I have sooo many questions but will make sure I have searched properly before asking something. But in the mean time this is my system (feel free to poke fun!).

IMG_9139.jpeg

IMG_8932.jpeg

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
What kind of phono stage is that?

OP
facefirst

facefirst

What kind of phono stage is that?

Hiya. It's a Gold Note PH-10. I wanted to try it as it has adjustable RIAA and other curves on it, plus you can connect two TT's at a time to it. I also liked the way it looks...

gsp1971

Forum Donor
Hi facefirst and welcome to ASR.

I think your lovely floorstanders (Sonus Faber?) are crying to be moved to a larger space :)

I like the desk lamp!

OP
facefirst

facefirst

Hi facefirst and welcome to ASR.

I think your lovely floorstanders (Sonus Faber?) are crying to be moved to a larger space :)

I like the desk lamp!
They are indeed. I plan on building a garden room at some point that’ll be something like 6m x 4m which should be more suitable. The room in the picture also has a chair for listening at the back, out of shot.

gsp1971

Forum Donor
They are indeed. I plan on building a garden room at some point that’ll be something like 6m x 4m which should be more suitable. The room in the picture also has a chair for listening at the back, out of shot.
I figured there was an out-of-shot seat from the toe-in. These SFs are beautiful, I have a soft spot for their speakers, very elegant designs. They just need to be moved further away from the wall, but I am sure you know that already.
Your gear is fine my friend. It needs the right room so that garden room plan sounds good. Hope you can get around to it soon.

OP
facefirst

facefirst

I figured there was an out-of-shot seat from the toe-in. These SFs are beautiful, I have a soft spot for their speakers, very elegant designs. They just need to be moved further away from the wall, but I am sure you know that already.
Your gear is fine my friend. It needs the right room so that garden room plan sounds good. Hope you can get around to it soon.

why thank you. To get round some of the room issues I’ve got the ‘handed’ ports firing inwards, away from the corners of the room. Not sure how much of a difference it really makes. I’ve tried both but haven’t measured the difference.

Katji

Major Contributor
Is that going to be brick or...?
I wonder if there are wendy house kits now that include some sort of insulation.

OP
facefirst

facefirst

Is that going to be brick or...?
I wonder if there are wendy house kits now that include some sort of insulation.

I've done a couple of these of various construction (log cabin, insulated panels etc) and have decided to use a SIPS-type approach. It gives the best thermal performance, is simple to build, and not overly costly. You can then clad the structure with whatever you like. I would ideally like a green roof and some kind of vertical cladding. Insulated concrete base, which is then polished. At least that's the dream...

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Hiya. It's a Gold Note PH-10. I wanted to try it as it has adjustable RIAA and other curves on it, plus you can connect two TT's at a time to it. I also liked the way it looks...
Would love to see measurements. There are very few phono stages with XLR outputs.

OP
facefirst

facefirst

Would love to see measurements. There are very few phono stages with XLR outputs.

I've been looking and the closest I have found is from a site that...doesn't inspire confidence. They also sell an external PSU for the phono stage which is said to 'lower the noise floor'...whilst you don't want power supply noise in your audio signal, I'd be surprised if it made much of a difference if any. The only set of measurements I have seen claim a noise floor 'improvement' of 13db and a THX reduction from 2.8 to 0.1, which seems to me to indicate that the reviewer has issues with power within their testing environment.

The external PSU does look cool though...

Top Bottom