• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New member, new to 'phone audio

ashmostro

Hello all,
I just joined after lurking for months, learning from all the valuable knowledge here (thank you) and ultimately was able to make some purchases I'm really pleased with. After sampling a variety of products, including Focal Clear Professional, Audeze LCD-x, Monoprice Monolith Desktop DAC/Amp, Monolith THX AAA 887, SMSL SH-8, and currently trying out some Focal Elex and Elegias.

I landed on the LCD-x with the Monolith Desktop as the combination that sings to me the most and makes the most sense from a desktop footprint standpoint. I also found various things with the Clear, Elex, and Elegias dissatisfying in comparison. Some things they each do very well, other things less so. Whereas the LCD-x seems to have all the pluses checked that I like.

Most likely going to be selling the Elex given Drop doesn't take returns on them. It's still got plastic on the cables if anyone is interested...

BTW, my prior audio experience is not in the audiophile arena, although I do have a set of (5) Zaph Audio ZRT's with the delicious Scan-Speak Revelator pairs that I had built and assembled over a decade ago still running strong and most likely are the reason I favor the sound signature that led me to the Audeze headphones. Something about silky smooth sound but with aggressive and linear attack when you crank it. Yummo.

Whelp, that's all I got for tonight. Sleep beckons. Hope to meet a bunch of you online and maybe one day be able to contribute back to the community, although I fear that may be a day in the distant future!

Best Regards,
-Ash

Tks

Major Contributor
I had a pair of 2C’s but alas, comfort was an issue (due to one of the poorest designs of a headband I have seen), real shame because they sounded almost perfect in terms of headphones to me, and took very well to any EQ.

Nice to have you on board :]

OP
A

ashmostro

Yeah, I didn't like the lack of breathability and - I thought - clamping force of my -x's, but I ordered the factory brown suede ear pads and, once installed, the feel changed completely. They are now one of the most comfortable headphones I've worn. The weight is still a bit much when you tilt your head down, but under normal listening conditions they are in some ways more comfortable than the Focal Elex's I have, which as you know are much much lighter and have microfiber earpads.

[edit] Oh, and I'm lucky to have the suspension headband. I hear it's so much better than the old style which I never tried. No issues at all with pain at the top of my head.

Top Bottom