• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New member living in the USA

maltux

I am Canadian - moved to the Bay area in California in the late 90's then moved to Buffalo NY with my American born wife. I played with electronics building crystal radio sets, building speakers (including crossovers), photography, model building, computers (ZX80),programming blah blah blah. I have a formal education in Economics and History, Business and Computer crap. I like building things. I like our cottage near Tobermory on the Northern tip of Southern Ontario. I have three evil cats. I love the Toronto Maple Leafs and my wife. I do NOT like all the bullshit I see on YouTube passing off lies of overpriced garbage audiophile products. I want to comment on their sites but it is pointless and that is why I enjoy this forum. If I follow any guru it would be Alan Shaw of Harbeth speakers. He has a mind for measurement that seems compatible with many on this site. I do not own any Harbeth speakers as they are too expensive for me and enjoy building my own.

My primary system includes:

Technics SL 1300 turntable with AT 440mla cartridge
Rotel RA02 Integrated Amp
Rotel Power AMP RB981 Class AB
Rotel Tuner
CD Player Rotel 1072
Sony HD Tuner
Streamer - Home made Raspberry pi with Hifiberry DAC
Speakers:
Phase Technology 10.5 - 120 lbs monsters - trying to sell
DIY Hivi 2.1a bookshelf speakers - love them - up to now my favorite build.
Speaker Cables - um speaker wire with banana plugs -

Thanks for reading my blob.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I'm jealous- that's a great area. Some superb wines, great scenery, and low cost of living.

OP
maltux

maltux

Thank you Amirm. I really appreciate your website. I hope I can add to the conversations as I am learning a lot from them.

OP
maltux

maltux

I'm jealous- that's a great area. Some superb wines, great scenery, and low cost of living.

Having the Great Lakes nearby is great and some great bike trails by Niagara Falls are enjoyable. The cost of living at the cottage has even better scenery but the price of cottages are higher than houses in Toronto - not cheap even compared to California standards. I am not a drinker so I do not know much about wine but there are a lot of vineyards along the southern shore of Southern Ontario.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
NIAGARA FALLS!!! Slooooooowly I turned... step by step... inch by inch...

Buffalo has superb Pinot Noir, which for some reason they can't seem to get right on the Canadian side.

We badly miss snow.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Welcome to Western New York. Can't do any better if you like fishing and food. Sorry about being a Leafs fan, lol. jk

OP
maltux

maltux

Welcome to Western New York. Can't do any better if you like fishing and food. Sorry about being a Leafs fan, lol. jk
Its ok - I had season tickets for the Buffalo Sabres for 14 years but enough is enough :rolleyes:

bogart

Forum Donor
Welcome to the forum! We live in Toronto and make a pilgrimage to Buffalo at least once a year to shop at Wegman's, eat at Dinosaur BBQ and Lake Effect, and enjoy the town overall. We also love Tobermory - I can't think of a better place to have windows behind my speakers :) Glad to have you join us here.

Top Bottom