• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New member from Memphis, TN

HemiRick

Male, 56, car mechanic for a living....have been into audio since my teens. I bought a pair of VMPS Super Tower R SE speakers in kit form in the early 90's and have been enjoying them with a large variety of electronics driving them.....currently using a Behringer NX3000, being fed by a MiniDSP HD, and an Integra 30.4 AVR. I stream CD quality files to a Allo Boss DAC hat on a Raspberry Pi 3+. The miniDSP is used to crossover the 2 VMPS subs I'm also running. I have about 1600 watts of amp power running ATM. I'm currently the moderator of the VMPS forum on the Audio Circle web site {https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=39.0 }

I like the no BS aspect of this site. As a technically literate person I immediately noticed and was turned off by all the BS in the high end audio market. I think that what matters in a stereo system is the speakers, over the years I've used many different amps, etc and the only real difference I've noticed in them is wattage.

Thanks,
Rick

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Male, 56, car mechanic for a living....have been into audio since my teens. I bought a pair of VMPS Super Tower R SE speakers in kit form in the early 90's and have been enjoying them with a large variety of electronics driving them.....currently using a Behringer NX3000, being fed by a MiniDSP HD, and an Integra 30.4 AVR. I stream CD quality files to a Allo Boss DAC hat on a Raspberry Pi 3+. The miniDSP is used to crossover the 2 VMPS subs I'm also running. I have about 1600 watts of amp power running ATM. I'm currently the moderator of the VMPS forum on the Audio Circle web site {https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=39.0 }

I like the no BS aspect of this site. As a technically literate person I immediately noticed and was turned off by all the BS in the high end audio market. I think that what matters in a stereo system is the speakers, over the years I've used many different amps, etc and the only real difference I've noticed in them is wattage.

Thanks,
Rick

Sante Parole !!!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Some amps do sound different and your amp has a fantastical 2 x 1500 Watts @ 2 Ohms and 2 x 900 Watts @ 4 Ohms. Is there a 8 Ohms rating too? I see the model has SmartSense Loudspeaker Impedance Compensation but no 8 Ohm rating or peak power. Is 8 Ohms not used in pro gear? (Edit: I'm a nOOB on class D amps but I've repaired thousands of amps and many switching power supplies so I can get up to speed pretty fast here I suppose.)
https://www.behringer.com/Categorie...iers/Portable/NX3000/p/P0CHS#googtrans(en|en)
https://media63.music-group.com/media/sys_master/h6c/h78/8849376313374.pdf
NX3000_P0CHS_Rear_XL.png

NX3000_P0CHS_Front_XL.png

These speakers>?
fetch

Last edited:
OP
HemiRick

HemiRick

The NX3000 puts out 440w/channel @ 8 ohms, and is how mine is running....I've replaced the stock fan for a silent one and it never even gets warm.system.jpg

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The NX3000 puts out 440w/channel @ 8 ohms, and is how mine is running....I've replaced the stock fan for a silent one and it never even gets warm.
That's a lotta wattage for those woofers. Must thump hard and go pretty loud.

OP
HemiRick

HemiRick

That's a lotta wattage for those woofers. Must thump hard and go pretty loud.

YES! Especially since I replaced the drivers in the 2 Subs w HSU drivers rated a 400W ea {Parts Express #299-4020} and am running them at that or more, 1 sub is driven by a bridged Parasound HCA2200 {1000W @ 4ohms but turned down 5db in the miniDSP}, and the other by a bridged QSC RMX-1450 {it has gain knobs and is about 2 o clock}

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
YES! Especially since I replaced the drivers in the 2 Subs w HSU drivers rated a 400W ea {Parts Express #299-4020} and am running them at that or more, 1 sub is driven by a bridged Parasound HCA2200 {1000W @ 4ohms but turned down 5db in the miniDSP}, and the other by a bridged QSC RMX-1450 {it has gain knobs and is about 2 o clock}
Have you tried the Parasound behemoth with the main speakers. That Parasound is a work of art and the dual toroidals is a nice touch ;)
https://www.parasound.com/vintage/hca2200.php
hca-2200-1-parasound.jpg

OP
HemiRick

HemiRick

Yes I used the Parasound w the mains for many years. Only got the NX3000 a few months ago. As I stated earlier the only diff between the amps my ears notice is the wattage....and the NX3000 doubles what the Parasound does. I've been into the Parasound because it died, the main {4} 22,000 uf capacitors had died. When I replaced them, I upgraded/replaced several parts throughout the amp.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose it's time for me to start delving into class D amps. I've been a linear power supply guy all my life other than repairing PWM power supplies in big car amps and smaller PWM power supplies in peripheral hardware like crossovers. My hearing is not what it used to be, PWM power supplies have come a longgg way and power solves lots of stuff so class D is the future it seems.
I'm stuck in the past apparently >@^_*@<
Old PWM power suppy class AB amp car model that I serviced fairly often for customers.
PICS039.jpg

davidc

Forum Donor

Thanks,
Rick

Hey Rick,

I've got the same speakers as you OP. In fact, I've been to the audiocircle a whole lot! Although, I will admit, mine is not the SE. Sigh...

While I'm not a mechanic (except in my backyard), I also love cars! Been an audiophile since about 10 yrs old.

I also bought my Super Towers from Brian in a kit form back in 1981. It was fun building them. Took a couple of weeks. The anticipation of myself and my friends was electric! Think about a guy 20yrs old, buying these speakers back then...we rocked the neighborhood!!

Most of the surrounds disintegrated back around 1990 and I replaced everything but the tweeters through Brian. Although the surrounds are all OK now, I wouldn't mind replacing, or at least getting spares for the drivers. I've read the threads on the spare parts and such, but I'm a little unclear if any drivers are still around or available through Parts Express perhaps. I did upgrade to the QSO crossovers when we upgraded the drivers...(I think?). The speakers are still my main pair to this day.

I came across VMPS with their ads in the back of Audio magazine. Of course, as a technically literate person myself, Audio magazine was more suited to my taste than Stereo Review or High Fidelity. I couldn't believe Brian's claims, but it turns out they were no BS. Just like this forum.

I liked Brian because he was no BS too, he regularly called BS on the high-end audio guys, and although Brian wasn't much of a bench test guy, he was definitely a "golden ear". He was one of the few pepole that I think could hear a difference in amps and stuff like that. Even though I couldn't.

Brian reminded me in a way of Bob Carver (also a guy I admired). Not afraid to try something new. Not afraid to call BS on the high-end guys. So now I power these 96 dB sens speakers (lower than the original 98 after replacing the drivers) with a Carver PM-1.5a. 600W RMS per channel into 4 ohms. More power than I'll ever need.

It would have been cool if Amiri could have had a pair of VMPS speakers to test. I think it would be cool if he could have had a pair of Super Tower/R's, and then a pair of say RM30's. Sort of a test of how Brian's philosophy and designs changed over the years and to see how they measured.

Top Bottom