• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Member from France : my system in picture! Denon 6800

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
One more point of note. Looks like your two Back Surround Speakers are 4 ohms. Assuming you have the Denon AVR-X3700H, a note of caution only here. The Denon is not rated for 4 ohm load. So just keep an eye on the amps temperature. If it starts shutting off or getting really hot (too hot to keep hand on top) you may have to drop the trim levels for those channels, add cooling, or get different 8 or 6 ohm speakers. But if it’s working now without problems your good. Just something to be aware of.

AdamG

Forum Donor
I am in option 1

I will ask them

god it's complicated :(
Indeed it is, but the hard effort will pay off once you have everything set up properly. Then you can sit back and enjoy sonic nirvana endlessly. :p

OP
patoulol

patoulol

Forum Donor
yes I added fans, it is less hot yes ...

I just hope I made the right choice with Denon x3700 and purifi

I am a little anxious :( :( :(

AdamG

Forum Donor
When you ask tech support from Audiophonics, share with them Amir’s review measurements for your Denon 3700H amp here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/denon-avr-x3700h-avr-review.15031/

Specifically call their attention to this test result paragraph in the above review:

“As you see, peak performance with the amplifiers off is around 1.1 volts with SINAD of 101 dB which is excellent for an AVR. With the amps on, you are OK up to 1.4 volt output before it nose dives. So when selecting an external amplifier for channels beyond fronts, make sure it can output its maximum power at or below 1.4 volts (usually specified as "sensitivity").”

This will tell them the exact output voltage available from the Denon preout. Looks like 1.4 volts is max before driving into distortion.

OP
patoulol

patoulol

Forum Donor
What are you anxious about?

anxious because a person on the forum HCFR France testified that the association is not good because one loses too much power with the history of the gains,

I had also bought a Purifi from them, the Audiophonics stereo amplifier Purifi HPA-S400ET, I made it in retraction the input voltage is too high compared to what our Denon pre-outs deliver Maximum power reached with a signal of ~ 4.2V RMS and our Denons go up to 2 V, in short you will not be able to benefit from the maximum power of the external amplifier (even by setting the configuration to maximum power with the jumpers).

You will realize that at a given volume level the Purifi amplifier is going to be less powerful than the Denon.
I finally took an Emotiva XPA-5 Gen3 which is very transparent and a bit more detailed than my Denon AVC-X3700H ...

and also the message of Amirm which puts the doubt.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
anxious because a person on the forum HCFR France testified that the association is not good because one loses too much power with the history of the gains,

and also the message of Amirm which puts the doubt.

the difference between 2 VRMS and 4 VRMS is 6 dB.

do you think the volume knob on the Denon is always so high that these extra 6 dB are necessary?

Edit : 6 dB

Last edited:
OP
patoulol

patoulol

Forum Donor
I do not understand.

We are talking about an RCA output from DENON at 1.4 VRMS or 2 VRMS ?

AdamG

Forum Donor
Great, do you have an idea what is the sensitivity of your front L and R speakers are?
He posted links to his speakers above. Can you cut and paste the text where Amir says can go to 2.0 volts with front amps off please? Obviously I missed that. ;)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
He posted links to his speakers above. Can you cut and paste the text where Amir says can go to 2.0 volts with front amps off please? Obviously I missed that. ;)

1622906055090.png

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
1622906401290.png

So you're maxing out at around 98 dB SPL (we deduct 6 dB remember). do you think that's enough? or you want it to be more dynamic?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I did some reading on audio phonics, be anxious no more lol!

To suit all uses we opted for 3 gain settings, adjustable by jumper on the interface card:

• Gain of + 7.2dB, for a total of 20dB (default) - Maximum power reached with a signal of ~ 4.2V RMS
  • Gain of + 12.5dB, for a total of 25.3dB - Maximum power reached with a signal of ~ 2.2V RMS
  • Bypass: in this case the signal passes directly from the inputs to the modules, allowing the lowest possible gain of 12.8dB. This mode can be interesting when using a powerful preamplifier, capable of driving a load of 2 to 4kOhm and reaching a voltage of ~ 10V RMS

Top Bottom