• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

new member (field recordist)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
There are 2^24 numbers you can get from 2^23 bits of mantissa plus sign... I don't have my IEEE dictionary to look it up at work. When I was weaned I thought the prof said "24 bits mantissa, 23 bits plus sign, and 8 exponent bits" but that was a long time ago. Quite possible my memory and/or his definition was wrong, not really relevant now.

A few years ago I was asked why we didn't have 64-bit ADCs since all the DSPs were moving to 64-bit words. :rolleyes: I realized later I should have said that was a great idea for a research topic and written a proposal for it. The application was multi-GHz RF, so maybe an 8-bit converter with 56 bits of dither? :) I already had the 10+ GHz ADC...

One thing I remember from my Zoom H2 (now just use once in a blue moon for practice or to capture a tune I might transcribe later) was the AGC was on by default and that trashed the dynamic range of live recordings until I turned it off. No idea if that's changed for the newer models.

Top Bottom