• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New measurements for Beyerdynamic 700 and 900 Pro X

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@solderdude has posted measurements for the DT 900

Thanks @solderdude.

Very interesting results with the TYGR disc, I'm tempted to purchase them and try them on my own pair.

Did you evaluate it under various degrees of pad compression ? The 4K dip seemed to be quite strongly affected by it when I measured them in these conditions on my head.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Did you evaluate it under various degrees of pad compression ?

I did at 22mm, 17mm and 11mm compression but seem to have forgotten to report.
Just added these measurements.

Last edited:

DivineCurrent

Forum Donor
I tried out the 900 Pro X a few weeks ago, sounded great but I couldn't get over the fit. Definitely the most well tuned Beyer I have heard, over the 880, T1, and TYGR 300R. Very punchy and fast sounding, plus without a massive treble peak. But for my large head and ears, the headband and pads got kind of uncomfortable, unfortunately.

seerious

I tried out the 900 Pro X a few weeks ago, sounded great but I couldn't get over the fit. Definitely the most well tuned Beyer I have heard, over the 880, T1, and TYGR 300R. Very punchy and fast sounding, plus without a massive treble peak. But for my large head and ears, the headband and pads got kind of uncomfortable, unfortunately.

My issue too. I thought both models sounded great, but the earpads are actually smaller now.

Technically they are the same, however on the old models you could kinda tuck your ear inside behind the pad. Can't do that very easily anymore.

seerious

@solderdude
Really great review. And very interesting info on the TYGR disc.

Subjectively, did you prefer it with the stock disk or with the TYGR disc?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I only measured the TYGR disc.
I did listen to the the DT900 with the toiletpaper mod.
Easy, virtually no costs and works good.

Going to either send it back or sell it. Nice headphone for € 150 to € 200, nicely balanced to me.
I like the DT1990 (with filter) better so no need to keep it for me
The treble quality of the DT900X is not good enough (for me, it certainly isn't bad) and the clamping force gives me a headache.
Didn't dare to bend the headband too much.

MayaTlab

I did at 22mm, 17mm and 11mm compression but seem to have forgotten to report.
Just added these measurements.

Ah interesting. It seems that the 4K dip was affected by the TYGR disc, but in your case not much by pad compression.

MayaTlab

I only measured the TYGR disc.

I'm trying to order the TYGR disc from Beyer's own website but can't find the individual part (only it + the cushions). Since you've handled both of them, do you know if the spare part number for the TYGR disc is the same as the one for the Amiron Wireless (934208) ?
Beyerdynamic's support so far has not been very helpful in answering that question.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
AFAIK the discs from Amiron Wireless and TYGR are the same.

vhild§

What I’ve read about the fit, the clamping force on these seems to be quite hard, more than with 770s, which gave me headache. I believe the band is still constructed of steel so it can be bent and adjusted safely?

MayaTlab

AFAIK the discs from Amiron Wireless and TYGR are the same.

Just so people know, I've received the explicit confirmation that they are indeed the same spare part (934208). So for people interested in trying out the TYGR foam disc with the 700 and 900 pro X, no need to buy the entire pads + disc combo for the TYGR, you can just buy the foam disc for the Amiron Wireless.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What I’ve read about the fit, the clamping force on these seems to be quite hard, more than with 770s, which gave me headache. I believe the band is still constructed of steel so it can be bent and adjusted safely?

Quite possible these can be bent outwards a bit. You would have to bend them further than I dared beyond their point of elasticity in order for them to stay in a wider position.
Just like with the HD560S there is a rather thin plastic material around the metal inside which may not want to bend as much as needed.
The plastic is folded in shape around the inside of the headband which is thin somewhat hard plastic.
Didn't dare to bend beyond a certain point though.
The orange stripe on the left is a silicone end flap of the soft headband padding which can easily be replaced.
The harder plastic parts are not replaceable.
DT900X.JPG

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Quite possible these can be bent outwards a bit. You would have to bend them further than I dared beyond their point of elasticity in order for them to stay in a wider position.
Just like with the HD560S there is a rather thin plastic material around the metal inside which may not want to bend as much as needed.
The plastic is folded in shape around the inside of the headband which is thin somewhat hard plastic.
Didn't dare to bend beyond a certain point though.
The orange stripe on the left is a silicone end flap of the soft headband padding which can easily be replaced.
The harder plastic parts are not replaceable.
View attachment 163176

Assuming someone uses them with them extended, shouldn't it be possible to bend them a little with the part of the metal that is extended out from underneath the plastic part of the headband?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Maybe... The downsides I see are:
The sliders might not go in well anymore as there would be a straightened piece of metal sliding in a rounded headband.
When extended the headband may not rest on the head anymore and because of the lesser clamping force may drop down on the top of the pinna ?
When one has a larger head it will probably work.

testek

according to this "nouvraught" guy, that 4k dip coming from measurement rigs is an excuse and comes from the headphones (he's commenting this actual thread in his vid).
so, what does science says? are rigs biased? are oratory and solderdude tone deaf? o_O

MayaTlab

according to this "nouvraught" guy, that 4k dip coming from measurement rigs is an excuse and comes from the headphones (he's commenting this actual thread in his vid).
so, what does science says? are rigs biased?

I won't bother to play this video but the 4K dip is easily audible either running sweeps or playing continuous tones and jumping between adjacent frequencies.
It's also been found on all measurements I've seen so far, regardless of the equipment used.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Well... we could register at Nouvraught's site and ask him what Harman level he is ;)

The dip is there. It is real. Audible with a sweep. I can't really tell there is a narrow few dB dip in the 4kHz band using music though but I have not done Harman training so that might be the reason it doesn't bother me on the DT1990Pro and DT900ProX.
It would be easier to detect if there were a peak. Isn't wise to try to EQ it out anyway as it is a resonance in disguise.
Can't test it anymore either, I returned the DT900X (due to clamping force and treble quality).

The 4kHz dip is indeed found on several Beyers like Amiron Home (Amir saw a small one there as well), DT1770, DT1990 (both pad types), DT880 BSE, COP with velour pads, DT770 Pro 250 (was very big), DT990 Pro 250 (very small), TYGR300R (also very small). Not shown on DT880 Edition, DT880/600 nor on T1-mkII.

MayaTlab

The 4kHz dip is indeed found on several Beyers like Amiron Home (Amir saw a small one there as well), DT1770, DT1990 (both pad types), DT880 BSE, COP with velour pads, DT770 Pro 250 (was very big), DT990 Pro 250 (very small), TYGR300R (also very small). Not shown on DT880 Edition, DT880/600 nor on T1-mkII.

Is it just a coincidence in your opinion that the wavelength at 4kHz is quite similar to the internal diameter of the (circular) cups ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes coincidence I think, other BD have the same diameter and some don't have this issue. Also nearly all headphones with circular pads would have this issue or close to it which isn't the case.
The same issue is found on test fixtures that have artificial ears and when sweeping it you can hear it. This would be affected by the presence of a pinna which it isn't.

In the DT900X I can't detect it with music, well.... I didn't try to detect it at least but I am not Harman trained ;)
The DT770 had a lot of it... didn't own that one for long though.
DT1990 has a little bit of it. Can't say I can hear that either. Too narrow, too small (it is also delayed a bit so not as deep as not smoothed measurements show).

For me, in the DT900X and DT1990 it is a non issue. That doesn't mean it could not be a deal breaker for others.

Top Bottom