• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New measurements for Beyerdynamic 700 and 900 Pro X

testek

Well... we could register at Nouvraught's site and ask him what Harman level he is ;)
i don't think i'm ready to go that far, i was just curious to know if his claims are real or not.

i wonder where this 4k rig bias comes from. anyway thanks for confirming the 4k dip is not coming from the rigs, so he's right about that.
although on his youtube channel he pretends all audio reviewers are incompetent that can't read FR graphs and are tone deaf; and of course he's the only trustworthy one (which i found quite pretentious) while he hides likes and dislikes and deletes critical comments (which i found quite suspicious).

i find it odd this guy pretends the DT990PRO is the best headphone out there, while my experience is the DT1990PRO is better (i own both).
i think it takes more than FR graphs to judge a headphone, a point he seems to ignore completely.

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
i wonder where this 4k rig bias comes from. anyway thanks for confirming the 4k dip is not coming from the rigs, so he's right about that.

I wouldn't want to put words in his mouth, but I think that Oratory's original concern came from the fact that the MiniDSP EARS does have a peculiar behaviour around 4K - and as a general rule isn't a superbly accurate tool : https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7szpqm/_/dt9pm7d So in that context it probably was justified to advise taking these results with caution until similar ones were found on other measurement systems.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i don't think i'm ready to go that far, i was just curious to know if his claims are real or not.

although on his youtube channel he pretends all audio reviewers are incompetent that can't read FR graphs and are tone deaf; and of course he's the only trustworthy one (which i found quite pretentious) while he hides likes and dislikes and deletes critical comments (which i found quite suspicious).

i find it odd this guy pretends the DT990PRO is the best headphone out there, while my experience is the DT1990PRO is better (i own both).
i think it takes more than FR graphs to judge a headphone, a point he seems to ignore completely.

He's not "pretending." In his worldview, the DT 990 is at the center of the universe. It's best just to not give him any attention and let him live in that world. lol

Hydrav

I was considering side-grading to the DT770 Pro 250ohm from my AKG K371. Have always been dissatisfied with the build quality, comfort and microphonic cable of the K371. This 700 Pro X seems to perform slightly more neutral than the DT770, although it does introduce a new flaw by also having a microphonic cable. This seems to be a reoccurring problem with these headphones that have miniXLR detachable cables.

Now I've just heard that AKG is coming out with a new headphone which is even closer to the Harman target than the K371, so will wait for that one before I make my decision. Hopefully it has better build quality and QC than the K371.

Hydrav

Which ones? Do you have any more info / source?
The only info so far is this one tweet by Sean Olive:
He says it's probably the closest to the Harman Target so far but apart from that he can't say anything more yet. Very exciting!

EDIT: Oh, and he also posted the measurement of the new headphone:

FD77EfyXMBIZlH3.jpg

Maybe somebody should start a new thread with info and speculation about this new AKG headphone?

Last edited:

MayaTlab

@solderdude If you don't mind, I've just received the TYGR discs and I'm trying to exchange them with the default ones. I'm a little bit afraid to remove by force the plastic retaining ring. I've noticed that of the four retaining tabs, one of them is narrower than the other three, so I suppose that I should force that one out first. I'm trying to use a thin plastic prying tool inserted in the narrow slit between the body and the retaining ring to lever the tab out of its socket but it seems to require quite a bit of force. Do you have any advice on how to proceed ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, the first one is a bit hard to get out.
I used a small screwdriver to lift it up a bit (red arrow). Just far enough that a small embossed area became visible.
Then with my nail under the embossed area you can lift it out.

screwdr.JPG

Last edited:

MayaTlab

Quick feedback on the TYGR foam discs. Unfortunately for me they didn't solve the 4K dip issue, but otherwise the results I'm obtaining are similar to Solderdude's results, with a generalised reduction of the trebles response past 5kHz or so.
Screenshot 2021-11-17 at 12.18.38.png
This is with blocked ear canal entrance mics, each trace is an average of the L+R channels, obtained from five different individual, unsmoothed traces (so 10 per trace in total). TYGR foam discs in orange, default discs in green. Absolute values are incorrect, and it's important to remember that these mics are only illustrating what I'm experiencing, and may not represent what your own experience would be (even with the same sample).
Without EQ I much prefer the overall balance with the TYGR foam discs.

To be noted is that I'm experiencing a fairly strong, narrow Q spike on both channels with these at around 8600-8700Hz or so, that neither ear simulator rigs nor my blocked ear canal mics show (the latter relatively speaking to other headphones as their absolute values are inaccurate anyway), but that my DIY probe mics do. It's fairly easily dealt with as far as I'm concerned as it's quite stable with low seatings to seating variation and equally present on both channels, but if others experience a trebles response that isn't quite as pleasing as what the graphs would suggest (which in this range is quite possible), you may be experiencing an unexpected spike as well.

Contrary to my experience with the Hi-X65, the pads so far have barely changed during the first weeks of use. The measurements have stayed quite consistent. Other than the 4K dip they have been quite easy to EQ.

Last edited:

pchmykh

Hello! I am looking for my first and only headphones, and, unfortunately, it’s almost impossible to try before buy some. I very liked videos with dt 900 pro x, because they look very minimalistic, very good built instead of 660s for example. Is it safe to order this pair? I prefer neutral-to slightly dark sound, fir how I have old kef r700 loudspeakers and happy with them. Some people complained about clamping force. Will this issue pass during some time if use, or it will persist all the time?
Thank you.

adama99

I am looking for my first and only headphones, and, unfortunately, it’s almost impossible to try before buy some.

Expecting your first pair of headphones to be your only pair is somewhat unrealistic. There are some things (like earpad spacing / texture and clamping force) that are very individual and can only be tested by trying the headphones out yourself.

For example, I have a pair of Philips X2HR headphones that I tried out for a while. The pads were soft and roomy and they sounded quite good, but even after bending the metal frame to reduce the clamping force they still sit too tightly on my head.

Is it safe to order this pair? I prefer neutral-to slightly dark sound

Yes - they don't have the signature brightness of many Beyerdynamic models.

Some people complained about clamping force. Will this issue pass during some time if use, or it will persist all the time?

As mentioned above, this is something you'll largely need to find out for yourself. You may not be able to bend these at the headband like some other models, but you could try fitting them over a stack of books slightly wider than your head for a night or two to see if that helps.

flipflop

I made an EQ profile for the DT 900 PRO X based on measurements by SoundStage! and Resolve:
Preamp: -4 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 18 Hz Gain 4 dB Q 0.2
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 230 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 0.8
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 3000 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 6
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 4000 Hz Gain 4 dB Q 10
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 6100 Hz Gain -4 dB Q 1.6

DT 900 EQ.JPG

Ashimaru

From woodenears.com (B&K 4128C)

Attachments

• Capture+_2022-11-29-16-04-57.png
    Capture+_2022-11-29-16-04-57.png
    817 KB · Views: 205
  • Capture+_2022-11-29-16-05-16.png
    Capture+_2022-11-29-16-05-16.png
    262.1 KB · Views: 207
D

Deleted member 35357

Thanks for the EQ profile for the DT 900 PRO X as suggested.
Fixed the harshness around 6Khz with the adjustment you had there,
I felt it was over the top on these stock. Some [Sss sch, ch] vocals was kinda way off at times. Literary hissing as piercing attack like they flipped over a breaker or something for extra boost when they hit the boost level to kick in.

D

Deleted member 35357

Found other EQ settings elsewhere that are good as well:

They are the Oratory1990 suggestions from what I could see for the DT 900 PRO X.
They are equalized to follow the Harman Curve & measured to show that they follow it as well. If you want to try out something more that should follow the Harman curve better.

For EqualizerAPO config (DT900 PRO X).txt
Code:
Notes: Beyerdynamic DT 900 PRO X EQ for Harman Target (Oratory1990)

Preamp: -5.2 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 47 Hz Gain -2.4 dB Q 0.5
Filter: ON LS Fc 105 Hz Gain 5.5 dB Q 0.71
Filter: ON PK Fc 220 Hz Gain -2.4 dB Q 0.5
Filter: ON PK Fc 1420 Hz Gain 0.6 dB Q 2.0
Filter: ON PK Fc 2500 Hz Gain -0.7 dB Q 2.5
Filter: ON PK Fc 3450 Hz Gain -1.0 dB Q 6.0
Filter: ON PK Fc 3800 Hz Gain 2.2 dB Q 1.4
Filter: ON PK Fc 6350 Hz Gain -5.5 dB Q 2
Filter: ON PK Fc 9000 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 2
Filter: ON HS Fc 11000 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 0.71

They boost the Bass frequencies quite a bit and draw down the 6kHz more than the earlier suggestions while not touching the 4kHz deficiency.

Used it a little but I feel like the Harman curve isn't ideal in all situations. It pulls down the sharpness a little to much and boosts bass more than I felt was balanced.
They suggest you alter to taste if your not happy after all.

Top Bottom