• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Matrix Audio Element X2, M2 and i2 Music Streamers - Headphones Amps!!

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Matrix Audio just updated their Element Series with 3 new products that would be available by mid-May. All of them have now touchscreen display and the remote has playback functions. Can't wait to see the reviews. I currently own a MA X-SABRE 3 and I love it but if I was currently looking for a 1 box solution, the MA Element X2 would have been my choice for sure.

Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 2.36.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 2.36.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 2.36.35 PM.png

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Price listed... Beautiful, yet not cheap:

matrix-element-i2-lecteur-reseau-wifi-airplay-2-dlna-es9038q2m-32bit-768khz-dsd512-mqa~2.jpg
matrix-element-i2-lecteur-reseau-wifi-airplay-2-dlna-es9038q2m-32bit-768khz-dsd512-mqa (1)~2.jpg

matrix-element-m2-lecteur-reseau-wifi-airplay-2-dlna-es9028pro-32bit-768khz-dsd512-mqa~2.jpg
matrix-element-m2-lecteur-reseau-wifi-airplay-2-dlna-es9028pro-32bit-768khz-dsd512-mqa (1)~2.jpg

matrix-element-x2-streamer-wifi-airplay-2-dlna-es9038pro-32bit-768khz-dsd512-mqa~2.jpg
matrix-element-x2-streamer-wifi-airplay-2-dlna-es9038pro-32bit-768khz-dsd512-mqa (1)~2.jpg

Tks

Major Contributor
Why'd they move away from the XLR headphone-out connectors? Pretty much the only flaw I see (besides the periodic firmware issues people report here and there).

And boy did they start upping their prices. Still, love the work these guys put out.

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Yes, I noticed the price increase but due the current circumstances (supply chain issues, pandemic, AKM factory fire and global inflation) + added functionalities like touch screen, TIDAL and Spotify Connect, remote with playback buttons and new look, I think the price increase is totally justified. Regarding BT? Who uses BT these days anyways?

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
For that money I would want a 10 band PEQ with multiple possible presets programmable via a decent phone app. They would have a potential customer then.

That has a name already: ROON ;)

Arnas

All look beautiful, but no amp or dac on the market look as beautiful as Sabre 3 silver...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That has a name already: ROON ;)
That also has a price- been there, done that. Also, I want to cut out the PC etc as the Core- Currently PC to DAC with EAPO doing EQ duties on the PC works fine, but a world where I just need to turn the one box on and use Tidal Connect from the phone is long overdue. The processors in this new line should be able to handle some EQ if the RME DAC has been able to do 5 band PEQ for a few years.

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
All look beautiful, but no amp or dac on the market look as beautiful as Sabre 3 silver...
I disagree, the X-SABRE 3 Black looks better ;)

IMG_1601.jpeg

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
P.S Enrico does Matrix display can be turned off when not in use?

Yes Sr. It goes to sleep mode with the screen off if you set it up that way. Mine is set to go to sleep after 5 mins of not music playing. You can setup sleep mode either from the X-SABRE 3 or from Roon.

IMG_1603.jpeg

icenine

I wonder how the headphone section is on this. Would this compete w/Chord HugoTT2 minus the streamer?

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Is it true that these matrix devices only support Updates through a Windows computer?

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Is it true that these matrix devices only support Updates through a Windows computer?
You don’t need a computer to update the firmware on these units, neither in the X-SABRE 3 or in the mini-i Pro 3. They just need to be connected to the internet via Ethernet or wifi, go into settings/firmware and check for new firmware. If there is a new firmware available, then proceed with the update.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Jus noticed that preorders are possible:

Really like the design

OP
enricoclaudio

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
In the US, Power Holdings have all three models in stock.

headwhacker

Forum Donor
Just when I'm looking for an all in one box (streamer, DAC, headphone amp) and set on Element I, the 2 series is almost out. How come only the element I is discontinued from the previous generation?

Is it just me who thinks the 2 series Elements is a slight regression spec-wise on the headphone amp? Not that the difference is audible in most situations. But just surprising to see the latest generation of an audio gear takes a bit of a step back in some of the objective performance from a company which is known for engineering high quality products objectively.

Speaking of the I series the latest generation is an improvement design-wise and as far as UI goes it looks much better. In the end, the Element I, I think would be a better choice for me as it can do basically anything I can think of for my use case, the assurance that it will not have any issue with a variety of headphones/iem and then there is a price difference.

I contacted my local retailer that carries MA products and they will check if they can get an Element I for me. Otherwise, the I2 will have to wait until it is measured and review here before I consider it. Unfortunately, there is not much of an option out there for an all-in-one streamer like the MA audio offers that ticks many boxes objectively/quality-wise.

Top Bottom