• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Magico S3 speakers

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My thought is that perhaps most buyers of Magico and other expensive speakers tend to be very busy, successful people who don't have much time to allocate to leaning about, much less setting up, an active speaker. They just want to buy a speaker they're convinced is at least to some extend SOTA and place them in their listening space. They just go to AXPONA or a high end dealer and try to find speakers they like the sound of and can hook up to their existing amplification and be done with it.

I know of a billionaire (whose parents came to America with education but no cash in their pockets; so it’s a story of luck and hard work). Anyway, even as a triple digit millionaire, he had the same problems we have as ordinary people. Getting the best room for listening wasn’t easy. His main listening room was still a shared family living space. As a billionaire, he has since built a dedicated listening room.

Anyway, at this level of play, the high end dealers are going to be doing the setup for you. So there is no need for tweaking or hooking up to existing amplification.

If you look at these Magico‘a (done before their NFS) you can see it’s pretty good.

They also do have active crossover options

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've seen some interesting external crossover solutions, which to me would be the best of both worlds. The only disadvantage is the cost and the sheer amount of cabling required.

PS: @GXAlan beat me to the punch, they have it for M9.

Reactions: 617

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They aren't "illogical" just because you prefer active speakers. People have different priorities.

If I fry some amp in an active speaker, I am without speakers for however long it takes me to repair the broken one. It could be a long time, especially these days.

If my amp fries, I simply use another one (I have a spare), or just the AV receiver, and I'm up and running in a matter of minutes.
Your view has merit. The amp in my 140lb Velodyne subwoofer failed after 11 years, and the only practical way to repair it was spending about $1000 getting a new amp from Germany (Velodyne is a German company now) and installing it myself. I had to live without the sub working for several weeks, which was annoying.

I would be reluctant to buy expensive active speakers from a small company. I've been tempted by Dutch & Dutch 8cs for our home theater for quite some time, but I haven't been able to get myself to make the longevity bet. I'm still tempted by Genelecs, because I think I'd trust them more to be around in ten years.

sonic578

I’ve been quite happy with the Magico A5’s (took delivery in May, after about a 20 week lead time). Picked up a used room correction preamp (Amethyst), and powering with AHB2… all a 70th birthday gift from my wonderful wife! Back to the A5… the spinorama data is quite good. The aluminum skin + internal aluminum bracing results impressively ‘dead’ panels, though a bit on the heavy side. Bottom line, I like the sound, especially when paired with Harman target curves.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Wonderful present, tell me how did you come to choose the Magicos?
Keith

Martini

Forum Donor
Interesting about the graphene in the drivers.

I wonder if it's anything like the graphene in the newer SEAS drivers, used in for instance the Joseph Audio Perspective 2 graphene speakers. Which are the updated version of the older model I own. In the case of the Joseph speakers the "graphene" is mostly a marketing word: the newly designed SEAS drivers have a graphene coating, but apparently that's mostly to provide better protection/life span for the metal drivers, especially for humid environments. Not really a performance enhancer but "graphene" sounds technical. (The real updates in those SEAS drivers have to do with other aspects, redesigned motors etc).
Yes, the SEAS magnesium drivers can get a fungus and/or oxidize in humid environments, from what I understand. The graphene coating helps protect the magnesium cone and apparently has some dampening properties also, which helps lower driver break up distortion. The driver plots look better, but they still break up rather aggressively.

Last edited:

sonic578

Wonderful present, tell me how did you come to choose the Magicos?
Keith
How about this for responsiveness? Sorry for delay - I don't come here often.

Not sure I can provide a useful answer, but I'll recap the process and add a few comments. Brief background - I had been living with Dunlavy IV for about 25 yrs. Still liked them, but it was time for an upgrade. In my career we worked with Genelecs in our acoustics labs to create realistic background noise for developing and testing 2-way radios for public safety.

Initially liked the recent active designs:
  • Genelec 8351 or 61 + W371
  • D&D 8c
  • Kii Three
But ultimately decided to go with the more flexible passive approach + room correction.

The candidate list grew (in no particular order):
  1. B&W D4 802
  2. Revel Salon (or Studio)
  3. KEF Blade 2
  4. Vandersteen Quatro
  5. PS Audio FR30
  6. Magico A5
Was able to listen to 1, 3, 4, 6. Didn't actually hear the B&W D4's due to the pandemic supply chain issue. But I had heard previous versions.
WAF eliminated #3, though I did like what I heard!
Valued the ability to play loud, and appreciate the importance of relatively large radiating area of woofer(s) for good bass.
Spinorama performance was important in my selection process - in this price range, in my opinion, spinorama design target is a must.
While I'm not a PS Audio fan, I have a lot of regard for Chris and the FR30 design, and hope to have a chance to hear it in the future.

What I liked about the Magico A5 design:
  • Neutral sound
  • Good spinorama performance (they get points for owning and using the Klippel scanning system)
  • Sealed enclosure (don't like acoustic unloading at low freq of ported designs)
  • Rock solid (aluminum) enclosure - knuckle tap if you get a chance :)
  • High quality drivers
  • 3x high excursion 9" woofers
Minor dislikes:
  • Heavy - 180 lbs ea, but I appreciate the value add to the enclosure
  • At $24k not crazy about shelling out an extra $800 for grilles - with all of the warnings about not touching the (unprotected but fragile) Beryllium tweeter.
Magico is known for high quality products, but severely overpriced. Watch the video posted by Jay to get a better understanding of where the cost goes. While the A5's are not exactly cheap, they are very well made, use top tier components, and I love the result! The price and wait time both stung a little, but those are fading... the enjoyment is not!

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just had a listen to the S3 at a show earlier today.

System was full DCS stack into D'Augustino pre amp and monoblocs. Got to say it did not sound good to me.

I don't know why as on paper it should be tremendous. But it was strident and hard.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

System was full DCS stack into D'Augustino pre amp and monoblocs. Got to say it did not sound good to me.

I don't know why as on paper it should be tremendous. But it was strident and hard.
Often the room acoustics are, shall we say, not the best.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The sole importer in UK , Absolute Sounds, partner them with amps they want to push.
I have heard Magico sounding less than their best under their care.
perhaps this was another failure .
Magico usually is very efficient, but need the best of amplification.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
That would make sense except that other, similar rooms were fine - for example the room next door had TAD floorstanders which were impressive and I could have listened all day.
Maybe you're not into analytical sound

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like I said I can't think of a definite reason but that was my experience.

maybe it was just me, (and my colleague) - I noticed in someone else's report of the same demo they said this:

''I also quite liked the Dan Agistino and Magico, very clean sound but lacking realism''

Penelinfi

I wonder what the sense of realism is; enhancement of some frequency? Directivity, or certain material behaviours that trigger human attention somehow?

egellings

Major Contributor
Asking the question with all honesty:
How will it fare on the measurements board compared to to a Kef R5, BMR Philharmonic or Revel f208?
Or , if one believes in the "price class" notion: Revel F328Be or Revel Salon, etc...
I have been and will remain away from the High End Audio scene, so forgive me for asking: Is this a typo or are these things to cost ... gasp! ...:eek: $68,000.oo/pair????:eek:
One could build an entire, complete stereo 2CH (and HT) system, with multiple subs. DSP. Projector , Screen, back-up OLED TV, with the cash outlay from these S3... We're talking Trinnov Pre-Pro territory with F328b, 8361 or Neumann KH 420 as LCR plus all the subs you can eat plus .... ooof....
These HEA products make no sense...
Just saying...
I apologize for "crapping" on the thread but this needs to be expressed.

Happy Holiday.

Peace.
For the serious audiophile, "Nothing's too good for my little Fi-fi; do you understand? N-n-n-n-nothing!".

PGAMiami

Maybe you're not into analytical sound
In between TAD M1 and R1s I had the Magico Q5. I did not like the Q5s at all. I fell prey to the audiophile reviews. Extremely analytical, bad customer support, which is inexcusable at this price point. For me they were like a boat, my happiest days were the day I bought them and the day I sold them. I understand the newer Magicos are less analytical but at this price point, at least for me, customer support is a big part of the decision.

OShag

In between TAD M1 and R1s I had the Magico Q5. I did not like the Q5s at all. I fell prey to the audiophile reviews. Extremely analytical, bad customer support, which is inexcusable at this price point. For me they were like a boat, my happiest days were the day I bought them and the day I sold them. I understand the newer Magicos are less analytical but at this price point, at least for me, customer support is a big part of the decision.
PGAMiami, I get where you are coming from. My thoughts are that the sealed enclosure design tends to diminish the lower frequencies in terms of bloom and energy a bit too much. Low-frequency performance is vital as a foundation.

PGAMiami

PGAMiami, I get where you are coming from. My thoughts are that the sealed enclosure design tends to diminish the lower frequencies in terms of bloom and energy a bit too much. Low-frequency performance is vital as a foundation.
The Q5s sounded very dry in my room. Not enjoyable at all.

Just prior I had TAD M1s. The M1s are a 4 way ported speaker, however, Andrew Jones had sealed mine and modified them such that the woofers were driven directly by Bel Canto mono amps with a low pass crossover and EQ built into the amps. Prior to that I had Dunlavy VIs and Cello Grand Stradivarius that are also sealed. Of these 4 sealed speakers, the Q5 were the only ones that sounded dry and lifeless.

I expect Alon learned from the Q5 and is making better sounding speakers now.

Top Bottom