• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Magico S3 speakers

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Magico-S3-hifi-news-dec-2022-lifestyle.jpg
Screenshot_20221215_201657_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221215_201709_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221215_201719_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221215_201738_Chrome.jpg

Looks pretty cool :)
Full article : https://www.hifipig.com/magico-s3-2023-loudspeaker/

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Awesome! It’s the first time I hear of graphene being used in a consumer product.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For Magico they're relatively cheap.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Designed with the Klippel NFS, but a shame they do not publish the spin data.

S3 mk2.jpg

symphara

MCH

Major Contributor
My 8 year old 200 eur skis have graphene in them
But what is graphene besides a paint finish that costs 9000£

LearningToSmile

Magico are definitely my "if I won the lottery" speakers. This seems to be more of an evolution of the S3 mk II than a revolution, but still cool. Gotta say, I don't like the two-tone design as much as the previous version, the extruded aluminum monocoque chassis of mk II looked really nice:
S3_Mk2_Home_3.jpg

MarcT

Forum Donor

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting about the graphene in the drivers.

I wonder if it's anything like the graphene in the newer SEAS drivers, used in for instance the Joseph Audio Perspective 2 graphene speakers. Which are the updated version of the older model I own. In the case of the Joseph speakers the "graphene" is mostly a marketing word: the newly designed SEAS drivers have a graphene coating, but apparently that's mostly to provide better protection/life span for the metal drivers, especially for humid environments. Not really a performance enhancer but "graphene" sounds technical. (The real updates in those SEAS drivers have to do with other aspects, redesigned motors etc).

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Now why do You think Magico continue to make passive monkey coffins, ( albeit fine measuring ) when they presumably could make outstanding active designs?
Keith

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Asking the question with all honesty:
How will it fare on the measurements board compared to to a Kef R5, BMR Philharmonic or Revel f208?
Or , if one believes in the "price class" notion: Revel F328Be or Revel Salon, etc...
I have been and will remain away from the High End Audio scene, so forgive me for asking: Is this a typo or are these things to cost ... gasp! ...:eek: $68,000.oo/pair????:eek:
One could build an entire, complete stereo 2CH (and HT) system, with multiple subs. DSP. Projector , Screen, back-up OLED TV, with the cash outlay from these S3... We're talking Trinnov Pre-Pro territory with F328b, 8361 or Neumann KH 420 as LCR plus all the subs you can eat plus .... ooof....
These HEA products make no sense...
Just saying...
I apologize for "crapping" on the thread but this needs to be expressed.

Happy Holiday.

Peace.

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I doubt we will ever see the Klippel measurements for these speakers , even though Magico have the device, I don’t believe Magico would come out well in comparison to a Blade let alone any contemporary actives at a tenth of the price.
Keith

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I find them very pretty (the ones in OP's pic). Magico has nice visual style. But they are very expensive and hide in-depth measurements... I don't know. My "won the lottery" speakers would still be KEF Reference 5, some Salk Audio, Philharmonic Audio...

Blue.jpg

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Now why do You think Magico continue to make passive monkey coffins, ( albeit fine measuring ) when they presumably could make outstanding active designs?
Keith

They would like to continue making money, I presume. Still not a big market among Audiophiles for active speakers.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Because 90+% of audiophiles still prefer passives and mixing and matching amps to speakers. So the market asks, the manufacturers answer, that's it.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They would like to continue making money, I presume. Still not a big market among Audiophiles for active speakers.
Yup, and the related questions of why manufacturers keep producing enormous Class A and Class AB amplifiers, tube amplifiers and pre-amps, and vinyl playback equipment and LPs? However illogical these products are, that's where some lucrative money is.

symphara

Yup, and the related questions of why manufacturers keep producing enormous Class A and Class AB amplifiers, tube amplifiers and pre-amps, and vinyl playback equipment and LPs? However illogical these products are, that's where some lucrative money is.
They aren't "illogical" just because you prefer active speakers. People have different priorities.

If I fry some amp in an active speaker, I am without speakers for however long it takes me to repair the broken one. It could be a long time, especially these days.

If my amp fries, I simply use another one (I have a spare), or just the AV receiver, and I'm up and running in a matter of minutes.

MarcT

Forum Donor
My thought is that perhaps most buyers of Magico and other expensive speakers tend to be very busy, successful people who don't have much time to allocate to leaning about, much less setting up, an active speaker. They just want to buy a speaker they're convinced is at least to some extend SOTA and place them in their listening space. They just go to AXPONA or a high end dealer and try to find speakers they like the sound of and can hook up to their existing amplification and be done with it.

Top Bottom