• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Mac Mini review

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
They're so damn cute.
BUT at $800-4,200 I could build just about anything my heart desired in a configuration that would be exactly what I wanted.
My only problem is I can never make up my mind on something that really grabs me for my music server. I'd love to switch to something small and silent, but my huge Cooler Master - Cosmos box with a antique Gigabyte board and Intel quad core processor I built in 2008 just keeps cooking along in a lightening fast manner. It's not worth anything now, what do I do, throw it out? :( Just like a big V8, there's no substitute for cubic inches. LOL
cooler_master_mcc_c700p_mg5n_s00_cosmos_c700p_case_1517949979000_1387670.jpg

OP
Rod

Rod

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yep, still humming along on my 2012- i5. Changed to a used NVIDIA GTX 1080 from a GTX 780 but thats it. Not much change in processors. I keep looking for an excuse to upgrade but its still plenty fast for now. Maybe when they go to 7nm.
Have a not much used ipad(now it is, I stream with it) and my pc for streaming. Ipads make a cheap alternative.

Last edited:

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
I am an Apple (product/design) fan, and have no problem agreeing with the author here. Because Cook’s Apple follows the logic of the dollar, you should expect to see products that target the masses, not a journalist.

The form factor of Mac Mini will soon be obsolete. Look to the IPad Pro 2018 with Apple’s own chips. It is powerful enough for most scenarios. Just add a couple of more ports. Does anyone know if the existing USB C port can be upgraded to Thunderbolt 3 by means of software? And what will happen to cables anyway when 5G becomes standard?

For audio enthusiasts I wonder if the most basis Mac Mini is sufficient? What do you think?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
For audio enthusiasts I wonder if the most basis Mac Mini is sufficient? What do you think?
For straight streaming of the base file, without a doubt, more than sufficient.
If your one of those guys who do six different data rate/pcm-dsd-psd conversions in a fruitless attempt at better sound, who knows.

andymok

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It packs so many DSPs you don't actually see the general CPU anymore lol

Funny, DAW on PC used to rely on DSP and proprietary hardware to run the most demanding tasks. Some turns Windows into RTOS and switch to run purely on CPU now.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From the review this thing seems underwhelming. I have no doubt it is. It may please the hardcore and fanboys else.
Sorry to be so harsh

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The form factor of Mac Mini will soon be obsolete.

I disagree. For an audio person it's really nice to have a small box with a built in PS (no stupid wall wart) that can stay permanently connected to ethernet and pre-pro.

I have found the previous-generation base model sufficient for audio enthusiast needs for several years now.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I was set to buy one of these for streaming music and doing a bit of room correction/ measurement / EQ but once you start adding stuff together they get expensive.

I’m still thinking about it, if the basic one will suffice maybe I will go ahead..

Wombat

Master Contributor
It seems to me that McDonalds buns have become smaller over time -> McMini. Sorry guys. :rolleyes:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Hey @amirm still got that fanless box you built a couple years ago?
Want to sell it?

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
I disagree. For an audio person it's really nice to have a small box with a built in PS (no stupid wall wart) that can stay permanently connected to ethernet and pre-pro.

I have found the previous-generation base model sufficient for audio enthusiast needs for several years now.

On Mac Mini form factor already obsolete: Just think about it; what is it that an iPad Pro 2018 cannot do for domestic use that a Mac Mini can? For an iPad Pro to work Apple need to gap the bridge between iOS and MacOS just a bit. Or app software writers need to write more elaborate code for the iPad, which got 6 GB of RAM in its latest iteration (1 TB version).

So we’re already there where you simply have a slight slab of glass that has all the power and interface you’ve always dreamt of.

And why do you need Ethernet when wifi works flawlessly?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
And why do you need Ethernet when wifi works flawlessly?
Flawlessly? I'm not so sure I would agree there.
Maybe I'm old fashion but I still don't trust critical stuff like doing firmware updates, etc; to a wifi connection.
YMMV

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just think about it; what is it that an iPad Pro 2018 cannot do for domestic use that a Mac Mini can?

As discussed, stay plugged into your audio system and display on a TV. Also, hold multiple gigabytes of music files (and video, if streaming isn't adequate to your needs).

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Maybe I'm old fashion but...

I'm not old fashioned, I'm a highly advanced Time-Traveller from the early 1950's somehow stuck here in Nu-Perfect America.

I'm still working out how to jump onto one of those alternate timelines I keep hearing about here in the local multiverse, though.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm not old fashioned, I'm a highly advanced Time-Traveller from the early 1950's somehow stuck here in Nu-Perfect America.

I'm still working out how to jump onto one of those alternate timelines I keep hearing about here in the local multiverse, though.
Sounds like you've been into the good stuff again Ray. :p

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Maybe I'm old fashion but I still don't trust critical stuff like doing firmware updates, etc; to a wifi connection.

Me too. LAN is 100% reliable for such things. Nothing worse than bricking a router you really didn't need to update in the first place.

I love WiFi, but my main machines are all on gigabit LAN with the wifi cards switched off to cut down interference on my bench.

Top Bottom