• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Lurker Needs Guidance

flyfisher 60

First off I MUST thank all of you for the wealth of info you are sharing. I feel that I have received so much knowledge regarding DAC's and streamers in the last couple of weeks and now I have more questions...
Let me share my situation, I'm old school and running the following gear:

Pass Labs X1 Pre Amp
Pass Labs X250 Amp
Legacy Focus Speakers
Oppo 105 player (presently using the built in DAC and running Qobuz from MacBook via USB ).

I would like to run something wireless and be able to use the Mac while I listen for other things without dealing with music drop outs.
The Cambridge CXN V2 sparked my interest as an all in one fix after having looked at DAC's like the SU10, SMSL M500, and others. I don't need a headphone amp. I want clean enjoyable music through my existing rig.

Questions:

Would I be better served to go with a Node, or Dac Magic with an external DAC or an all in one like the CXN V2?
I want a more convenient way of playing my music but not at the cost of sound quality. If I can improve sound and cut the wires I'd be super happy.
Presently I'm running the Mac with a USB cable to the Oppo 105. From what I've read USB is not the best method but at the moment that seems to be my only option.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wiim Mini into a Topping E50 gets you 99.8% where you want to go for a very paltry sum (~$300)... You'll be send your music via AirPlay or stream directly via Spotify or Tidal connect.

Good luck!

OP
F

flyfisher 60

Thanks for your advice. Reading the links as we speak. The Topping seems awesome. I would like standard XLR outs though.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The SMSL DO100 has standard XLR outputs for about as much money as the E50. Amir's review is here.

That being said, there's really nothing wrong with 6.35mm TRS outputs.
You can get cables with TRS on one and XLR on the other end and the end result is the same.

OP
F

flyfisher 60

The SMSL DO100 has standard XLR outputs for about as much money as the E50. Amir's review is here.

That being said, there's really nothing wrong with 6.35mm TRS outputs.
You can get cables with TRS on one and XLR on the other end and the end result is the same.
So going with theTopping E50 with the 6.35 TRS to XLR vs going with the SMSL DO100?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for posting and not lurking. Lurking is okay but on topic posting is better. ;)

eddantes

Why the Pro over the regular mini in my situation?
Pro gives you Chromecast, Alexa ... and more importantly... the promise of Parametric EQ ...

Personally, as a mac user, mini works fine for you. As for the EQ - lets see the implementation, then we can talk.

Edit: Also - don't overthink the DAC - they're both transparent - buy the cheaper one that you have cables for.

OP
F

flyfisher 60

Thanks to all of you for the valued input. Seems the E50 and the Wiim Pro are in high demand and not readily available.

Apesbrain

While you're considering options, you might install the Remote app on your iPhone. At least you'd then be able to control your iTunes wirelessly.

OP
F

flyfisher 60

It looks better. You could send a digital signal from that right into the Oppo 105. Or any of the above dacs with XLR if you want to spend more money.
Sounds like you just said, "spend more money"? And it seems like just that... The mini arrived today. I'll play with it tomorrow.

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
Sounds like you just said, "spend more money"? And it seems like just that... The mini arrived today. I'll play with it tomorrow.
In this instance I think the extra features are worth fifty bux in future proofing, but I'm a google guy not an apple guy so the chromecast option is important to me. I don't see why you would need a dac.

eddantes

In this instance I think the extra features are worth fifty bux in future proofing, but I'm a google guy not an apple guy so the chromecast option is important to me. I don't see why you would need a dac.
No - I suppose the Oppo would sound exactly the same as a Topping DAC... Except it 's nice to know that you probably have a 10DB SINAD gain, if this review is something to go by https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...measurements-of-oppo-udp-205-uhd-player.3660/

And generally all of us are looking to see how close to SOTA (state of the art) we can get

OP
F

flyfisher 60

No - I suppose the Oppo would sound exactly the same as a Topping DAC... Except it 's nice to know that you probably have a 10DB SINAD gain, if this review is something to go by https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...measurements-of-oppo-udp-205-uhd-player.3660/

And generally all of us are looking to see how close to SOTA (state of the art) we can get
Actually it's an Oppo 105. Not sure if there is even a review for that one. I'm sure this will be an upgrade...

OP
F

flyfisher 60

Just wanted to thank the forum again for the guidance given. I received the the Topping E50 and have been using it. Trying to not give in to "placebo" or say I'm hearing something I'm not. What I will say is that I find the sound very pleasing and clear. So much in fact that I'm waiting on the L50 for my headphones. I'm hoping I'll be as pleasantly surprised.
I'm presently using an older Audio-gd r2r11 and even though it sounds good to my ears I find the click in the right channel at the beginning of each track annoying.

Top Bottom