• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Lexicon AVRs (RV-6, RV-9) and SSP (MC-10) with Dirac Live

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

It looks like Harman is trying to resurrect Lexicon now that the bad press from their $3500 recased Oppo blu-ray player fiasco isn't on the first page of search results.

Judging from the back panel, the hardware for the new Lexicon products is very similar to Arcam. But Lexicon offers something unique in their software: Logic7 to upmix music. I've never used Logic7, but online comments are positive.

I briefly had a review sample of another AVR based on the Arcam. I never wrote the review. I had to return the unit. Unlike Denon/Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, and Anthem, this unit could only render height effects to ceiling speakers and Dolby bouncers. On-wall front/rear heights were not supported. According to the current version Arcam AV860 manual, this limitation persists across their line.

If Lexicon addresses this limitation in their version, the Lexicon models might be the answer for people who enjoy upmixed music, but find Dolby Surround, Neural X, and Auromatic disappointing compared to Dolby Pro Logic IIx Music. People like me!

Also, Harman finds a way to incorporate anechoic profiles for JBL Synthesis compatible speakers such as the LSR705i and LSR708i into their Dirac Live implementation, then these products could be really special.

(Edited to reflect fact that Yamaha AVRs and SSP can also render Atmos to on-wall front and rear height locations.)

Last edited:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
I don't know, my memory is very fresh with Lexicon.
Plus Arcam with Dirac Live implementation is not a simple affair, from my extensive readings.

Anyway, I got a new CD to listen to ...

Good luck.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Good news. Even when they OEM a unit, Harman does a thorough quality control and finds many bugs that the manufacturers fix. Such was the case with Oppo by the way.

I will try to get more information on it. Thanks for posting it.

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
Color me very interested in a Lexicon Pre-Pro w/Dirac and Logic 7

Scott Borduin

Forum Donor
Lexicon mentions a new upmixer called Logic 7 Immersion, which synthesizes for height speakers as well. This makes me recall the much-ballyhooed but ultimately stillborn Quantum Logic Surround - I wonder if it's the same algorithm rebranded to avoid bad memories :)

Scott

astr0b0y

Seems like Dirac adoption is really taking off. I’ve just gone back to Audyssey XT32 from Dirac while my power amp is being repaired. It’s very different, not bad at all but I prefer Dirac.
The Lexicon units appear to have two sub outputs that are independent, hopefully they allow for different delays but a group them as a single output.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any chance that Amir can get his hands on one of these units for testing? It's starting to feel as though there is no well-engineered surround receiver or processor on the market...

bigbag34

Forum Donor
Nice to see Samsung bringing us some new home audio products. I didn’t even know Lexicon was still a functioning brand. It’s still hard for me to understand why they purchased Harman. Ohhh right, I forget automotive OEM. A lot of data can be gathered through an automobile and Samsung wants to have data on the level of Google, Microsoft, etc. nevertheless I’ve wandered off topic....very cool to see new Lexicon gear.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Any chance that Amir can get his hands on one of these units for testing? It's starting to feel as though there is no well-engineered surround receiver or processor on the market...
The only thing I can do is buy them at dealer cost. Otherwise I don't have a formal relationship with them to get a unit for testing.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The only thing I can do is buy them at dealer cost. Otherwise I don't have a formal relationship with them to get a unit for testing.
Ah, if only we could find a member who may be willing to loan one. This is a challenge with such expensive and uncommon products.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It’s still hard for me to understand why they purchased Harman.
They want the prestige that goes along with owning these famous old US audio companies.
Makes me want to vomit. :mad:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Ah, if only we could find a member who may be willing to loan one. This is a challenge with such expensive and uncommon products.
They will come. No one else is doing the analysis we are doing and I am pretty hopeful we will get access to all of these products over time.

OP
jhaider

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They want the prestige that goes along with owning these famous old US audio companies.
Makes me want to vomit. :mad:

Does ATI wanting the prestige that goes along with owning a bunch of famous old US and European audio companies (B&K, Theta, Datasat, SAE) also make you want to vomit?

Also, this Lexicon is a generation old. I had one of the platform by another brand in for review, but could not review it due to an unexpected shortcoming in the platform. The replacement AVR and SSP is sold as JBL Synthesis.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Does ATI wanting the prestige that goes along with owning a bunch of famous old US and European audio companies (B&K, Theta, Datasat, SAE) also make you want to vomit?

Nope. :p
"American Muscle
At ATI we make heavy-duty amplifiers with proven circuitry, meticulous assembly and rigorous testing designed to deliver state-of-the-art audio for years-- all designed by us and built in our own US factory. It's a simple story, "American Muscle built by American muscle."
No Shortcuts, No Compromises
We design, engineer, and assemble all ATI products in our 50,000 square foot Southern California factory. Everything is built completely to our specifications and we monitor every aspect of the process ourselves. We're convinced, that our efforts pay off in dependability and sound quality. Our customers agree."

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, this Lexicon is a generation old. I had one of the platform by another brand in for review, but could not review it due to an unexpected shortcoming in the platform. The replacement AVR and SSP is sold as JBL Synthesis.
Intriguing. This receiver uses Class G amplification.

If anyone has a current or reasonably recent (i.e., one that includes Dolby Atmos) Lexicon or JBL Synthesis receiver or processor, we would be indebted to you if you could send it to Amir for measurement.

Last edited:
OP
jhaider

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I wanted to give you an opportunity to show your statement came from somewhere such as distrust of corporate combination (un-Borking antitrust law should be a major focus of the next civilized Administration; see e.g. here for some discussion of the scope of the problem), distaste for companies cynically licensing old brands to give some name recognition to otherwise undistinguished product, or some other reasonable objection a decent human being may raise.

I wish that had happened.

Never mind that you are simply wrong on fact. Whatever one's personal opinions of Samsung products, objectively the Samsung brand is in the top rank of prestige. A brand is not a person but a mere market entity. So the only valid measure of "prestige" among brands is cold hard cash value. Samsung ranks #7 on the 2019 Forbes "world's most valuable brands" list, obviously well below the indisputable leader (Apple), but within spitting distance of Coca-Cola (!) and ahead of American brands such as Disney (!!!) or Nike. Samsung is also ahead of Mercedes-Benz and BMW, Toyota and Honda, Louis Vuitton and Gucci, Ikea, and so on.
The consultancy Interbrand even ranks the Samsung brand as more valuable than the Facebook brand: https://www.businessinsider.com/most-valuable-brands-apple-google-mcdonalds-2019-10#1-apple-20
None of the formerly Harman brands are ranked on either list.

What does this have to do with Lexicon? Not much. Then again, Harman does not seem to have much to do with Lexicon either these days. As stated, the replacement for this AVR/SSP lineup are badged JBL Synthesis rather than Lexicon. Lexicon currently has last year's AVRs/SSP, an innovative new speaker, and a nice multichannel 1RU high amp that seems a little behind the times (no Dante input). Did I miss anything?

fitero

My 2C worth.

The SDP-55 is obviously based on the Arcam AV860. We all know that Arcam belongs to Samsung now. JBL incorporates it's proprietary speaker/acoustic tunings within the Arcam and Trinnov products that it sells under the JBL Synthesis brand.

Even after reading Dr. Toole's reservations regarding how the Trinnov (SDP-75) manipulates signal processing, I was still floored after hearing a friend's system using the SDP-75 processor, Mark Levinson amps and JBL M2 speakers. Before ARCOS calibration, the M2 speakers sounded pretty bad. After the calibration it was stunning.

We all like to criticize the monster companies for their apparently plodding, insensitive business model. On the other hand, in this case, thank god they have had the wherewithal to amass these latest products and sell them so us. Awesome!

I'm not a fan-boy for anything nor anyone, and yet, I find myself applauding Harman solely on the merit of their current products.

OP
jhaider

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
JBL incorporates it's proprietary speaker/acoustic tunings within the Arcam and Trinnov products that it sells under the JBL Synthesis brand.

Is the SDP-55 going to have speaker tunings? I did not know that. If so that makes it a lot more attractive for a system with 7-Series speakers.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My 2C worth.

The SDP-55 is obviously based on the Arcam AV860. We all know that Arcam belongs to Samsung now. JBL incorporates it's proprietary speaker/acoustic tunings within the Arcam and Trinnov products that it sells under the JBL Synthesis brand.

Even after reading Dr. Toole's reservations regarding how the Trinnov (SDP-75) manipulates signal processing, I was still floored after hearing a friend's system using the SDP-75 processor, Mark Levinson amps and JBL M2 speakers. Before ARCOS calibration, the M2 speakers sounded pretty bad. After the calibration it was stunning.

We all like to criticize the monster companies for their apparently plodding, insensitive business model. On the other hand, in this case, thank god they have had the wherewithal to amass these latest products and sell them so us. Awesome!

I'm not a fan-boy for anything nor anyone, and yet, I find myself applauding Harman solely on the merit of their current products.
It might be based on the new Arcam AV40, no? Some quick google work on that one will show you teething issues they've been working through with that new line of products, though I confess I remain potentially quite interested.

Top Bottom