• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New lab for Amir

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think we should all chip in and buy Amir a new place to do his testing like

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The dream...

1669737052895.png

The reality...

1669736886079.png

The dude's wearing a tie!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe it's just me, but I'd never work in a cubicle. Let alone wear a tie :facepalm:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I suppose you have to wear a VR headset to work at Meta/Facebook now.

Which would be worse than either of the options above.

---

I have a Quest 2, for glider flight simulation (Condor 2), it's completely uncomfortable, heavy on the forehead and eye orbits, about an hour is more than enough.

The experience is pretty spooky, though, especially when you are about to die.

You can stick your head out through the canopy to see what is below, which I have not been able to do in my glider.

---

Visited "Horizon Worlds", because, you know, just to see.

Once.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Could be worse ...

I had three Japan trips, in 1986, 1992, and 1998, 90 days (the limit) each, though the 1998 trip ran overtime and I had to fly back.

This was the desk of an NEC firmware engineer working on our project in 1998.

1669740122809.png

All that for some miniscule part of this:

1669740405821.png

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had three Japan trips, in 1986, 1992, and 1998, 90 days (the limit) each, though the 1998 trip ran overtime and I had to fly back.

This was the desk of an NEC firmware engineer working on our project in 1998.

View attachment 246671
Neatness counts!

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I suppose you have to wear a VR headset to work at Meta/Facebook now.

Which would be worse than either of the options above.

---

I have a Quest 2, for glider flight simulation (Condor 2), it's completely uncomfortable, heavy on the forehead and eye orbits, about an hour is more than enough.

The experience is pretty spooky, though, especially when you are about to die.

You can stick your head out through the canopy to see what is below, which I have not been able to do in my glider.

---

Visited "Horizon Worlds", because, you know, just to see.

Once.
When I needed to start explaining ideology to my young students, I used this short animated a lot (at least for one of the five major definitions):

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
They threw a party after work on my very last day there.

I thought it was for me, but apparently they combined it with the End of Summer party.

I bought three bottles of Jack on the way to the station that morning.

They made a nice klinking noise in my backpack all day. Got lots of questions about that.

1669741455979.png

Our group must have been important, as we had pretty good seats for the show.

1669741491044.png

Attendance was around 4 to 5 thousand.

As always, the party ended at 9:30 so you would have time to go to your "second party" on the way home, and not exceed the 11:00pm time (back then) when most of the trains stopped running.

I've heard the hours are extended now.

If you went by the station around 2am, there would typically be all kinds of inebriated people sleeping around waiting for the trains to restart around 5:30am, since they missed the last train earlier in the evening.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They threw a party after work on my very last day there.

I thought it was for me, but apparently they combined it with the End of Summer party.

I bought three bottles of Jack on the way to the station that morning.

They made a nice klinking noise in my backpack all day. Got lots of questions about that.

View attachment 246676

Our group must have been important, as we had pretty good seats for the show.

View attachment 246677

Attendance was around 4 to 5 thousand.

As always, the party ended at 9:30 so you would have time to go to your "second party" on the way home, and not exceed the 11:00pm time (back then) when most of the trains stopped running.

I've heard the hours are extended now.

If you went by the station around 2am, there would typically be all kinds of inebriated people sleeping around waiting for the trains to restart around 5:30am, since they missed the last train earlier in the evening.
Haha why bother? Better to go back to work and sleep at the cubicle. Or McDonalds at least.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yeah, but cubicle is infinitely better than open-office.:eek:
Having worked in ALL of the below environments over the last 25 years in the tech industry, I rate them like this:

work from home > office at work > cubicle > open office

Now that I work from home, I doubt I will ever take a job again in my life that requires an office presence. Especially since I went full audophile with my home office, room treatments and all. Work life is SO much better for me at home. Open office is so distracting for engineering, I had no idea how much the constant interruptions and context switching built stress in me all day long.

MAB

Major Contributor
Having worked in ALL of the below environments over the last 25 years in the tech industry, I rate them like this:

work from home > office at work > cubicle > open office

Now that I work from home, I doubt I will ever take a job again in my life that requires an office presence. Especially since I went full audophile with my home office, room treatments and all. Work life is SO much better for me at home. Open office is so distracting for engineering, I had no idea how much the constant interruptions and context switching built stress in me all day long.
Yeah, open office was pitched to us with lots of glittering pictures of clean open modern seating. And snake-oil white-papers about productivity.
By a guy who never did a day of work in his life:
GettyImages-1079941750.jpg

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Reactions: MAB

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The dream...

View attachment 246668

The reality...

View attachment 246667

The dude's wearing a tie!
Reminds of when I worked for Sony in US. They built a new headquarter in San Jose. Plans called for no vents and the walls breathing with pressurized air! Lighting was supposed to be this advanced system far better than fluorescents. All outside walls were supposed to be solid glass. Well, before the move in, they found out that the building was not to earthquake code. So they put these massive metal cross beams in front of every window! Then went the lighting plan and standard terrible shoplight fluorescents installed in dropped ceiling. While they were at it, they dropped the plan for fancy air system and up went the vents in the drop ceiling.

Top Bottom