• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Kali Audio monitor

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
very interesting, and yes, more EQ than I initially thought, certainly more dB in the upper freq, not a negative, just more than I would have thought
The passive crossover is essentially there to high and low pass the drivers to prevent over excursion and to shape the response within the bandwidth both drivers share. The response is probably uncorrected outside of those requirements.

This is the right approach for a hybrid crossover.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Maybe they are after the customers of KEF R3 Meta. Curious to see how they compare.

"The woofer design has been refined, and incorporates features that reduce magnetic flux modulation, bringing distortion down dramatically."
Thinking of Purifi woofers here
The market for this and the R3 Meta couldn't be further apart.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The market for this and the R3 Meta couldn't be further apart.
I disagree. Both are passive bookshelf speakers, coax, vented box, 3 way, around 2k usd a pair. And we will see how it spins, but based on the other models, should be great too, just like R3 Meta. So in my point of view they are very comparable indeed.

@KaliAudio_Official Maybe with the option of standard binding posts instead of integration connectors and that's it.

Last edited:

3125b

Major Contributor
27Hz -10dB (31.5Hz -3dB) on that sub is nothing to write home about it seems, similar to the JBL LSR310S and some others in that price category.
And it´s 400WRMS, the 1kW figure is peak - marketing just throwing big numbers out there again. Still, probably one of the better options among studio monitors in that price range if group delay is low and the crossover has decent SNR.

It´s not that small either, certainly not for something specifically advertised as small.
It´s not huge, but at 41 liters compared to:
Dynaudio 9S: 23,5l (my small sub)
Adam Sub8: 40.5l
Dynaudio 18S: 42l
Neumann KH750DSP: 48.4l
JBL LSR310S: 68l
Monolith 12" THX Ultra: 148l (my big sub)
... it´s not exactly tiny, however compared to their massive WS-12 at 111.1l it might seem so :)

Last edited:

3125b

Major Contributor

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I disagree. Both are passive bookshelf speakers, coax, vented box, 3 way, around 2k usd a pair. And we will see how it spins, but based on the other models, should be great too, just like R3 Meta. So in my point of view they are very comparable indeed.

@KaliAudio_Official Maybe with the option of standard binding posts instead of integration connectors and that's it.
You need an amplifier with a DSP to get the response correct on this. It will not work with standard consumer audio amplifiers. Its like a JBL M2.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I looked at the config files for bi amping and there is a surprising lot of PEQ:

Woofer:
HP: BW 12dB/oct, 47.4Hz
LP: LR 24dB/oct, 259Hz
Midrange/Tweeter:
HP: BW 6dB/oct, 1430Hz, inverted phase

EQ:
56.8Hz, 4.5dB, Q 1.42
205Hz, 1.2dB, Q 2
260Hz, 2.4dB, Q 2.04
497Hz, 2.8dB, Q 3.73
838Hz, -0.7dB, Q 2.08
1552Hz, 1.3dB, Q 3.64
4968Hz, 2.9dB, Q 1.91
7498Hz, -6.6, Q 2.7
11376Hz, -8.2dB, Q 3.48

You don't need those expensive pro amps with build in DSP. Any PC based DSP with a multichannel DAC, a miniDSP or a CamillaDSP based RPi should work fine.
I wonder if it's really needed to byamp them or if they're good enough in their passive single wire mode.

How does one replicate exactly the expected limiter behaviour, though?

FYI: "Using the SM-5-Cs without a peak limiter will void your warranty."

Limiter Setting In (a) Field​

I see Dave Gunness lounging there in the background as well. :D

Last edited:

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How does one replicate exactly the expected limiter behaviour, though?
Data for the peak limiter is also in the config file and can be replicated with something like CamillaDSP.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Data for the peak limiter is also in the config file and can be replicated with something like CamillaDSP.

I'm afraid I'm an ignoramus when it comes to this... just for the heck of it, let's just imagine a hypothetical scenario:

Suppose I've got a spare Hypex NC252MP 2-ch Amplifier and a miniDSP flex (balanced) that I could freely use. How would one apply the "limiter" (same as compressor?) setting appropriately/reliably based on the Lea config file information?

Pritaudio

You will need 4 channel amp for 2 ways, and the flex can handle each and every driver.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
You will need 4 channel amp for 2 ways, and the flex can handle each and every driver.

Bi-amping is not necessary for these monitors, though it is desirable. My hypothetical scenario did not say explicitly two studio monitors were to be used. A single one either bi-amped or single-amped works just as well.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I'm afraid I'm an ignoramus when it comes to this... just for the heck of it, let's just imagine a hypothetical scenario:

Suppose I've got a spare Hypex NC252MP 2-ch Amplifier and a miniDSP flex (balanced) that I could freely use. How would one apply the "limiter" (same as compressor?) setting appropriately/reliably based on the Lea config file information?

Hmmmn... Since I did not get an answer, I presume this isn't as simple or straightforward as simply copying and pasting a few PEQs after all.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's similar to the JBL 705i - it has a passive crossover designed to be EQ'd by a professional networked amplifier. Simplifies installation in multichannel installations - you just need to run speaker cable instead of AC and XLR or whatever.

This is not really a speaker for home users.
At 24 lbs. each, definitely dense for a passive speaker. However, if they were going to go this far for pro use, maybe have the option for fully DSP active XO for those with the pro electronics to tune this thing to death.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That would be like $1500 per speaker. I understand the need to increase profit but in that price range there is a lot of competition starting from Genelec. Kali Audio played a big and important role on audio market with good and inexpensive speakers.
At $1500 per speaker you're priced the same as the latest Neuman KH120-II with AES67 connection ($1250) including MA1 room correction ($250)! It's unlikely a pro studio is thinking Kali Audio over the KH120-II for the same price especially given Neumann's sterling reputation and matching suite of top notch equipment (microphones, interfaces, etc.)

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
At 24 lbs. each, definitely dense for a passive speaker. However, if they were going to go this far for pro use, maybe have the option for fully DSP active XO for those with the pro electronics to tune this thing to death.

The specs say 21 lbs.

The passive xo is necessary in this design. The speakers are already required to be DSP'd on top of that... I really do not understand what you believe is wrong or missing with these monitors. A professional install will require calibration as well... It's missing automagic calibration? so what? Rather obvious that this is not for regular "home users" as has already been mentioned.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The specs say 21 lbs.

The passive xo is necessary in this design. The speakers are already required to be DSP'd on top of that... I really do not understand what you believe is wrong or missing with these monitors. A professional install will require calibration as well... It's missing automagic calibration? so what? Rather obvious that this is not for regular "home users" as has already been mentioned.
ooops I was looking at the "shipping weight"
It's not "missing" anything at all especially for the price, I think these are great and appears competently designed/engineered. Probably among the highest performing 5" woofer monitors out there when matched to the right amplifiers (let's see when @amirm can get this measured). With another Benchmark AHB2, I'd pair these with my Trinnov ST-2 for sure!

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At $1500 per speaker you're priced the same as the latest Neuman KH120-II with AES67 connection ($1250) including MA1 room correction ($250)! It's unlikely a pro studio is thinking Kali Audio over the KH120-II for the same price especially given Neumann's sterling reputation and matching suite of top notch equipment (microphones, interfaces, etc.)

I was thinking the same thing. JBL, Neumann and Genelec sit on top of the monitor market (unless we're talking about stuff like Meyer and Augspurger but somewhat different use case) and to release a product at that price point is a pretty bold move.

Also worth noting that Neumann monitors are made in Ireland/Czech Republic, Genelec in Finland. JBL 708 are made in Mexico and Kali in China.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I was thinking the same thing. JBL, Neumann and Genelec sit on top of the monitor market (unless we're talking about stuff like Meyer and Augspurger but somewhat different use case) and to release a product at that price point is a pretty bold move.

Also worth noting that Neumann monitors are made in Ireland/Czech Republic, Genelec in Finland. JBL 708 are made in Mexico and Kali in China.

The primary difference I see is that it's a three-way coax. The more the merrier...

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe they are after the customers of KEF R3 Meta. Curious to see how they compare.

Could be Genelec, as there's no other competitor that has mountable coaxial speakers like this besides them, and the Kali's are arguably simpler to install since they won't need audio+power+ethernet.

Will be nice to have a competitor for immersive audio. Maybe Kii and Dutch & Dutch could make a good center channel, and some additional mounting options.

Doesn't matter so much for studio work, but in a home it's nice to have coaxial speakers that have good vertical dispersion when ceiling mounting them and if some in the audience are close to a surround speaker... and to use them on their sides as a center. Or if you have to place them off axis a bit due to windows doors or shelves.

Top Bottom