• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Kali Audio monitor

AM88

Seems there is a new monitor being displayed at NAMM from their Instagram page . Not sure exactly what type it is, a passive for sure with the ability to be tri amped with a purpose built amp later down down the line probably with dsp somewhere in there also.
SM-5-C is the name and this is all I could find online.
SM-5-C
Its msrp is just under a grand USD for 1 unit?
Looks quite nice.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That is one great looking speaker. Huge waveguide around that coax. Can't wait to see it reviewed here or at Erin's.

kali-sm-5-c_8_.jpg

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Passive, and uses 'tuning files' which are compatible with Lea amplifiers. Some professional interface no doubt. Interesting to see Kali moving in that direction.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why passive though ?
It's similar to the JBL 705i - it has a passive crossover designed to be EQ'd by a professional networked amplifier. Simplifies installation in multichannel installations - you just need to run speaker cable instead of AC and XLR or whatever.

This is not really a speaker for home users.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting, mid and woofer look similar to the Kali IN-5 ones but this time having a metal dome tweeter, also crossover frequencies are similar.
Looking forward to the measurements and hope the updated drivers and enclosure? will be seen also in an updated active monitor as an upgrade to the IN series.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor

I tried looking for some of the cheaper pro audio DSP amps… I think cheapest one is still over $2,000 here in Canada. They all have “noise” generating fans inside… Yep, definitely meant for a dedicated pro install.

dziemian

It would be nice if you could disconnect internal passive xo and use your own with active dsp

JktHifi

It's similar to the JBL 705i - it has a passive crossover designed to be EQ'd by a professional networked amplifier. Simplifies installation in multichannel installations - you just need to run speaker cable instead of AC and XLR or whatever.

I am home user, prefer direct contact with copper inside cable. Reduce component is better for environment. Climate change!

Reactions: 617

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe they are after the customers of KEF R3 Meta. Curious to see how they compare.

"The woofer design has been refined, and incorporates features that reduce magnetic flux modulation, bringing distortion down dramatically."
Thinking of Purifi woofers here

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
"The woofer design has been refined, and incorporates features that reduce magnetic flux modulation, bringing distortion down dramatically."
Thinking of Purifi woofers here
Except, this time it didn't work...

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Let's wait and see before passing judgment, right?

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
  • Recommended Listening Distance: 4 Meters
I think it's great that they give that guidance, i.e. midfield. (Wouldn't be suitable for me - but I don't need anything either).

Last edited:

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Interesting speakers if they are usable without the EQ presets as conventional passive speakers. Would like to see some third party measurements and a version with a bigger bass driver for more bass extension or more headroom.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Now a center channel with woofer - coax - woofer and boom, Kali is into home theaters!

Mario Sanchez

Taking a page from the LS50 with the circular front baffle.
I'd say something more inline with the whole "shadow flare" thing except without the issues associated with mating a plastic ring to a MDF cabinet, as it's integrated into the baffle piece.

Last edited:
OP
A

AM88

It would be nice if you could disconnect internal passive xo and use your own with active dsp
I think you can. On the back of the speaker are 2 connecting options. One pair of connectors for the internal crossover and next to this set, 3pairs, 1 for each driver I presume. As mentioned in this thread you might have to use a particular amp/dsp though, rather than say your own and a mini dsp. Time will tell. I hope the performance is inline with the price, if it is, it should be another great option.

Top Bottom