• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New JBL SA750 Integrated Amplifier for US $3000.00

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As a point of comparison, these original JBL amps were pretty bare boned, compared to the then up and coming Japanese product. No switchable filters, fixed tone control values, limited channel selection and tape copy facility. Stereo Review points this out, but in typical Hirsch style he says (I'm paraphrasing), "Well, even though that important stuff you expect at this price point is not in there, you probably don't need all those bells and whistles anyway!" Electrically it had low noise/distortion (for the day)--back then he was able to measure down to 0.1%.

PS: To their credit JBL was using a pretty rigorous, FTC-like power rating schedule in their advertising. If this had been almost any other brand it would be advertised as a 120 watt per channel ('music power') amp.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
JBL used their "T" output circuitry, which was 'early class G' on the original version of this amp. It was advanced at its time, but I must say, having worked on probably a dozen JBL amps which used this circuitry, they could be very unstable - like messing with very old Dynamite. :eek:

JBL T Circuit (this link automatically downloads a PDF)

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
it sounds like a rebadged version of the Arcam SA30...
It certainly does. Which means you can configure any analog input as a home theatre one (except phono) and no phono sub filter. However, you can have 3 dirac filters that can be assigned by input so could use a seperate one for phono with a sub filter or to eq the cart I guess? SA30 same RRP as well.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Wait I already posted this

Hell no.

Balance controls are essential!

What are you thinking?
I think what bothers me is the balance knob is too large and it's above the volume control. That seems backwards to me.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I've worked on a number of their electronics, and while they weren't horrible, they were not great either. I'd go for something from Yamaha for instance if I were wanting to buy a 'retro' inspired component.

It's certainly not a brand I think of first when it comes to quality or high end audio electronics, especially in a retro sense.

For me, the only compelling thing about this product is the Dirac and Roon, and, in addition the M33, there are lots of ways to add Dirac and Roon to an integrated amp.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ergonomically, from an installation standpoint, the original amp was different from the usual thing, as it's inputs were on the bottom of the unit.

sa600-bottom.jpg

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This was likely designed with a console/cabinet installation in mind. In the '60s a lot of hi-fi gear was installed into cabinets facing up or angled. The back of the unit was usually open, allowing easy access to the components.

stereo2.jpg

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What Hi Fi is worthless. Almost everything gets a five star. Maybe everything deserves it. I checked out a 3 star review and they were complaining about an amplifier that:

...doesn’t quite make the Vienna Philharmonic sound like the Portsmouth Sinfonia, but it does raise the question of how erratic timing, along with a lack of dynamic expression, can destroy a performance over clarity or notation. It struggles to organise or cue instruments, lacking impetus on leading notes to leave rhythms all but reliant on the listener’s interpretation, and effectively depriving musicians of their emotion.

Completely idiotic statements. When you read something like that it makes you wonder if enough money didn't get handed out before the review? How can anyone take them seriously?

This statement should be framed, it would be absolutely masterful if it was written in parody of the genre, but I can’t help feeling that it is even more beautiful for its total vacuousness and lack of shame.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It certainly makes one wonder if Amir is measuring the wrong things. Why no graphs of dynamic expression, organization, impetus, interpretation, and emotion. The problem may be a lack of measurement standards. Perhaps use of emojis would suffice.

Mind you, I am now a fan of the Portsmouth sinfonia so I guess What HiFi has inadvertently produced one useful nugget of information buried in a cesspit of hyper-misinformation:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portsmouth_Sinfonia

MrPeabody

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Mind you, I am now a fan of the Portsmouth sinfonia so I guess What HiFi has inadvertently produced one useful nugget of information buried in a cesspit of hyper-misinformation:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portsmouth_Sinfonia

Oh man. I had no idea. That recording of the William Tell was without doubt the funniest thing I have heard or seen in years. I laughed until I cried, and I can't stop laughing because I can't get the sound out of my head!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
It's certainly not a brand I think of first when it comes to quality or high end audio electronics, especially in a retro sense.
I guess it depends on one's definition of retro.
Classic JBL/Altec-era "retro"? I concur.
Boomer-era* "retro"? Well... you tell me...

DSC_0180 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

1610378530704.png

DSC_0241 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the mid '60s. the JBL catalog showed concepts that are routine today, but back then were rather novel. Powered speakers (amp in the speaker enclosure) using their 'Energizer' technology, with EQ adapted to the individual drivers being powered. From their 1967 catalog.

amps.jpg

Top Bottom