• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New JBL SA750 Integrated Amplifier for US $3000.00

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
https://news.harman.com/releases/releases-20210105

SA750-RED-DOT-003b_mid.jpg

typericey

Needs to be measured as soon as available.

Reactions: 617
OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if it has a subsonic filter operating on that MC/MM input.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
From their press release: 'If the walls of JBL’s storied Northridge, CA design center could talk, they’d sing the accolades of 75 years of pioneering acoustic, transducer and electronic design'.

Nope, they'd be sobbing at the gutting of a once great manufacturing company who sold out, sold their 'storied' manufacturing buidings for strip mall development, and laid off or fired many dedicated workers.

Last edited:

typericey

Initial thoughts:

- retro aesthetics are okay to my eyes and definitely better than the Marantz Model 30
- I have to read up on Class G
- Lexicon engineered electronics?
- awesome that Dirac is included.
- balance knob needs to be deleted

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It needs tone controls or EQ. :D Perhaps add a DSP processor if it has a loop at the back.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Were those JBL amps from the 60s and 70s any good?

Since this new SA750 has physical toggle switches, does it mean no remote control? I guess retro means retro. :)

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Were those JBL amps from the 60s and 70s any good?

Since this new SA750 has physical toggle switches, does it mean no remote control? I guess retro means retro. :)
I've worked on a number of their electronics, and while they weren't horrible, they were not great either. I'd go for something from Yamaha for instance if I were wanting to buy a 'retro' inspired component.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Definitely retro design.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I have to read up on Class G
It's fancy class AB. IIRC Benchmark uses something similar in the AHB2 (that might be class H, though?).

typericey

it sounds like a rebadged version of the Arcam SA30...

Good catch. You might be right. And it's not a bad thing isn't it? FWIW (very little), the Arcam got 5 stars at What Hi-Fi.

typericey

From their press release: 'If the walls of JBL’s storied Northridge, CA design center could talk, they’d sing the accolades of 75 years of pioneering acoustic, transducer and electronic design'.

Nope, they'd be sobbing at the gutting of a once great manufacturing company who sold out, sold their 'storied' manufacturing buidings for strip mall development, and laid off or fired many dedicated workers.

Just out of curiosity, would you know if Chris Hagen is part of the original engineers i.e. contemporaries of Greg Timbers and Jerry Moro? Or is he already new blood?

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW (very little), the Arcam got 5 stars at What Hi-Fi.
What Hi Fi is worthless. Almost everything gets a five star. Maybe everything deserves it. I checked out a 3 star review and they were complaining about an amplifier that:

...doesn’t quite make the Vienna Philharmonic sound like the Portsmouth Sinfonia, but it does raise the question of how erratic timing, along with a lack of dynamic expression, can destroy a performance over clarity or notation. It struggles to organise or cue instruments, lacking impetus on leading notes to leave rhythms all but reliant on the listener’s interpretation, and effectively depriving musicians of their emotion.

Completely idiotic statements. When you read something like that it makes you wonder if enough money didn't get handed out before the review? How can anyone take them seriously?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
She's a looker that's for sure.
They did styling very well, and their ads were extremely well done, with a very slick look. Now, they're just a division of a mobile phone company. Geesh. :(

Top Bottom