• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New JBL closed back measurements

markanini

Major Contributor
Sean Olive shared some measurements on his social media of upcoming JBL models.

190270553-10226369381962348-8155885728781037691-n.jpg

190658619-10226369381602339-8451543104082862901-n.jpg

193064030-10226369381802344-1024619528207650839-n.jpg

E2f3q-Bw-VIAE1-M4h.jpg

3125b

Major Contributor
Wow, not too bad at all. , especially the 710.
I don't think distortion would be a problem, it wasn't in any of the cheap closed-back headphones in Amirs tests if I remember right.

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wow, not too bad at all. , especially the 710.
I don't think distortion would be a problem, it wasn't in any of the cheap closed-back headphones in Amirs tests if I remember right.

The problem would be : will they measure as well on your own head ? The K371 is a typical example of a pair of headphones that can vary quite wildly depending on sample variation, package conditioning (crumpled pads), or listeners’ anatomical variations vs. design.
Heck even with the decent sample I own the sole act of leaning forward or backward noticeably changes the FR…

3125b

Major Contributor
True, but that's a concern with any closed-back relying on perfect seal. I have zero problems with the K371 specifically, but some people definitely do. These seem to have a plastic headband as well, but that's just the reality of this sort of "fast fashion headphone" (if you will), certainly at those lower price points.

OP
M

markanini

Major Contributor
The problem would be : will they measure as well on your own head ? The K371 is a typical example of a pair of headphones that can vary quite wildly depending on sample variation, package conditioning (crumpled pads), or listeners’ anatomical variations vs. design.
Heck even with the decent sample I own the sole act of leaning forward or backward noticeably changes the FR…
The crumpled pads were fixed in later batches. But yeah the headband design is a fail. We will find out eventually if Harman learned their lesson.

WickedInsignia

WHY does anyone put the cable inputs on the right earcup?!
I get these are wireless, but I like listening wired and that makes them hell to use at a desk while working. Sennheiser’s been doing it with some models and now JBL’s on the same crack!

OP
M

markanini

Major Contributor
I demoed a JBL Tune 750BT, looks virtually identical and sounds pretty much like I expected the 710BT to sound going by the measurement. Bad news if you had an inconsistent fit issue on AKG K371, causing a loss of sub frequencies, these have the same issue.

Also demoed a JBL Club 950, more consistent seal, but clearly a warm coloration. I don't know how similar the 950 sounds to the Club One that's been measured.

Attachments

• jbl club one.jpg
    jbl club one.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 298

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Would quite like to see the JBL Tune 710 measured by Amir, looks like a good value closed back following Harman pretty close - would like to see bass distortion and assuming it can be EQ'd even if it is an active feedback headphone, but don't know if it is one, I'm ignorant on that......just the frequency response is promising & I'd like to see it reviewed here, for distortion & listening test by Amir, etc.

Last edited:

isostasy

Here's a flate-plate coupler measurement of the JBL 760NC, with HD6XX for reference:

760NC.jpg

I think it sounds great. Turning NC on boosts the bass, and I predict that with NC off it would measure the same as the 710BT. As you can see it overshoots the harman bass shelf with NC on, which gives music extra 'thump' without making it sound 'boomy'. My measurement certainly doesn't demonstrate as much extra bass as @Sean Olive 's, shared in the first post above, however. Also bear in mind this was with the best possible seal I could get, and some prior measurements showed less bass. If you have ears which do not fit in the cups, I can't see any way you are going to get the full bass response.

The peak at 6khz may be partly down to my FPC. It's there on Dr. Olive's measurement, but doesn't look as big. Removing it requires a very narrow band peaking filter, which I suspect doesn't match up to how peaks in that region will actually exhibit with the headphones on your head, and removes some sense of 'clarity', for example by dulling cymbals.

These have been on sale in the UK for 50 pounds some places, which I think is a steal. At their RRP of twice that, I don't know, because I have no knowledge of or experience with any competitors. There don't seem to be many headphones with the same features in that price range, however, so I suspect these would be a good buy even at full price too.

I agree with @Robbo99999 that some measurements on a proper fixture would be great for some of these low budget options!

Notes:

- Passive mode does not measure well at all
- NC creates a noticeable squirmy, humming sound, though I've never listened to ANC headphones before so don't know how unusual this is.
- They feel reasonably solid for the price, though I'd be careful with the headband as I'm not sure of the construction and it looks like a possible weak point, even if you're trying to wrap these round a larger head.

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The peak at 6khz may be partly down to my FPC. It's there on Dr. Olive's measurement, but doesn't look as big. Removing it requires a very narrow band peaking filter, which I suspect doesn't match up to how peaks in that region will actually exhibit with the headphones on your head, and removes some sense of 'clarity', for example by dulling cymbals.

The FP rig is likely to introduce errors in terms of the relative difference between headphones indeed (not just, obviously, the absolute values). That said I also measure a peak near 6kHz for my sample, on my own head, with in ear mics (blocked ear canal entrance mics), with a 710BT. Whether that will necessarily applies to everyone else, or to all samples of the 710BT/760NC, IDK.

Here it is compared to two samples of the HD650, including one tested both with broken in, but not completely worn out pads, and brand new revised pads (dotted trace).
The three grey traces are vague guesstimates of how the Harman target is meant to measure like with these mics, one an average of seven passive, open over-ears (two HD58X, one HD650, Sundara, Clear MG, HE400SE, and HD560S), the other one an average of six passive HPs from Harman, unEQed, which score well against the target on ear simulators. Don't read too much into it but it can provide some form of reference.

710BT.jpg

- NC creates a noticeable squirmy, humming sound, though I've never listened to ANC headphones before so don't know how unusual this is.

All ANC headphones that I've tried produce one way or another some form of background noise, but some are a lot more discreet and pleasant than others, and I haven't tried the 760NC.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
My 710s are still going well.

Over Bluetooth, they don’t go loud. I suspect that’s a limitation of the internal amplification, deliberately geld back to avoid distortion.

No matter, they’re fine as they are, and it’s a good excuse to not damage my hearing.

isostasy

The FP rig is likely to introduce errors in terms of the relative difference between headphones indeed (not just, obviously, the absolute values). That said I also measure a peak near 6kHz for my sample, on my own head, with in ear mics (blocked ear canal entrance mics), with a 710BT. Whether that will necessarily applies to everyone else, or to all samples of the 710BT/760NC, IDK.

Here it is compared to two samples of the HD650, including one tested both with broken in, but not completely worn out pads, and brand new revised pads (dotted trace).
The three grey traces are vague guesstimates of how the Harman target is meant to measure like with these mics, one an average of seven passive, open over-ears (two HD58X, one HD650, Sundara, Clear MG, HE400SE, and HD560S), the other one an average of six passive HPs from Harman, unEQed, which score well against the target on ear simulators. Don't read too much into it but it can provide some form of reference.

View attachment 260879

All ANC headphones that I've tried produce one way or another some form of background noise, but some are a lot more discreet and pleasant than others, and I haven't tried the 760NC.
It doesn't help that I'm always making small modifications to my FPC as well! Interesting to see measurements on a real human ear, thanks for sharing. There is a lot going on but I can make out that the 710BT basically seems to measure well and not deviate much from other well regarded headphones.
My 710s are still going well.

Over Bluetooth, they don’t go loud. I suspect that’s a limitation of the internal amplification, deliberately geld back to avoid distortion.

No matter, they’re fine as they are, and it’s a good excuse to not damage my hearing.
Yes, I measured a 10dB difference between active and passive. In active mode they required the same amplification as my HD6XX to reach the same SPL! This was through my Scarlett Focusrite however (you can still switch on the active circuit even when receiving input through the 3.5mm cable), so I don't know how powerful the amplifier inside the headphones is.

Top Bottom