• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New JBL 4349 Speakers

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Hope they rewrite the manual I read it , it was mostly marketing speak too and no good specs.
The manual even included a long burn in period :facepalm:

That said looking forward to measurements on this one.

Perhaps it was April fools, or someone at marketing dept. got bored working from home...
- a compact, high-performance bookshelf loudspeaker
- delivers music with authority and accuracy not possible with traditional loudspeaker designs.
- Pure-pulp cone woofer for powerful dynamics and incredibly accurate sound reproduction
- an advanced crossover network design that features air-core inductors, cast wire-wound resistors and low-ESR metallized film capacitors in a multi-cap configuration
- 3-inch (75mm) long-throw voice coil in conjunction with dual opposing spider dampers guarantee maximum output with significantly reduced distortion

Anyway, I believe that this is a very good loudspeaker! Dual diaphragm compression driver with M2 horn is pure work of art. Box is classic and solid. Bass most likely has rather high tuning to get maximal spl. Subwoofer(s) are needed for full range hifi at home.

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Hope they rewrite the manual I read it , it was mostly marketing speak too and no good specs.
The manual even included a long burn in period :facepalm:

That said looking forward to measurements on this one.

And it has instructions for bi-wire!

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps it was April fools, or someone at marketing dept. got bored working from home...
- a compact, high-performance bookshelf loudspeaker
- delivers music with authority and accuracy not possible with traditional loudspeaker designs.
- Pure-pulp cone woofer for powerful dynamics and incredibly accurate sound reproduction
- an advanced crossover network design that features air-core inductors, cast wire-wound resistors and low-ESR metallized film capacitors in a multi-cap configuration
- 3-inch (75mm) long-throw voice coil in conjunction with dual opposing spider dampers guarantee maximum output with significantly reduced distortion

Anyway, I believe that this is a very good loudspeaker! Dual diaphragm compression driver with M2 horn is pure work of art. Box is classic and solid. Bass most likely has rather high tuning to get maximal spl. Subwoofer(s) are needed for full range hifi at home.

Yes I too really thinks this is a good one , and i'm all for a rather high bass tuning , many two ways have an almost unrealistically low tuning partnered with it's drawbacks as low effieciency etc (clearly sub optimised ,for example why 35Hz with a 6.5" driver give me 45hz and 3dB more eficinecy and spl please). So sub may be needed if your into to that really low bass.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And it has instructions for bi-wire!

yea and claims that it sounds better ! too .
I must aplaud Dynaudio for simly not having biwire terminals on thier speakers or have they given up and include them too nowadays ?

Off topic , Do samsung/harman own any speaker cable company if soo moar triwire speakers :p( they exist sadly )

peanuts

this is the EQ profile of the m2 horn, i wonder how they do it passive
m2fir.JPG

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Still single wire to my knowledge. My 2018 model Contour 20s are single wire.
Well, some folks will want to bi-amp. So the added terminals make that possible.
They also make it easy to independently measure the tweeter and woofer.
This alone makes them desirable in my book.
Bi-wire = sure it is market driven but I don't see why not to do it if the terminals are there. If you are on this site your wire was very inexpensive. Just run two for extra maybey's and think nothing of it.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Well, some folks will want to bi-amp. So the added terminals make that possible.
They also make it easy to independently measure the tweeter and woofer.
This alone makes them desirable in my book.
Bi-wire = sure it is market driven but I don't see why not to do it if the terminals are there. If you are on this site your wire was very inexpensive. Just run two for extra maybey's and think nothing of it.

I'm a bit confused....my comment was in response to someone asking about Dynaudio, which are all single wire.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
JBL HDI 3800 = $5000

JBL 4349 = $7500

The horn appears to be the same and the 4349 data sheet says it's an HDI horn:

" Patented High-Definition Imaging (HDITM) horn, precision-molded in Sonoglass"

Bass and sensitivity specs are darn close (37 Hz -6 dB vs 32 Hz -6 dB, 92 dB vs 91 db).

And the HDI 3800 doesn't need a stand.

So what does one get for that extra $2500?

I'm not familiar enough with JBL compression drivers to know if the one in the 4349 is $2500 better, or just different.

Or is it just $2500 to pay for the retro looks?

aac

You'll get better directivity control (if crossover is ok on these).

aac

Why?

And that 12" woofer crossed over at 1500 to 1700 Hz (whichever) looks suspiciously close to beaming.
Wider baffle and larger cone.
The wider you get the lower you can control directivity, unless you use some tricks with special acoustic boxes like cardioid vents.
It's from another manufacturer but it's easy to demonstrate like this. The larger the woofer and baffle the lower directivity control goes, speaker becomes an omniderictional lower in frequency..
Genelec 8330, 8350, S360, 1236
8330A_horizontal_directivity.png

8350A_horizontal_directivity.png

S360a_horizontal_directivity.jpg

1236A_horizontal_directivity.jpg

D2415K compression driver is significantly more expensive than 2410H and is larger.

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Wider baffle and larger cone.
The larger the woofer and baffle the lower directivity control goes, speaker becomes an omniderictional lower in frequency..

Where is that breakpoint?

Between sub crossovers and Schroeder impact, it seems like it wouldn't matter much if it's much below a few hundred Hz.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
JBL HDI 3800 = $5000

JBL 4349 = $7500

The horn appears to be the same and the 4349 data sheet says it's an HDI horn:

" Patented High-Definition Imaging (HDITM) horn, precision-molded in Sonoglass"

Bass and sensitivity specs are darn close (37 Hz -6 dB vs 32 Hz -6 dB, 92 dB vs 91 db).

And the HDI 3800 doesn't need a stand.

So what does one get for that extra $2500?

I'm not familiar enough with JBL compression drivers to know if the one in the 4349 is $2500 better, or just different.

Or is it just $2500 to pay for the retro looks?

The HDI looks WAY better(IMO), though I know some folks like that retro look. I guess I’m too young to really appreciate it.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The HDI looks WAY better(IMO), though I know some folks like that retro look. I guess I’m too young to really appreciate it.

Now I'm curious how young that is.

Hipster Millenials into retro hi fi aren't that old.... :)

But Gen Y are more into headphones...

Top Bottom