• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New JBL 4349 Speakers

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Because the Gaia's look cool.

And spikes are the feet that came with my stands.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, the aesthetic does nothing for me.....I think of what they charge for those things and throw up a little in my mouth :)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
So yes, if you don't like black speakers, then you might rate those speakers ever so slightly worse than you would with a different color

I think there was a study once that listeners perceived darker speakers to have deeper bass.

Maybe there's a negative bias there(due to recent interactions)? .

Sure, interactions need not lead to a positive bias.

Vintage57

Forum Donor
Back to the topic on hand the JBL 4349, I'm keenly interested in the measurements, for a reason beyond curiosity. I had the bigger brother, the 4367 in my home for about 6 months. I will keep my impressions till after the review.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As for the Harman bias? Maybe there's a positive bias there?
There is assumption of competence there seeing how they follow the same measurements we do, and perform controlled blind tests. Yet this is what I said when I started to listen to the Revel F35 speaker:

1596129465389.png

Clearly no positive bias demonstrated there.

Here is the bottom line and there is no way of getting around it. There is no perfection here. It isn't in blind testing either. Everything is shades of gray as far as subjective evaluation. My ask is to not make broad generalizations about subjective testing. Know that without me performing my listening tests, you have no sanity check on measurements having predictive power or not.

Dmitri

Forum Donor
All humans are not dealers for Harman and have financial motives which is what you said you worried about.

And no, you can't mix me with the general population. I am not situated like you all. I am not protecting a purchase for example. I don't worry how much something costs. I get to play with a new speaker in my system every other day.

I am massively motivated by transparency and providing reliable data to audio scene. You all are not. One wrong move and years of work go out the window together with my reputation which is all I have left in retirement days. In other words, I can't afford to be biased like you all. And despite what you say, I absolutely can control my biases better than most people. It is part of my job, and training. It is
why many of you are here.

It is for a "reason." It is not randomly applied. It is not being used for example to differentiate between a bluetooth speaker and towers.

By your logic we should give a polygraph test to everyone to prove they did not rob a bank....

I respect your commitment to lack of bias Amir. That’s one reason I enjoy this site. No ads popping up for companies whose advertising revenues almost demand “hidden” agenda amongst the reviewers. My ears are not trained as yours either, and it would be unfair of me to doubt your impressions.

Your front end on this thread sounds like a promotional advertisement as opposed to a more wait and see what your 7500 bucks gets you, which quite honestly, doesn’t on the face of it look like much. Upon reading the intro, I was kind of taken aback. Perhaps that’s what it was...not from you, but a cut and paste from JBL? If that was noted, I didn’t see it.

There will always people who question motives. As a population, we’ve been burned too many times not to be on our guard. Real or not real, the current state of our world has multiplied my, and perhaps this applies to most of us, a rush to cynicism and mistrust. I have found myself taking double takes lately on those whose integrity I have previously never questioned. This is a universal issue, and unfortunately I’m afraid your word might be called into question as is many others.

If you can get a chance ...let’s let the measurements do the talking.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
No....

By my logic, judges would recuse themselves from cases in which they have some personal connection.

Which they do.
OK, I will recuse myself. Find someone else to test this speaker then.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Your front end on this thread sounds like a promotional advertisement as opposed to a more wait and see what your 7500 bucks gets you, which quite honestly, doesn’t on the face of it look like much. Upon reading the intro, I was kind of taken aback. Perhaps that’s what it was...not from you, but a cut and paste from JBL? If that was noted, I didn’t see it.
It is a complete cut and paste from JBL. For some reason the page was not on their site but a cached version existed on Google. So I just copied it over. Other than the first line, the rest was not from me.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Back to the topic on hand the JBL 4349, I'm keenly interested in the measurements, for a reason beyond curiosity. I had the bigger brother, the 4367 in my home for about 6 months. I will keep my impressions till after the review.

It looks like sensitivity is the biggest difference in specs:

91 dB vs 94 dB

-6 dB bass points are almost the same: 32 Hz vs 30 Hz.

(of course we all know the perils of bass specs without reference to SPL)

But I'd be crossing over to a sub above that, anyway.

Last edited:

Vintage57

Forum Donor

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, this is just the potential upgrade I've been waiting for!

I might be able to indulge my horn curiousity without shame!

My first thought when I saw Amir's thread title was to "@watchnerd" you, but I see you've found it already.

The manual and spec says 1,5kHz

The page is down. Maybe there is a disconnect between engineering and marketing, because that sounds like an awfully high crossover for 100 degree horizontal dispersion from a 12" woofer.

Synthesis SCL3 in wall has similar woofer width (2x5"), slightly wider horizontal dispersion, half the tweeter (single diaphragm), and 1.3kHz crossover specified crossover. That seems about right to me.

LSR708i is a little wider dispersion but also has a significantly smaller woofer, and 1.7kHz crossover specified.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The page is down. Maybe there is a disconnect between engineering and marketing, because that sounds like an awfully high crossover for 100 degree horizontal dispersion from a 12" woofer.

I was wondering the same thing.

12 " = ~30 cm

Cocktail math suggests it would start beaming at ~1147 hz.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My first thought when I saw Amir's thread title was to "@watchnerd" you, but I see you've found it already.

Synthesis SCL3 in wall has similar woofer width (2x5"), slightly wider horizontal dispersion, half the tweeter (single diaphragm), and 1.3kHz crossover specified crossover. That seems about right to me.

LSR708i is a little wider dispersion but also has a significantly smaller woofer, and 1.7kHz crossover specified.

Hope they rewrite the manual I read it , it was mostly marketing speak too and no good specs.
The manual even included a long burn in period :facepalm:

That said looking forward to measurements on this one.

Top Bottom