• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New JBL 4349 Speakers

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I like these...i dont think i would pay $7500 for them tho....the finish could be nicer...atleast the cabinet is 1 inches thick all the way around...

I agree on the finish comment.

In the photos, they don't look like $7500 speakers.

The Klipsch Heritage series speakers have a better finish at that price.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Apparently the recommended stands are the same JS-120 used for the L100:

fbf7viqz0grly7atr983.jpg

On the plus side, they're cheap.

On the downside, JBL seems to be taking the monitor branding seriously -- these stands are as bland and utilitarian as you'd find in a studio.

On the bigger downside, they don't look like they'd provide very good isolation or vibration resistance.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I thought the 708P were $4k pair / $2k each?

$1k each when they go on B-Stock sale a few times a year. The 705p's go for $500. They've got to do something with the returns I suppose. Never saw a scratch on any of mine.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
@amirm any plans to test this speaker? With your connections through your Revel dealership I was wondering if you might be working on getting a pair for review.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The stands make me wonder ? Is close to the floor tilted up a good position for this speaker ? What is the supposed listening axis really ? I would use a straighter stand with a height to get the middle of the horn at ear level while seated ?
The horn surely have wide dispersion but would not the tilt off the jbl stand dictate a certain distance for your seating ?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Well, I’ll pose the question to you with that in mind.

Do I think it’s a COI? I think it just means if you’re concerned with it then everyone should look at the data and ignore the damn panther.

:D

Here's the thing...

Do I think Amir is dishonest?

No, not in the slightest.

The measurements are transparent.

But when we get to the subjective impressions...

a) We all know sighted bias exists

b) Enthusiast dealers (not Best Buy big box stores) tend, in my experience, to carrying things they like the sound of

So it would be really hard to avoid cognitive bias, even if one tries to.

Which is the dilemma of cognitive bias -- you can't avoid it even if you're aware of it.

So in summary:

Yeah, look at the data, ignore the panther if he reviews these.

(I'll especially have to, given his store is my nearest Synthesis dealer, I think)

Last edited:

PappyBlue

Forum Donor
Apparently the recommended stands are the same JS-120 used for the L100:

fbf7viqz0grly7atr983.jpg

On the plus side, they're cheap.

On the downside, JBL seems to be taking the monitor branding seriously -- these stands are as bland and utilitarian as you'd find in a studio.

On the bigger downside, they don't look like they'd provide very good isolation or vibration resistance.

I use these stands with my JBL L100 Classic. They provide no isolation at all, the small feets are made of hard plastic. I replaced the small feets with a set of Isoacoustics Gaia isolation feet that I had lying around. It provides isolation and height/tilt adjustment. The only issue is the Gaia are worth more than the stands...

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I use these stands with my JBL L100 Classic. They provide no isolation at all, the small feets are made of hard plastic. I replaced the small feets with a set of Isoacoustics Gaia isolation feet that I had lying around. It provides isolation and height/tilt adjustment. The only issue is the Gaia are worth more than the stands...

I hear you on that.

My Contour 20s are on the fairly swanky stands from Dynaudio, but I replaced the feet with Gaias at I think about the same cost as the stands ($500 / pr or so).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm any plans to test this speaker? With your connections through your Revel dealership I was wondering if you might be working on getting a pair for review.
My connections so far have not been worth anything at Harman. :( If they are available to our company (i.e. it is part of JBL Synthesis line), then I can at least get them at a discount. Hopefully someone would want to buy them though instead of me spending thousands just to have a test sample.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
My connections so far have not been worth anything at Harman. :( If they are available to our company (i.e. it is part of JBL Synthesis line), then I can at least get them at a discount. Hopefully someone would want to buy them though instead of me spending thousands just to have a test sample.

Hmmm...I could loan you my Contour 20s so you can measure them and in exchange I could do a home audition of the 4429s....

Assuming I could get a trade-in on the Dynaudios. :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So it would be really hard to avoid cognitive bias, even if one tries to.

Which is the dilemma of cognitive bias -- you can't avoid it even if you're aware of it.
It is not hard for me at all. I test a speaker every other day. I don't have the slightest attachment to any that I test. I justed tested an ugly DIY speaker and gave it high marks: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...esearch-x-ls-encore-kit-speaker-review.14957/

index.php

The guy behind it sells a lot of voodoo tweeks so went in thinking it would not perform. But it did. And I gave it a recommended score.

The thing to worry about me is not bias but variability. I am not a machine. But bias because of something my company sells vs not? No way. I will quit running this site before that ever happens.

You should also know that Harman is basically not giving me time of day. I bought the Revel F328Be because I was not good enough for them to loan me a review sample! Likely this is because of horrible ratings I have given to their electronics (specifically ARCAM).

Really, I didn't think I had to explain all this, much less to our long time members.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a lot of room for unconscious bias in the subjective part of the reviews. Iddon't put much stock in them. I don't see any conscious bias at all. Mistakes? You've made a few and are eager to correct them and learn. Props to you. This place is the best.

Top Bottom