• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New JBL 4349 Speakers

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Just announced. Available in September. Price: $7,500/pair.

JBL 4349 Studio Monitor
12-inch (300mm) 2-way Monitor Loudspeaker

1595977585589.png

The JBL 4349 Studio Monitor is a compact, high-performance bookshelf loudspeaker built around the patented JBL D2415K dual-1.5-inch compression driver mated to a large format horn, paired with a 12-inch, cast-frame Pure-pulp cone woofer. This combination delivers music with authority and accuracy not possible with traditional loudspeaker designs.

Designed and engineered in JBL’s world-famous acoustic engineering facility in Northridge, California, the 4349 Studio Monitor is a showcase of patented JBL acoustics technologies. This monitor loudspeaker features a 2-way design with patented High-Definition Imaging (HDI™) horn technology, the patented D2415K dual 1.5-inch (38mm) compression driver, and a 12-inch (300mm) cast-frame, Pure-pulp cone woofer for powerful dynamics and incredibly accurate sound reproduction.

JBL’s revolutionary High-Definition Imaging horn geometry is the result of intense research into the nuances of horn design. In search of exceptional high-frequency detail and uniform directivity for smooth in-room response, JBL engineers pioneered a design that delivers neutral frequency response both on- and off-axis and provides a seamless transition between the high and low frequency drivers.

The JBL D2415K compression driver benefits from the advanced research and applications derived from JBL Professional’s “D2” range of transducers. At the core of the D2415K device is a pair of lightweight, polymer, annular diaphragms that improve high-frequency extension by reducing diaphragm mass. The V-shaped geometry of the annular diaphragm reduces breakup modes, eliminating time smear and reducing distortion. The result is incredible dynamics with accurate reproduction and a lack of power compression. The “D” prefix indicates that this driver utilizes dual diaphragms, dual voice coils, and dual motors for an incredibly efficient design.

High-frequency and Ultra High-frequency tonal adjusters are located on the front panel below the horn and allow the sound to be tailored to the specific environment and listener preference. These controls work in conjunction with an advanced crossover network design that features air-core inductors, cast wire-wound resistors and low-ESR metallized film capacitors in a multi-cap configuration to optimize the performance of 4349 drive components. The multi-cap technique improves series capacitance by averaging their values while lowering ESR and distortion.

The 4349’s powerful 12-inch (300mm) woofer takes advantage of core JBL engineering techniques to ensure very high output with low distortion. The 3-inch (75mm) long-throw voice coil in conjunction with dual opposing spider dampers guarantee maximum output with significantly reduced distortion. A Pure-pulp cone provides a lightweight, rigid diaphragm and helps to eliminate breakup modes ensuring proper pistonic motion throughout the operating band. The 4349 enclosure is heavily braced with 1-inch (25mm) thick walls to provide a solid acoustic foundation and incorporates a bass reflex design with dual front-firing, computer-optimized flared ports. The cabinet features a classic JBL studio monitor design with a blue baffle and is finished in a choice of Walnut or Black Walnut furniture-grade satin wood veneers. A blue (Walnut) or black (Black Walnut) cloth grille completes the elegant appearance. Dual sets of gold-plated binding posts provide a secure connection and offer a choice of single-ended or bi-wire/bi-amplified connections.

LDKTA

Woah. Still grabbing the M2s... But these look pretty phenomenal. 29" x 17.5" x 13.5"? 83lbs? Very interesting. I love that they're using the same D2415K that is being used in the SCL-2. These remind me of a "mini" variant of the 4367s with a waveguide from the gods.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
$7,500 a pair! I could cover a wall with what - 80 R162 for that

80 R162 might be good.

For the same SPL, you could run each speaker about 33dB lower in power than a single pair.

vitalii427

Forum Donor
Just announced. Available in September. Price: $7,500/pair.

JBL 4349 Studio Monitor
12-inch (300mm) 2-way Monitor Loudspeaker

View attachment 75612

The JBL 4349 Studio Monitor is a compact, high-performance bookshelf loudspeaker built around the patented JBL D2415K dual-1.5-inch compression driver mated to a large format horn, paired with a 12-inch, cast-frame Pure-pulp cone woofer. This combination delivers music with authority and accuracy not possible with traditional loudspeaker designs.

Designed and engineered in JBL’s world-famous acoustic engineering facility in Northridge, California, the 4349 Studio Monitor is a showcase of patented JBL acoustics technologies. This monitor loudspeaker features a 2-way design with patented High-Definition Imaging (HDI™) horn technology, the patented D2415K dual 1.5-inch (38mm) compression driver, and a 12-inch (300mm) cast-frame, Pure-pulp cone woofer for powerful dynamics and incredibly accurate sound reproduction.

JBL’s revolutionary High-Definition Imaging horn geometry is the result of intense research into the nuances of horn design. In search of exceptional high-frequency detail and uniform directivity for smooth in-room response, JBL engineers pioneered a design that delivers neutral frequency response both on- and off-axis and provides a seamless transition between the high and low frequency drivers.

The JBL D2415K compression driver benefits from the advanced research and applications derived from JBL Professional’s “D2” range of transducers. At the core of the D2415K device is a pair of lightweight, polymer, annular diaphragms that improve high-frequency extension by reducing diaphragm mass. The V-shaped geometry of the annular diaphragm reduces breakup modes, eliminating time smear and reducing distortion. The result is incredible dynamics with accurate reproduction and a lack of power compression. The “D” prefix indicates that this driver utilizes dual diaphragms, dual voice coils, and dual motors for an incredibly efficient design.

High-frequency and Ultra High-frequency tonal adjusters are located on the front panel below the horn and allow the sound to be tailored to the specific environment and listener preference. These controls work in conjunction with an advanced crossover network design that features air-core inductors, cast wire-wound resistors and low-ESR metallized film capacitors in a multi-cap configuration to optimize the performance of 4349 drive components. The multi-cap technique improves series capacitance by averaging their values while lowering ESR and distortion.

The 4349’s powerful 12-inch (300mm) woofer takes advantage of core JBL engineering techniques to ensure very high output with low distortion. The 3-inch (75mm) long-throw voice coil in conjunction with dual opposing spider dampers guarantee maximum output with significantly reduced distortion. A Pure-pulp cone provides a lightweight, rigid diaphragm and helps to eliminate breakup modes ensuring proper pistonic motion throughout the operating band. The 4349 enclosure is heavily braced with 1-inch (25mm) thick walls to provide a solid acoustic foundation and incorporates a bass reflex design with dual front-firing, computer-optimized flared ports. The cabinet features a classic JBL studio monitor design with a blue baffle and is finished in a choice of Walnut or Black Walnut furniture-grade satin wood veneers. A blue (Walnut) or black (Black Walnut) cloth grille completes the elegant appearance. Dual sets of gold-plated binding posts provide a secure connection and offer a choice of single-ended or bi-wire/bi-amplified connections.
4367’s little brother. Nice!!!!

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
80 R162 might be good.

For the same SPL, you could run each speaker about 33dB lower in power than a single pair.

Well, the tonal balance would change because of comb filtering, becoming more downward-tilted. So you'd get the full theoretical boost at frequencies where the sources (speakers) are within 1/4 wavelength of each other, but as we go up in frequency there would be progressively more and more cancellation.

If there was a microphone (or listener) location which was equidistant from all of the little speaker, theoretically you'd get the full-spectrum +33 dB there (but not anywhere else) in the first-arrival sound. Everywhere else, the first-arrival sound would have a downward-tilted frequency response, relative to that of a single speaker, the amount of downward tilt varying with the microphone location relative to the speaker array. And of course the reflections would have a downward-tilt regardless of microphone location.

I compete in the bass cab market, where one of the things people want is a 1x10 cab that sounds like an 8x10, just not as loud. Countless DIYers have used the same woofer in a 1x10 and wondered why it didn't sound like a baby version of the 8x10. It's because the significant radiation pattern difference translates to a significant tonality difference. Floyd Toole could explain it better than I do, but bass players don't know who he is.

Last edited:

TBomb25

I like these...i dont think i would pay $7500 for them tho....the finish could be nicer...atleast the cabinet is 1 inches thick all the way around...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I like these...i dont think i would pay $7500 for them tho....the finish could be nicer...atleast the cabinet is 1 inches thick all the way around...

I wonder if these may go on the periodic Harmon/JBL (half price B-Stock) sale...

Might be a worthy upgrade from the 708P's.
I've been very happy with them, but something less FUGLY might not be terrible.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
They are easily worth half price their ugliness is tolerable at that price...lol

I agree. I think a pair of 708P's for $2k is an amazing value, and I'll need something actually worth upgrading to. No issues or complaints from the nine 7 series speakers (6-705p's, 3-708p's) I have. Based on their performance, I'd have no problem trying another JBL.

12" woofer. Yes please.

TBomb25

I agree. I think a pair of 708P's for $2k is an amazing value, and I'll need something actually worth upgrading to. No issues or complaints from the nine 7 series speakers (6-705p's, 3-708p's) I have. Based on their performance, I'd have no problem trying another JBL.

12" woofer. Yes please.
Oh this Big boy will definitely be a upgrade...i didnt know that JBL actually put their higher end speakers on sale...

Top Bottom