• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New JBL 4349 Speakers

Valentin R

The manual specifies the center of the horn should be at ear level

So does the L82 and we know that is not the acoustical axis

“ • If not using the optional stands with built-in angle, then we recommend you to position each speaker so that its tweeter is approximately at ear level.”

Seem that positioning part of the JBL manuals like A copy paste with some alterations

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So does the L82 and we know that is not the acoustical axis

“ • If not using the optional stands with built-in angle, then we recommend you to position each speaker so that its tweeter is approximately at ear level.”

Seem that positioning part of the JBL manuals like A copy paste with some alterations

True, but in the case of the L82 it's not exactly far off. If you recall:

1618945053118.png

I measured at the X, at tweeter height, Harman at the +; the results were nearly identical.

In this case I think it's reasonable to say 'listen at tweeter height' than "the point where the cabinet vertical centerline intersects with a line or plane going through the two lower tweeter screw heads," as it was described to me =].

But yes, in my experience manuals are often copy-pastey and seemingly not very supervised by the engineers. In any case, I always suggest measuring at what the manual says, because that's what people will use. Assuming they read it :). Of course, we can then conclude for ourselves whether another angle might be better using the data.

FaFaFa

The JBL 4429 was a Japan version only at first, the spec are slightly different compared to the later Euro version. They extend down to 38hz -6db, euro version is 40hz -6db. The euro version also have a different tune on the horns with more roll-off to tame some of the sibilance that many Asian people prefer.

Spec for the JP Version
https://www.harman-ownersclub.jp/shared/prod_manual/4429.pdf

Spec for Euro:
https://www.jblsynthesis.com/products/loudspeakers/type/bookshelf-loudspeakers/4429.html
Hi DK,

I'm writing to you because I read on the forum that you have both European and Japanese versions of the JBL 4429s.
For some time I've been undecided between the 4429 and the 4349, although I'm not sure about the latter because I'm afraid they're too big.
Actually I've considered them only because I have the idea that they go down in the low frequencies much more than the 4429.
Then I read where you say that the Japanese version goes down a bit more than the European one but has a different setting in the mid and high frequencies.
I wanted to ask you if your experience can help me understand how much lower the 4349s go than the 4429s.
And secondly, what are the real differences between the Japanese and the European version of the 4429, if the difference in the bass is significant and if the Japanese version loses body in the mid and high frequencies.
If you could help me to understand I would be very grateful :)
thank you, Fa :)

Valentin R

4349 are very good monitor and with a sub it will be spectacular
It can go tremendously loud but it can be head at soft levels with great pleasure
Would use them in a medium to large room
Having some distance from them is great

DK11706

I sold mine recently, got tired of the constant listening fatigue with less than stellar recordings. Some of issues was my room but the 4349 are elevated in the top end and the midrange a little recessed so they will always sound a bit lean. With the low JS-120 stands the bass is muddy, and with the raised BS-360 stands they will need a sub which actually sounds very nice.
With the right setup these speakers are great, but be prepared to put in some work before you get there.

FaFaFa

From what you write to me, it seems that I would take less risk with the 4429s which have a darker sound... Have you ever compared them?
Have you ever compared them to the S3900 or Array 1400?

Digby

Major Contributor
I sold mine recently, got tired of the constant listening fatigue with less than stellar recordings. Some of issues was my room but the 4349 are elevated in the top end and the midrange a little recessed so they will always sound a bit lean. With the low JS-120 stands the bass is muddy, and with the raised BS-360 stands they will need a sub which actually sounds very nice.
With the right setup these speakers are great, but be prepared to put in some work before you get there.
What did you replace them with?

DK11706

From what you write to me, it seems that I would take less risk with the 4429s which have a darker sound... Have you ever compared them?
Have you ever compared them to the S3900 or Array 1400?
It’s been a while since I owned a pair of 4429, but I would say that the sound signature is more or less the same in the high frequency compared to 4349, over-all sound the 4349 is the darker than 4429, due to more low level output and recesses midrange.

I compared the 4429 to the Array 1000, same signature sound, but far more low level output on the Array 1000.

JBL horn are great, if not the greatest horn speakers available but if you want something ear-friendly with todays standard pop/rock CD mastering/releases you should look somewhere else.

DK11706

What did you replace them with?
Dynaudio Focus Active speakers, I’m still in the process of getting used to the sound, they are very different from the JBL .

On the negative side they are not as airy as the JBLs, but the positive is that I can now listen to all my CD’s without fatigue and I have that “turn the volume up” itch all the time.

Top Bottom