• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New JBL 4349 Speakers

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Imho , no human being can supress thier biases (if aware of them or not) , otherwise they would not bee biases :) ok .

On topic JBL does not provide measurments on thier site or in their manual and data is somewhatt lacking (to be nice), they sure must have spinorama etc , I'm trying to find out the actual bass performance for example port tuning , good to know when pairing with subs

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My connections so far have not been worth anything at Harman. :( If they are available to our company (i.e. it is part of JBL Synthesis line), then I can at least get them at a discount. Hopefully someone would want to buy them though instead of me spending thousands just to have a test sample.
You really need a marketing team. There should be a “Sales” page on this sight and after you test a product a big, and I mean big, gold lettered sticker (because stickers are all the rage), should be slapped on it with the words “Not Used, Verified by ASR”, then add 15% to the MSRP.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Things haven't changed much at Harman/JBL.
Their products range are beyond bewildering. In their line up there are some serious gems that are badged/confused with duds. Take their HDI series how many people know about these or the Studio Line? And the LSR line? Most people equate the LSR with the LSR 305 and 308, when in fact there are a lot more speakers in it, some of serious pedigree and measured excellence like the now discontinued JBL Pro LSR6332, meanwhile the Synthesis line still survive, unknown to even hardcore enthusiasts, and even more so to procure... The LSR "7" Series seems to be plagued by serious productions and reliability issues ... I defy anyone to find a 4367, even if their lives would depend on it .. Who sell them? Where?
And now these mightily interesting speakers? They fall under what line? They will be sold by whom?
At times , I am puzzled by the inefficient marketing of some large corporations, of which Harman could be the poster child. Harman marketing is a mess and they don't seem to care... Not holding my breath on this speaker. A Reve,l if I have to, not anything badged JBL at that kind of price.

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
You really need a marketing team. There should be a “Sales” page on this sight and after you test a product a big, and I mean big, gold lettered sticker (because stickers are all the rage), should be slapped on it with the words “Not Used, Verified by ASR”, then add 15% to the MSRP.

Autograph them.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Things haven't changed much at Harman/JBL.
Their products range are beyond bewildering. In their line up there are some serious gems that are badged/confused with duds. Take their HDI series how many people know about these or the Studio Line? And the LSR line? Most people equate the LSR with the LSR 305 and 308, when in fact there are a lot more speakers in it, some of serious pedigree and measured excellence like the now discontinued JBL Pro LSR6332, meanwhile the Synthesis line still survive, unknown to even hardcore enthusiasts, and even more so to procure... The LSR "7" Series seems to be plagued by serious productions and reliability issues ... I defy anyone to find a 4367, even if their lives would depend on it .. Who sell them? Where?
And now these mightily interesting speakers? They fall under what line? They will be sold by whom?
At times , I am puzzled by the inefficient marketing of some large corporations, of which Harman could be the poster child. Harman marketing is a mess and they don't seem to care... Not holding my breath on this speaker. A Reve,l if I have to, not anything badged JBL at that kind of price.
Music direct does carry the 4367.
https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers/JBL-4367-Tower-Speakers

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Imho , no human being can supress thier biases (if aware of them or not) , otherwise they would not bee biases :) ok .
That is fine but you can't project biases onto people and assume they have it and can't get over it. I like black speakers but if I gave a bad rating to one, would you accuse me of not liking black speakers and that is the reason I gave it a poor rating?

The guy tasting ice cream at the end of the line at an ice cream factory has no bias with respect to getting "free ice cream." He can say ice cream is no good that day without having the same bias an individual would have with respect to free ice cream.

So please don't assign biases to me as you would to yourself or someone else. We are not situated the same way. I can't carry the burden of all of you.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
That is fine but you can't project biases onto people and assume they have it and can't get over it. I like black speakers but if I gave a bad rating to one, would you accuse me of not liking black speakers and that is the reason I gave it a poor rating?

The guy tasting ice cream at the end of the line at an ice cream factory has no bias with respect to getting "free ice cream." He can say ice cream is no good that day without having the same bias an individual would have with respect to free ice cream.

So please don't assign biases to me as you would to yourself or someone else. We are not situated the same way. I can't carry the burden of all of you.

I don't think anyone is accusing you of some trait that isn't shared by all humans.

Double-blind testing exists for a reason.

You know the science on this.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd like to see @amirm test those fancy Gaia footers....did you dbt those Gaia thingies?
I don't think anyone is accusing you of some trait that isn't shared by all humans.

You know the science on this.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I'm trying to find out the actual bass performance for example port tuning , good to know when pairing with subs

I think you could make a pretty good guess based on the -6 dB point at 32 Hz.

I'd bet money it's going to be within the 30 - 60 Hz octave.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I'd like to see @amirm test those fancy Gaia footers....did you dbt those Gaia thingies?

I didn't DBT the Gaias, nope.

But I didn't buy them for sonic reasons.

I bought them because I have a tile floor that can get scratched by spikes and be a bit wobbly if the speakers are sitting on a caulking seam.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
All humans are not dealers for Harman and have financial motives which is what you said you worried about.

And no, you can't mix me with the general population. I am not situated like you all. I am not protecting a purchase for example. I don't worry how much something costs. I get to play with a new speaker in my system every other day.

I am massively motivated by transparency and providing reliable data to audio scene. You all are not. One wrong move and years of work go out the window together with my reputation which is all I have left in retirement days. In other words, I can't afford to be biased like you all. And despite what you say, I absolutely can control my biases better than most people. It is part of my job, and training. It is
why many of you are here.

It is for a "reason." It is not randomly applied. It is not being used for example to differentiate between a bluetooth speaker and towers.

By your logic we should give a polygraph test to everyone to prove they did not rob a bank....

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't DBT the Gaias, nope.

But I didn't buy them for sonic reasons.

I bought them because I have a tile floor that can get scratched by spikes and be a bit wobbly if the speakers are sitting on a caulking seam.

Why not just use something more basic then like a basic rubber foot? Why would you use spikes on tile?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
All humans are not dealers for Harman and have financial motives which is what you said you worried about.

And no, you can't mix me with the general population. I am not situated like you all. I am not protecting a purchase for example. I don't worry how much something costs. I get to play with a new speaker in my system every other day.

I am massively motivated by transparency and providing reliable data to audio scene. You all are not. One wrong move and years of work go out the window together with my reputation which is all I have left in retirement days. In other words, I can't afford to be biased like you all. And despite what you say, I absolutely can control my biases better than most people. It is part of my job, and training. It is
why many of you are here.

It is for a "reason." It is not randomly applied. It is not being used for example to differentiate between a bluetooth speaker and towers.

By your logic we should give a polygraph test to everyone to prove they did not rob a bank....

No....

By my logic, judges would recuse themselves from cases in which they have some personal connection.

Which they do.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Technically, I agree with him. I don't think any human can 100% control their biases, so, assuming you are indeed human, then I don't see any problem with assuming you share that trait. That's what blind tests are good for, and I know you agree with this, as you've mentioned it many times and pointed out the flaws in other tests that don't use it.

For me, though, I assume it's there, but it's more a matter of how significant that bias is that counts. So yes, if you don't like black speakers, then you might rate those speakers ever so slightly worse than you would with a different color, but it's so insignificant that I don't care about that at all. Maybe it would start to show in a statistically significant way if you reviewed 42 million speakers, but who cares.

As for the Harman bias? Maybe there's a positive bias there? Maybe there's a negative bias there(due to recent interactions)? Either way, I currently don't see it as significant. Imo, it's probably less significant than what you ate for breakfast that morning, or how much sleep you got the night before. I've never really seen people asking those questions. Likewise, hormones present at the time of listening are more significant. If you review speaker A still hungover from the night before, and review speaker B after a great exercise, no doubt there will be a bias in favor of speaker B.

Top Bottom