• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New JBL 1 Series Monitors

Kyle / MrHeeHo

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/one-series

• Master and extension speaker sold as one set
  • Coaxial 4.5-inch (118 mm) contoured LF driver with integrated.75-inch (19 mm) soft-dome HF driver
  • Contoured low-frequency port
  • Integrated 60-watt Class D power amplifier; 30 watts distributed to each speaker
  • Acoustically optimized for desktop placement
  • Three sets of inputs allow connection with professional equipment, personal music players and consumer-level devices
  • Master monitor includes electronics for the extension monitor, minimizing wiring and clutter
  • Front-panel volume control
  • Front-panel headphone jack with speaker mute feature
  • Integrated power supply

JBL Pro announced these at CES2019 today, I find it interesting they're going with a coaxial design. I'm skeptical it can compete with the Kali Audio offerings though.

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I always wondered why more powered monitors weren't coaxial. I've always found them to do have an advantage to 2ways in terms of phase on a desk.

LightninBoy

I always wondered why more powered monitors weren't coaxial. I've always found them to do have an advantage to 2ways in terms of phase on a desk.

Agree. The claimed phase benefits of coaxial would have an advantage for near field listening. So I just discovered and ordered these, currently on sale for $99 at monoprice ...

6056501.jpg

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=115&cp_id=11504&cs_id=1150401&p_id=605650&seq=1&format=2

Reviews are mixed with some complaining about hiss. But for 99 bucks - I figured they are worth a try.

bigx5murf

Those look interesting, I use old Kef uni-q. They're cheap now because almost all of them have tweeters that need service and kef no longer carries replacements. They're easy to service though.

DuxServit

Forum Donor
There seems to be more powered/active speakers coming on to the market. For a while it was Audioengine that covered the low-end (less than $400).

Now there seems to be mid and high end products: KEF LS50 wireless ($2K), Elac Navis ARB-51 ($2K), all the way to the Kii Threes ($13K).

Took me a while to accept amps being bundled with (bolted to) speakers. Not sure if I like DACs being bolted on also.

Krusty09

Forum Donor
Hey.

Lot of pro company's have been using them for a awhile and I don't mean like in the studios I mean like installs in med to small venues. Martin audio L acoustics and more.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

My knowledge about loudspeakers is very limited. i do however understand that crossover design and implementation plays a very large role in dispersion, directivity and phase response (linearity or lack thereof). A physical configuration may have intrinsic advantages, the final results are influenced by execution. All that to say that coaxial designs do not automatically translates in great performance/soind.

all that IMO, IME, YMMV and all other caveats...

Biblob

Talking about the Kali's, have these been measured by someone and objectively been reviewed?
I'd love to know how they compare to the 305's. They don't seem to be selling in Europe.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Are these specific monitors tiltable? Had a quick look at the website and video but didn’t find any reference to tiltability.

What do we have books for?

;)

Serious: All speakers are tiltable, aren’t they? You have different products; foam, rubbers and even specialized stands.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What do we have books for?

;)

Serious: All speakers are tiltable, aren’t they? You have different products; foam, rubbers and even specialized stands.

Oh ok. I thought given these are specifically marketed to be placed directly on the desk and given they cost about as much as a typical pair of stands, the tilt might be inbuilt...

Top Bottom