• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New IOTAVX 17-Channel Home-Cinema AV Processor

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
While I agree with you, I would really like to see XLR outs... I would totally buy one.

I agree, XLR out would be nice. Denon could easily release an AVP based on their X-Series AVR's, the problem is that it would likely cannibalize sales of the X4700 and above. The only way for that not to happen would be for them to price it much higher than it's worth, which they won't, so here we are.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
No HDMI 2.1, so dead on arrival for me.

While I agree with you, I would really like to see XLR outs... I would totally buy one.

Why not just convert the rca outs to balanced? All you need is a multimeter and some resistors. You can even fit that into the connector of the cable.
If you want higher and differential output you can use a drv134 Board.

https://www.epanorama.net/blog/2010/02/23/unbalanced-to-impedance-balanced/

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/drv134.pdf?ts=1617309837679&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Technomania

Forum Donor

Update from another discussion thread

HDMI 2.1 chips and boards update:

1. First gen of chips
Panasonic Solutions offered two versions of silicon:
a) Denon/Marantz - one input 40 Gbps port - hardware change imminent due to a bug in the silicon
b) Yamaha lower models-multiple ports-performance unclear until new software; alleged 24 Gbps (8K60 B)

2. Second gen of chips
Analog Devices (attached) & others - Trinnov engineer: chips perform better; unclear how much better?
a) Onkyo/Pioneer/Integra - multiple 40 Gbps and 24 Gbps ports - Q3 2021
b) Steinway Lyngdorf - HDMI 2.1 board upgrade for owners Q3-Q4 2021 (Analog Devices 40 Gbps)
c) Trinnov AV processors - testing 40 Gbps; if happy, release in Q4 2021 or Q1 2022
d) Yamaha high tier models are delayed - swapped first gen for second gen of chips?

3. Third gen of chips - 48 Gbps - in design - due late 2022 or 2023?
a) Trinnov hopes to implement this, if not happy with 2nd gen chips (Cypress Tech. designs boards)
b) others?

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor

AVR does not need to support an always changing HDMI spec. They just have to process multi-channel audio, which HDMI 1.3 can perfectly support (LPCM 7.1).
Most high end TVs have a very good video scaling engine, no need to use one of the AVR.
In fact, video signal should not pass through the AVR in the first place, this would have simplified considerably the home theater space.

Nowadays, there are HDMI switcher and splitters which separate audio from video and send audio as HDMI 1.4 signal, hence most old AVRs can be used with 4K HDR. Those 4*1+1 splitters cost 50-100$, a lot cheaper to replace than replacing the AVR, when the HDMI 2.x.y.z will come.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I prefer connecting all HDMIs directly to the TV, and ARC the audio back to the AVR. Future proof too, with minimum latency.

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
I prefer connecting all HDMIs directly to the TV, and ARC the audio back to the AVR. Future proof too, with minimum latency.
Arc is so buggy, many incompatibilities, and you cannot get lossless audio with it.
I think arc was an error from the industry. They should have put an HDMI output from TVs, instead of making this broken standard in place.
Arc is one of the reason people have to change their AVRs, it is part of the always changing HDMI spec.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Arc is so buggy, many incompatibilities, and you cannot get lossless audio with it.
I think arc was an error from the industry. They should have put an HDMI output from TVs, instead of making this broken standard in place.
Arc is one of the reason people have to change their AVRs, it is part of the always changing HDMI spec.
Interesting. Could you please send a link to a good HDMI switch splitter?

This maybe?
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMgVupb

Problem is that the TV remote will not adjust volume as it does with ARC...

Last edited:

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
earc does support lossless (theoretically at least, whether particular devices work properly is another question)

eARC is again another protocol, you need a recent TV and a recent AVR to have it working. So again changing everything because of the always changing HDMI.

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
Interesting. Could you please send a link to a good HDMI switch splitter?

This maybe?
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMgVupb

Problem is that the TV remote will not adjust volume as it does with ARC...

This is a switch with 2 outputs which means both devices needs to support hdmi2.0b+hdcp2.2 to have 4k HDR with lossless audio.

This switch is doing an audio extraction to send just the audio to the second HDMI (with a black 1080p video signal to be compliant with HDMI) which is just an hdmi1.4+hdcp1.4, so any AVR will support it
This allows you to have a recent TV with 4k HDR hdmi2.0b+hdcp2.2 and the lossless audio going on an old AVR. Before this kind of audio extractor you had to either buy a new AVR or not having 4K her on your new TV.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLJ3cd3

How does the tv control the sound volume ? Is it arc or CEC ? I feel it is more about CEC.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

rccarguy

eARC is again another protocol, you need a recent TV and a recent AVR to have it working. So again changing everything because of the always changing HDMI.

The other issue is older spec HDMI has planned obselence, second hand value is zilch.

I bet a £10,000 av pre that is hdmi 1.4 or hdmi 2.0 has lost a considerable amount of value, the gap between 2.0 and 2.1 is mostly for 120hz and latest gen consoles. Still that's enough to put fair number of people off..more so with gap between 1.4 and 2.0 as doesn't support Hdr etc and earlier still that are 1080p only not 4k

Andysu

Major Contributor
I wonder how good the Dolby DSU is does it have same issues with dialog centre + signal leaking into all the channels like the Denon AVC-X8500H is still doing not a good thing from Dolby labs. Can it do traditional Dolby pro-logic and PLIIx? Otherwise a slim 2U frame would look neat rather than gigantic 5U frame that can hardly do DSU without messing up and having to resort to professional Dolby Stereo for vintage laserdisc playback. Then again I prefer my monolith Dolby CP200.
17 channels can that run front wide with back surrounds with the 6 overhead surrounds, unlike the lemon Denon AVC-X8500H that trades off the rear back surround if want use front wide which I find rather fishy.

- Edit -
Oh it does have PLIIx so I guess it can be switched to run Dolby pro-logic without the fake stereo added mono matrix surround.
spec.jpg

So it has x 17 channels of manual parametric EQ and just how many bands of PEQ per each channel? 31 bands would be nice or 40 I know how about 100 bands for the most challenging of speaker frequency correction. I'm glancing over at the lemon Denon and thinking, it has had it's time.

Oh I wonder how fast is the video mode switches and audio to be synced take as it takes almost 10 seconds with the lemon Denon, and I have seen snails moving a lot fast?er. Autumn, huh. Maybe enough time to flood them with emails demanding HDMI 2.1 or is a HDMI 2.1 board going to be made available?

Last edited:

Andysu

Major Contributor
Is this not the same AVP? Or am I having a lapse of memory loss of dementia?

nonametofame

The Tonewinner one looks similar but not the same. It sounds like the TW only supports a max of 9.3.4 and is maybe using the same same DSP solution. Doesn't TW OEM for Emotiva? Perhaps we'll see a lower cost Emotiva processor (UMC? rebadge) but with Dirac?

Technomania

Forum Donor
AVR does not need to support an always changing HDMI spec. They just have to process multi-channel audio, which HDMI 1.3 can perfectly support (LPCM 7.1).
A few points. You are right. However, it is AVR companies that have been trying to elbow their way into video chain in growing number of market segment. Most recently, and embarrassingly, they flirted with gaming/PC world community with a desperate attempt to sell one single buggy HDMI 2.1 port.

Most high end TVs have a very good video scaling engine, no need to use one of the AVR.
In fact, video signal should not pass through the AVR in the first place, this would have simplified considerably the home theater space.
Yes, in some cases. Again, it is AVR companies that claim that AVR is a home media hub, a central AV switch that manages home devices. If they want to do that, they must support cutting edge and diverse tech and interfaces, as verstatility is paramount when you claim to be a hub device. For example, there are more PC/laptops devices now than TVs in households, yet AVR companies completely ignore DisplayPort interface. You cannot be a hub device if you only offer HDMI ports. They really need to get a grip on changing reality of home entertainment devices.

Nowadays, there are HDMI switcher and splitters which separate audio from video and send audio as HDMI 1.4 signal, hence most old AVRs can be used with 4K HDR.
True, but then again, why would we need to buy yet another device to deal with signals? PC that has GPU and motherboard can offer two HDMI ports that do the job. One port takes video to TV or monitor and another one takes audio to AVR. Keep it simple, without adding more devices.

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
Yes, in some cases. Again, it is AVR companies that claim that AVR is a home media hub, a central AV switch that manages home devices. If they want to do that, they must support cutting edge and diverse tech and interfaces, as verstatility is paramount when you claim to be a hub device. For example, there are more PC/laptops devices now than TVs in households, yet AVR companies completely ignore DisplayPort interface. You cannot be a hub device if you only offer HDMI ports. They really need to get a grip on changing reality of home entertainment devices.

PC and laptops have less and less displayport and more and more either HDMI or just USB-C.
A displayport to HDMI adapter costs a few dozens of dollars, same for USB-C to HDMI, this is not a big issue.

True, but then again, why would we need to buy yet another device to deal with signals? PC that has GPU and motherboard can offer two HDMI ports that do the job. One port takes video to TV or monitor and another one takes audio to AVR. Keep it simple, without adding more devices.

This just protect you from having to trash your AVR in the bin when a new HDMI standard will come.
The world would had significantly less trash if instead of AVRs (ie managing audio+video), we just had multi-channels processor/amps, ie just managing audio, ie "AR".

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I asked @JohnYang1997 if Topping would be interested in an Audio Preamp Processor, just optical and HDMI in, RCAs and XLRs out, 7.1 in a Pre90 chassis. No answer so far. That would be ideal.

Top Bottom