• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New integrated from miniDSP: SHD Power

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Happy to see miniDSP working out the SHD series. I hated (my studio) when it arrived but its getting better. Slowly

noise

Is it possible to change the streaming program/OS for miniDSP streamers? I didn't see bluetooth as an included feature, which can come in handy. Other than that and the price which seems a little high, this solution looks interesting for what I have been looking for.

Last edited:

STUDIO51

Is it possible to change the streaming program/OS for miniDSP streamers? I didn't see bluetooth as an included feature, which can come in handy. Other than that and the price which seems a little high, this solution looks interesting for what I have been looking for.

It does not support Bluetooth, but it supports AirPlay and roon ready (unauthenticated) via Volumio.

starless

Just got they're newsletter and thought this thing was pretty cool. It was more exciting to see updates available for my SHD though. The functionality they have added with the last update was pretty neat, I can control volume in Roon and the screen changes with it. The ability to go into standby is a no brainer and should have been there from the beginning. They just added the ability to turn it on and off by remote, crazy idea right? But the dinky remote that comes with the unit has no on/off button.

For these premium products they need to release a premium remote with more functionality and nicer feel. I would also like to have a trigger output. It's a shame that this new SHD Power doesn't have analog inputs either.

I've upgraded my SHD to latest firmware but, when I select Device Volume in Roon the Roon volume slider says 'Volume Control is Fixed'.

The SHD is connected to Roon via LAN interface. Am I doing something wrong - or does volume control of SHD by Roon only work when SHD is connected by USB to Roon core?

STUDIO51

I've upgraded my SHD to latest firmware but, when I select Device Volume in Roon the Roon volume slider says 'Volume Control is Fixed'.

The SHD is connected to Roon via LAN interface. Am I doing something wrong - or does volume control of SHD by Roon only work when SHD is connected by USB to Roon core?

스크린샷 2020-05-07 오후 5.48.47.png

Enable volume control in roon's audio settings. I have the same settings as you, but the volume control works fine.

starless

View attachment 62273

Enable volume control in roon's audio settings. I have the same settings as you, but the volume control works fine.

Interesting - your screen suggests that Roon has identified the SHD - top left doesn't say 'identify this device' - and the volume limits for me a shown as -40 to 0 and not 0 to 100.
Screenshot 2020-05-07 at 11.58.39.png

rvsixer

It has analog sub outs. I see the use case for AES as compatibility with their PWR-ICE amps, and many active monitors (eg JBL 7-Series, Neumann 310, Genelec).
Hmmm this gives me an idea for a nice SHD Power desktop system. Active monitors for the mains, and use the built in amps to drive my passive subs. Analog out for headphone amp. The routing options and config presets give these SHD boxes so much flexibility.

starless

View attachment 62296
Try disabling roon ready in Volumio and re-enabling it

Intruiguing. I can't find the 'Functionalities Control' section. I'm using the Roon Bridge Plugin - maybe that explains the difference. If SHD is 'Roon Ready' then that would explain why it was identified. Which version of Volumio are you using - mine says 1.052 ?

Screenshot 2020-05-07 at 12.54.56.png

STUDIO51

Intruiguing. I can't find the 'Functionalities Control' section. I'm using the Roon Bridge Plugin - maybe that explains the difference. If SHD is 'Roon Ready' then that would explain why it was identified. Which version of Volumio are you using - mine says 1.052 ?

Please disable the roon bridge plugin. Instead, turn on roon ready in the top right gear-> My Music-> Functionalities Control

OP
jhaider

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmm this gives me an idea for a nice SHD Power desktop system. Active monitors for the mains, and use the built in amps to drive my passive subs. Analog out for headphone amp. The routing options and config presets give these SHD boxes so much flexibility.

Not quite. It’s a 4-channel device, so the analog out will have processing for either monitors or subs baked in. For headphones you’d still need a separate system. Switch outputs using the drop down in macOS’s menu bar.

rvsixer

Not quite. It’s a 4-channel device, so the analog out will have processing for either monitors or subs baked in. For headphones you’d still need a separate system. Switch outputs using the drop down in macOS’s menu bar.
Don't have device in hand, but have been pre-purchase studying for about 3-4 months now (user manual, this forum, miniDSP support forum, etc.). This is my understanding of what can be done with SHD devices. Please cite specific references and or actual first hand experience if the following cannot work.

SHD Power desktop system physical configuration:
Active monitors - hooked up to AES digital outs
Passive subs - hooked up to amp outputs
Headphone amp - hooked up to unbalanced analog out

SHD config/preset #1 (listen to speakers):
R/L channels - routed to active monitors (2 channels, hi passed)
Subs - routed to internal amps (2 channels, low passed)
Dirac - active

SHD config/preset #2 (listen to headphones):
R/L channels - routed to analog outputs into headphone amp (2-channels, full range)
Subs - not routed to any output
Dirac - bypassed

No separate system needed. No computer needed. One press of remote button switches between speaker or headphone listening.

From user manual:

1588872375769.png

Last edited:
OP
jhaider

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't have device in hand, but have been pre-purchase studying for about 3-4 months now (user manual, this forum, miniDSP support forum, etc.). This is my understanding of what can be done with SHD devices. Please cite specific references and or actual first hand experience if the following cannot work.

SHD Power desktop system physical configuration:
Active monitors - hooked up to AES digital outs
Passive subs - hooked up to amp outputs
Headphone amp - hooked up to unbalanced analog out

SHD config/preset #1 (listen to speakers):
R/L channels - routed to active monitors (2 channels, hi passed)
Subs - routed to internal amps (2 channels, low passed)
Dirac - active

SHD config/preset #2 (listen to headphones):
R/L channels - routed to analog outputs (2-channels, full range)
Dirac - bypassed

Maybe. I don’t use presets on my SHD Studio and my headphone amp (HeadRoom Desktop Amp) connects to the computer separately over USB so no incentive to do so.

rvsixer

So unless I am misunderstanding, your own use case of not using presets, made my SHD Power desktop system using routing/presets initially impossible? This same flexibility pretty much absolves the headphone amp limitation mentioned in the first post, which I hinted at in the second post.

OP
jhaider

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So unless I am misunderstanding, your own use case of not using presets, made my SHD Power desktop system using routing/presets initially impossible?

You are misunderstanding. It just never occurred to me to use the presets like that. It might work, but I’m personally not inclined to verify on my Studio because routing cables is annoying.

rvsixer

You are misunderstanding. It just never occurred to me to use the presets like that. It might work, but I’m personally not inclined to verify on my Studio because routing cables is annoying.
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification.

I'm going to go with the routing/preset info in the manual and actual experience in the support forums, that the use case in post #1 (which matches my own) is indeed possible using four channels total (two more are not needed to attach a headphone amp, UNLESS you want to listen to both speakers and headphones full range AND simultaneously :D).

TimW

Major Contributor
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification.

I'm going to go with the routing/preset info in the manual and actual experience in the support forums, that the use case in post #1 (which matches my own) is indeed possible using four channels total (two more are not needed to attach a headphone amp, UNLESS you want to listen to both speakers and headphones full range AND simultaneously :D).
Your proposed set up for headphones will definitely work. Just keep in mind that the RCA outputs are channels 1 & 2. I'm not sure how the SHD Power works but with the SHD all channel 1 & 2 outputs are tied together, whether that is the digital, XLR, or RCA outputs. Hopefully the SHD Power allows you to disconnect or power off the amplification so that your subs don't play with your headphones.

rvsixer

Your proposed set up for headphones will definitely work. Just keep in mind that the RCA outputs are channels 1 & 2. I'm not sure how the SHD Power works but with the SHD all channel 1 & 2 outputs are tied together, whether that is the digital, XLR, or RCA outputs. Hopefully the SHD Power allows you to disconnect or power off the amplification so that your subs don't play with your headphones.
Hey thanks for the informative reply!

Yes from the manual, it appears ALL SHD device outputs are tied together (i.e. Output 1 is tied to all it's available Output 1 connectors simultaneously; whether digital, line level analog, amp level analog, etc. - same scheme for all other outputs).

In the case of listening to headphones, set its config/preset to simply not route audio to the subs, that way they can't make noise even though hooked up to amp (I know how this part works, having been a longtime miniDSP-in-a-box user).

I am going to hit up miniDSP support to confirm what's in the manual, before deciding what specific unit to buy for my use case(s).

PS I added "route subs to nowhere" in my proposed headphone config/preset message above.

Last edited:
Top Bottom