• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New integrated from miniDSP: SHD Power

hollis

Received my SHD Power and happy to report its sounding great with my 25 driver per side DIY Murphy Corner Line Array. The 25, 8ohm drivers are wired series-parallel to end up at.... 8ohms (funny how that goes). This speaker design is crossoverless, so there are as much as 20db boosts to the the extremes of the frequency range. We choose a Linkwitz Transform for the low end, two HF shelves for the high end, 4-6 parametric filters per side. This was all set via pink noise and watching a real time RTA. The last step was running Dirac 3.0 and letting it hammer things out to absolutely flat. Running Dirac without the parametric filters led to a measurably worse result. I think this box design requires changes more extreme that Dirac lets itself boost/cut.

When I transfered the same settings to my Minidsp 88D and powered the boxes up with a Outlaw 7140 I feel there is something missing. Powerwise we are looking at 120w vs 140w. The Outlaw does not measure well (thank you so much Armin for those measurements). I have a new 2ch Purifi based amp on order. Should be arriving this week. Then I will be able to compare 88D+Purifi vs SHD Power.

I imagine few people push the DSP as hard as I have on this project. So I wanted to report that you can go wild with no issues (though please watch out for digital clipping if you run a Linkwitz Transform, +20db at 20hz is no joke). I may add a Bessel highpass down low to protect things.
image (1).png

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-09-14 at 7.13.00 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-14 at 7.13.00 PM.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 109
Top Bottom