• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New integrated from miniDSP: SHD Power

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting all in one solution.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hate when rated wattage states 8 & 4 ohm, as obviously that isn’t true.

Still, >90dB SINAD @ 1kHz at 10W into 4ohm and >80dB for 120W is pretty good.

They also state:
• 86dB+ @100Hz at 1-100W
• 60dB+ @20Hz-20kHz at 0.06-100W into 8ohm
• 70dB+ @20Hz-20kHz at 0.06-100W into 4ohm

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now this is impressive. A perfect solution for a secondary (2 channel only) system with bass management and room correction.
Interesting that they took up a good portion of the back with AES/EBU ouputs rather than an analog input. What's the use case for this unit with AES/EBU digital outs?

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now this is impressive. A perfect solution for a secondary (2 channel only) system with bass management and room correction.
Interesting that they took up a good portion of the back with AES/EBU ouputs rather than an analog input. What's the use case for this unit with AES/EBU digital outs?
The manual just says to connect downstream digitial equipment. I guess you could hook up a second/third DAC+amp and use it as a secondary & third zones.

D

Deleted member 2944

If they had a version without DIRAC and without that high associated cost, it would be pretty neat.

Dave.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yeah i wonder if this unit is capable of running 6 channels dsp using the internal amp as channels 5&6? I.e. make an active 3 way speaker system

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Any idea what is this amp based on? ESS Sabre or AKM DAC? ICEpower or NCore amps?

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Icepower - guessing based on their established products with them already

TimW

Major Contributor
Just got they're newsletter and thought this thing was pretty cool. It was more exciting to see updates available for my SHD though. The functionality they have added with the last update was pretty neat, I can control volume in Roon and the screen changes with it. The ability to go into standby is a no brainer and should have been there from the beginning. They just added the ability to turn it on and off by remote, crazy idea right? But the dinky remote that comes with the unit has no on/off button.

For these premium products they need to release a premium remote with more functionality and nicer feel. I would also like to have a trigger output. It's a shame that this new SHD Power doesn't have analog inputs either.

dwkdnvr

I was a bit surprised by this, but I guess I shouldn't have been - it's a logical continuation of the SHD line. I think the price is edging up into being a bit pricey for a relatively unknown brand (or if they're known they're known as budget gear), but OTOH a $300 increment over the standard SHD for what looks like 2 channels of IcePower isn't unreasonable.

I"m also a bit surprised that they chose not just digital outputs over analog nputs, but AES/EBU over coax. Would be curious as to their thinking - particularly given the discussion in the other SHD thread about HT bypass being something of a gap. Omitting the analog inputs makes this a purely 2-channel solution, leaving any multi-channels guys out of the picture.

OP
jhaider

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was a bit surprised by this, but I guess I shouldn't have been - it's a logical continuation of the SHD line. I think the price is edging up into being a bit pricey for a relatively unknown brand (or if they're known they're known as budget gear), but OTOH a $300 increment over the standard SHD for what looks like 2 channels of IcePower isn't unreasonable.

Given the spec I don’t think it is Icepower. I could be wrong.

I agree that it is a logical extension of the line. My surprise there is they introduced a new form factor. I thought it would be the rack width chassis. The desktop friendly case makes the product better...but also makes me wish I hadn’t bought the SHD Studio...

I"m also a bit surprised that they chose not just digital outputs over analog nputs, but AES/EBU over coax. Would be curious as to their thinking - particularly given the discussion in the other SHD thread about HT bypass being something of a gap. Omitting the analog inputs makes this a purely 2-channel solution, leaving any multi-channels guys out of the picture.

It has analog sub outs. I see the use case for AES as compatibility with their PWR-ICE amps, and many active monitors (eg JBL 7-Series, Neumann 310, Genelec).

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Given the spec I don’t think it is Icepower. I could be wrong.

It has analog sub outs. I see the use case for AES as compatibility with their PWR-ICE amps, and many active monitors (eg JBL 7-Series, Neumann 310, Genelec).

But who would buy this to use with powered digital input monitors? There is the SHD studio for that.

OP
jhaider

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But who would buy this to use with powered digital input monitors? There is the SHD studio for that.

This one has a built in DAC for the subs, so it is more convenient for 2.1 than SHD Studio.

Top Bottom