• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Hypex Nilai500DIY modules )

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nilai amp has quite the internal light show too…

D3C60690-3F55-47FD-A34A-5360D02528E7.jpeg

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was originally planning a build thread, but the instructions for these Nilai products are really good. Much better than the ones available for the NC400. Not only is there a comprehensive manual but animated video too. My only gripe was the use of wave washers to fasten the end panels. Hypex tells me they are proven to help ensure the case parts are grounded properly but getting them in place for the back panel is tricky. If they are not properly retained, one or more could end up inside the amp and cause a potential short.

Hypex also has a young builder that has done build reviews and they are posted to diyclassd.com. While no measurements are shown, it does provide a potential buyer with a way to gauge the effort and difficulty level of the DIY task. :cool:

Finally, my only real complaint is the very small power switch on the front panel. I think it should be a nicer switch and an override provided for those who might power the amp via a smart power strip. If you have any other questions prior to Amir's review, just let me know!

p.s. should clarify that the build review for the mono amp and preamp were done by Audio Appraisals and the stereo amp is by Alpha Audio. All are useful, just not really needed given the well written instructions.

Last edited:

NikolasA

F1A6EEB0-8C03-4CDA-85C0-C56DAE13BB71.jpeg
Finally, my only real complaint is the very small power switch on the front panel. I think it should be a nicer switch and an override provided for those who might power the amp via a smart power strip. If you have any other questions prior to Amir's review, just let me know!
I will embarrassingly admit I overlooked the tiny power switch and initially thought I have a DOA unit. :) so I totally agree :) . I initially thought it is some kind of a reset if some protection gets tripped. I also thought the power wire “maybe” could have been better?!? But probably sufficient…

AngryZeus

Excited for reviews of this and have an order that’ll fulfill in March from deer creek audio

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

BeeKay

Sokel

Master Contributor
does not look like shielding to me, rather some filling strands... (non-conductive)
Looks like coconut fibers or something like that,I never saw such thin copper for shield.
(you can tell by looking the other end of the cable):

cable.PNG

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some cable manufacturers use cotton fibers between conductors for filling and less microphony presumably. Canare speaker cables for example.

images (11).jpeg

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
soundimports.eu has the 2 amp kits in stock now as well:

Wish Hypex would start diverting some of these modules and power supplies to individual sales as they said they would rather than putting them all into these kits...

soundtrane

Dealer
Looks like coconut fibers or something like that,I never saw such thin copper for shield.
(you can tell by looking the other end of the cable):
it is certainly not coconut, but some kind of plastic fibre filler...

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
does not look like shielding to me, rather some filling strands... (non-conductive)
Correct, it is insulation. There is no shield (or need for one).

Hypex has really paid attention to details on this kit. The end of this wire inside the binding post been terminated with ferrules.

p.s.

Thought that it might help to let ASR members know what they will encounter with the review posted below. I approached with low expectations based on their other posted reviews. The first 1.5 hours is a listening session and subjective review. So if that is not what you desire, skip ahead to the measurements and you will see objective results sprinkled with enough subjective superlatives that you do not need the first 1.5 hours unless you want. The results are predictable, but no spoilers from me! :)

Last edited:

maty

Major Contributor
YES!!! The first live stream of this year! And we are going to make another great one! This time: 3 x NEXT GEN class D. The latest Hypex Nilai, the latest generation Purifi Eigentakt and a nice ICEpower class D amplifier. These are three power amplifiers that you can also make your own. In short: these are not to be missed!

Class D has rapidly become very mature. Where UCD still had some frayed edges, nCore was already quite a bit nicer. And Purifi Eigentakt and now its competitor: Hypex Nilai? Well… we are going to put them side by side, along with a less used one: the Danish ICEpower. In short: this will be a particularly interesting livestream to determine the position of Class D for once.

January 29, 2023 – 10:30 CET – Live Stream Review – Three times Class D! Hypex, Purifi, ICEpower

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Sokel

Master Contributor
January 29, 2023 – 10:30 CET – Live Stream Review – Three times Class D! Hypex, Purifi, ICEpower

What next gen x3???
Purifi is older and Ice Power is the 2016 NON Edge model.
Pity,they seemed like nice guys with measurements and everything...

Dirk_67

What next gen x3???
Purifi is older and Ice Power is the 2016 NON Edge model.
Pity,they seemed like nice guys with measurements and everything...
what do you mean exactly ?
- the "nilai 500" is the latest from hypex
- the "EVAL3 1ET7040SA" is the latest from PURIFI
- the "700AS2" is out of the latest AS Series from Icepower

mocenigo

Major Contributor
what do you mean exactly ?
- the "nilai 500" is the latest from hypex
- the "EVAL3 1ET7040SA" is the latest from PURIFI
- the "700AS2" is out of the latest AS Series from Icepower

Is the 700as2 ICEEdge based? I cannot find information to that regard.

Top Bottom