• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Hypex Nilai500DIY modules )

beren777

Is a trigger or audio sense including? Any pop or click on power on/off? More pictures less hyperbole. I can make clicking noises and dogs will run in surprised to see what's happening.

El_Arte

Well you see that's the problem. That also means you will want to hear a difference where there is none, even though you won't admit it.

These tests must be set up in a manner that defeats expectations. It’s fairly easy.

If you want to compare 2 good things, throw in 1+ lesser things into the mix. Clearly announce: “There are n things in this test, 2 items of interest and m items that are known to be inferior.”

Bang, you have improved your blind test.

Dirk_67

My Hypex Nilai500DIY amplifier kit did in fact arrive yesterday as expected! I spent a couple hours in the afternoon building it, and then the entire evening listening obsessively in wonder.

It's packaged and set up beautifully, in order to get everything ready to .....
Ah very good, many thanks you for your well-made and well-founded report (and photos)

He's going to be working on a replacement faceplate in some kind of exotic wood. We're going over some designs. The stock faceplate is fine, but I don't love it.
same here,
I will make my own faceplate too, from a thick aluminum plate (custom milled)
(but first my kit has to arrive ...)

Last edited:

TNT

If you remove the metallic face plate you open up for EMI disturbances. Put a new face plat on top of the old one so that the electrical characteristics of the design is maintained.

//

beren777

How many kits shipped before they were out of stock again? Sadly their website says they're now out of stock until 2Q 2023.

nhs

The dimensions of Nilai500diy are 100x100x40 mm. But I can't figure out what size the PS500DIY has.
I would be very grateful if someone tells us the dimensions of the PS500DIY here.
Thx;⁠-⁠)

Habadudl

Hi nhs,

just found in the datasheet: 100*170*47mm are the dimensions of the PS500
regards
Dieter

Reactions: nhs

Extreme_Boky

My dog, normally totally indifferent to anything coming out of my speakers (except the sound of other dogs barking), kept getting startled! And not because or just when I had the music turned up nice and loud. It's cute, really. I'm sure he'll get used to what's different about what he's hearing soon.
If he is getting startled when there is no music playing (volume at zero).... he is hearing the high-frequency switching fundamentals, and the harmonics, coming straight from the actual modules.

Do a test.... place him close to the amplifier. While he is relaxed/half asleep, turn on the amplifier and see if he raises his head and ears.

Then, repeat with the amplifier' top cover removed.

piotrkundu

I am contemplating building two 3 channel nilai amps and wish they would open up the selling on Monday to include individual modules and power supplies instead of making me wait another few months...
I'm also thinking of a 3 channel amp. Let me know if you start building one.

If he is getting startled when there is no music playing (volume at zero)....
No, he got startled when stuff was playing. Music, movies, or TV through the amp, i.e. stuff he used to ignore. But, whatever was different, he's used to it again and back to ignoring audio. It was just funny that he was reacting differently the first day or or two I had the amp.

Extreme_Boky

There you go! Surely that's a "blind test" that produces a noticeable difference!

Last edited:
There you go! Surly that's a "blind test" that produces a noticeable difference!
I wouldn't draw any conclusions from it, but it was cute and kind of funny.

Anyway, still loving the amp. Anyone who says Class D amps will never sound good is definitively, completely full of crap. But we already knew that.

I am very pleased with this purchase.

Extreme_Boky

I wouldn't draw any conclusions from it, but it was cute and kind of funny.

Anyway, still loving the amp. Anyone who says Class D amps will never sound good is definitively, completely full of crap. But we already knew that.

I am very pleased with this purchase.

I suppose you draw that conclusion after careful comparison... with this:

1672217850398.png

Top Bottom