• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Hypex Nilai500DIY modules )

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Given that there is zero repairability, will there be an extended warranty plan, so that a sizeable investment will not poof itself after merely 3 or 12 month?
5 years would be acceptable. 10 would be fair.

mjgeorge

Hypex says this on their website (https://www.hypex.nl/faq/) about current modules:

3 Q: I have a module that broke down. Do I have warranty?​

A: You have a standard warranty of two years on a Hypex product (one year for OEM products). We consider ourselves to be very flexible when it comes to this subject. However, when we find extensive modifications made by yourself which prevents us from repairing the module or is even the cause of the failure itself, we may charge you for the repair or even decide not to repair the module at all.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Hypex says this on their website (https://www.hypex.nl/faq/) about current modules:

3 Q: I have a module that broke down. Do I have warranty?​

A: You have a standard warranty of two years on a Hypex product (one year for OEM products). We consider ourselves to be very flexible when it comes to this subject. However, when we find extensive modifications made by yourself which prevents us from repairing the module or is even the cause of the failure itself, we may charge you for the repair or even decide not to repair the module at all.

This is of course fair. If you modify their stuff, everything falls on you.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is of course fair. If you modify their stuff, everything falls on you.
But two years is not long for something you can't get repaired elsewhere.

MCH

Major Contributor
But two years is not long for something you can't get repaired elsewhere.
Two years warranty is the minimum and most standard in EU, i would say. I don't see implicit that after 2 years they won't repair it, if that's what you mean. I guess they would, but not for free.
Think minidsp direct: one year and you pay shipping to asia...

TheGhostOfEugeneDebs

Forum Donor
That is correct. Although it is not our intention to actively join discussions on these threads. But we can inform you all easily when we have more information to share.

So lets start with giving you some info you are asking for. First of all the voltage rails are +/- 70V dc

We will offer these modules for the following retail prices, all Ex VAT:

Nilai500DIY: € 350,-
PS500DIY: € 250,-
Nilai500 mono kit: € 820,-
Nilai500 stereo kit: € 1225,-

DIY PreAmplifier kit: € 1225,-

I love my NC400 monos and am super excited to try out something new! Was looking at getting a set of NC1200 monos from Nord or Apollon, but I'd much rather do another DIY kit. When can I start refreshing the diyclassd.com products page and/or is there a way to get on a pre-order list or something?

Hypexsales

Audio Company
@Hypexsales kudos!
I really like the variable gain settings with jumpers!

What are the idle losses of the PS500DIY in operation and standby? Is it a class 2 design like the SMPS600?
Does the Nilai500DIY require a specific Vdr voltage to achieve its theoritical idle losses, like the nc400 did?
more data on the Nilai500DIY and the PS500DIY will be released in a few weeks. this is not known yet.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And the pre-amp will have add-ons, cool.

preamp.jpg

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Hypexsales please coordinate with @amirm to lend a review sample of both the Nilai stereo kit and a fully loaded preamp. Would be awesome.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm hype(x)d by that preamp. Currently using a DLCP that I'm not that impressed with from a SINAD or stability viewpoint but very happy from a sound quality perspective, so am eager to learn more about this product.

How many channels, dsp capabilities and residual noise would be my main questions.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Boxem, Audiophonics, Buckeye, Apollon and so on making preamps... Now we just need DTX and Dolby to stop being assholes so these smaller manufacturers can jump to making AVR's...

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow! That's the best you've got? Hilarious. :facepalm:

How about addressing the specifics?

The specifics are that you - and everyone else - know full well that the "10x" means the distortion performance. You also know full well that companies issue press releases, and that press releases tout the products in the most flattering way possible, highlighting the standout areas. That's the entire point of a press release that advertises a new product.

In this case, your usual criticism is even less justified than usual, because Hypex are not lying or deceiving about anything. The fact that the new amp is not 10x better than the old one by every conceivable metric does not make the claim deceptive. In particular, your references to 10x warranty and 10x the power are themselves hilarious, because no reasonable person - including you, if you're willing to be honest - would ever expect a company to offer 10x its previous warranty term or 10x the amp wattage as a prior model in order to be able to claim a new amp is 10x better.

So you are mocking Hypex for exaggerating their claim in a misleading way, but you are doing so by holding them to a standard which is itself exaggerated and highly misleading.

And let's also acknowledge that if their press release had said "10x lower distortion" instead of just "10x better," you still almost certainly would have lodged essentially the same complaint, saying something to the effect of, "a lower distortion spec the way they report it is meaningless - what about noise? What about distortion above 5kHz in real-world conditions," etc - your usual drumbeat.

So in this case I'll take Hypex over you when it comes to who is being more or less disingenuous.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From the website:

"Nilai® Class D technology is here!
We have taken our existing control-loop topology to a whole new level resulting in an immense performance upgrade compared to NCORE®. The overall performance has increased by not less than 10 times!

This massive performance boost results in distortion figures that are 10 times lower, a power supply noise rejection that is 10 times higher and a reduced output impedance that has dropped by a factor 10. These figures may already sound incredible, wait until you hear them come alive through your speakers!"

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does anyone know if those class D modules can cope with 96ohm load? I have an unusual requirement...

EdW

An audio amplifier should be stable and work well with all loads from an open circuit down to its rated minimum load impedance.

Slight caveat: a purely reactive load, capacitive or inductive, may produce an impedance outside the audio band which would upset the performance of the amplifier. A large pure capacitive load could provoke high frequency instability and a pure inductance would look like a short circuit at dc. But I suspect that these are not the conditions that you are envisaging.

TheGhostOfEugeneDebs

Forum Donor
Does anyone know if those class D modules can cope with 96ohm load? I have an unusual requirement...

Yes, I've used my NC400 monos with an iESL set to 96.

Ra1zel

TheGhostOfEugeneDebs

Forum Donor
Cool! How was the sound quality and power?
Unbelievable. It's a perfect combo. I've also used an Emotiva A100, a Marantz PM-something and a Schiit Ragnarok 2. Nothing is like the Hypex stuff, it's like the audio version of an OLED TV. Just sound from the void. I want to get these new Hypex DIY amps basically just so I can use the NC400 amps for headphones exclusively.

Ra1zel

So it would seem Nilai is new #1 class D module

Top Bottom