• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Hypex Nilai500DIY modules )

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So it would seem Nilai is new #1 class D module

Would be nice to see some actual user reviews as all we have at present is the marketing copy of the manufacturer.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
So it would seem Nilai is new #1 class D module

The noise and distortion of the Purifi 1ET9040BA should be even lower.

Still, it’ll probably be more expensive. It is nice to have choices

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The noise and distortion of the Purifi 1ET9040BA should be even lower.

Still, it’ll probably be more expensive. It is nice to have choices
In 4 ohms the Nilai500 is below the 1ET7040SA all the way, and only loses at the knee of 1ET400A but has more power. So yes I would say Nilai500 is very competitive, tied if not better than the Purifi offerings.

Last edited:

mocenigo

Major Contributor
In 4 ohms the Nilai500 is below the 1ET7040SA all the way, and only loses at the knee of 1ET400A but has more power. So yes I would say Nilai500 is very competitive, tied if not better than the Purifi offerings.

I said 1ET9040BA, not 1ET7040SA.

goryu

There is nothing publicly available. People (like me) meeting the Purifi team at the Munich high end were told that the noise would be 8uV.

I see. Without anything published it is hard to make any meaningful comparisons to the Hypex Nilai500...Doesn't seem like Purifi has a dedicated ps either, while Hypex has something for the Nilai500 that looks quite nice....Guess we will have to wait.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I assumed it was a typo, but OK, let's wait and see when measurements for the 1ET9040BA become available.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
I see. Without anything published it is hard to make any meaningful comparisons to the Hypex Nilai500...Doesn't seem like Purifi has a dedicated ps either, while Hypex has something for the Nilai500 that looks quite nice....Guess we will have to wait.

Well, they are a small company with a small R&D department, but they have ppl like Putzeys, Risbø and Madsen.

Hypex is larger and have had a longer time to develop a complete line of products. But without Putzeys they have lost the real engine of their development.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hypex is larger and have had a longer time to develop a complete line of products. But without Putzeys they have lost the real engine of their development.
I thought so as well but the NCoreX and Nilai really surprised me, in a positive way. Looks like Bruno left good lessons behind, and extra welcome news after their founder passed away as well. Great to see that the team is still carrying the torch without letting it fall.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From the AudioXpress link:

"As Hypex makes it clear (see interview) this is not the company's latest NCOREx technology which was announced last month. In fact, Nilai is a completely new amplifier technology. And as such, it is 10 times better than the original Ncore!

"We are extremely excited to announce this completely new Nilai Class D technology and a completely new amplifier module, the Nilai500DIY, for the DIY community. We have taken our exciting control-loop topology to a whole new level resulting in an immense performance upgrade compared to Ncore. The overall performance has increased by not less than 10 times!", says Hypex."

And silly old AudioXpress jumps on the company-driven hype bandwagon! Giddy up, you absolute clowns!

10 times better. Wow. Amazing. Let's see, shall we?

10 times better output power? Nope. Not remotely close.
10 times better signal to noise? Nope.
10 time less residual noise? Sorry.
10 times the frequency response/bandwidth? Not even near that.
10 times the warranty? No. What warranty? Do you even get a warranty?

10 times the hype and drivel? Yes! absolutely!

...the Dutch company says, is a completely new unique amplifier module that sets a new benchmark for high-end audio applications.

Benchmark for what? Self promotion? :facepalm:

I'll let you decide that...
Aw, I was enjoying being swept up in the hype until I read this post :)

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Beyond improving SINAD, which at this point it is a matter of engineering excellence and pride, what else can be improved for the end user? I guess that at this point, the advantages can be boil down to size, power consumption at idle (reduced) and a bit extra efficiency on an already efficient system. Not that I´m complaining, I´m just wondering.

Does newer designs like this actually help on crosstalk separation or is that up to the quality of the final assembly in stereo (or more channel) implementations?

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Beyond improving SINAD, which at this point it is a matter of engineering excellence and pride, what else can be improved for the end user? I guess that at this point, the advantages can be boil down to size, power consumption at idle (reduced) and a bit extra efficiency on an already efficient system. Not that I´m complaining, I´m just wondering.

Does newer designs like this actually help on crosstalk separation or is that up to the quality of the final assembly in stereo (or more channel) implementations?

Crosstalk? They are mono modules.
If you want to kill crosstalk completely just make monoblocks.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Crosstalk? They are mono modules.
If you want to kill crosstalk completely just make monoblocks.
Then that depends on the quality of the implementation on a multichannel amp, not the amp module itself. Thanks for the answer! :)

Speaking of crosstalk, does it also occur on self-powered speakers with multiple amps (one per speaker driver, that is)?

Ra1zel

Crosstalk is a solved problem even in 1980

Ra1zel

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Depends. In real world use? I'm gonna risk it and say yes.
There were almost no switching amps in the 80's ;). And they had much more important problems to solve than the crosstalk.
Use a power supply that is both regulated and based on a synchro rectifier.
Problem is not the power supply, it is the switching noise of the amplifier from one channel contaminating the other(s) channels. It is solved problem today for most amplifiers but it took some time.

Ra1zel

There were almost no switching amps in the 80's ;). And they had much more important problems to solve than the crosstalk.
Screenshot_20220605-234851_Chrome.jpg

Top Bottom