• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Hypex Nilai500DIY modules )

Jason Shep

Hi all, could anyone confirm which new Hypex module will technically, be the highest performing, the Nilai500 or the NcoreX?

I understand the Nilai will be DIY assembly & NcoreX will be OEM but I can’t get my head around why Hypex would want the extra manufacturing expense of two different but similarly performing modules?

Maybe @Hypexsales could put me out of my misery? ;):p

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My thoughts exactly. We get it, one is OEM and the other DIY, the specs are there too. But what is the difference in technical details between NCore X and Nilai, like feedback loop, regulators, buffer, and other design aspects??

Hypexsales

Audio Company
Hi all, could anyone confirm which new Hypex module will technically, be the highest performing, the Nilai500 or the NcoreX?

I understand the Nilai will be DIY assembly & NcoreX will be OEM but I can’t get my head around why Hypex would want the extra manufacturing expense of two different but similarly performing modules?

Maybe @Hypexsales could put me out of my misery? ;):p
Hi Jason, I can indeed help you out here. NCOREx and Nilai are two different techniques. NCx will first be used for OEM modules and Nilai at first for DIY. Nilai is the new benchmark for us and will eventually also be used for OEM customers. NCx will eventualy also be available in our FusionAmp plate amplifiers for example.

Jason Shep

Hi Jason, I can indeed help you out here. NCOREx and Nilai are two different techniques. NCx will first be used for OEM modules and Nilai at first for DIY. Nilai is the new benchmark for us and will eventually also be used for OEM customers. NCx will eventualy also be available in our FusionAmp plate amplifiers for example.
Thank you very much, it is much appreciated & so refreshing to have a manufacturer interact with end users like this.
I’ll definitely be investing in a Hypex amp when my current amp needs replacing :)

Hypexsales

Audio Company
My thoughts exactly. We get it, one is OEM and the other DIY, the specs are there too. But what is the difference in technical details between NCore X and Nilai, like feedback loop, regulators, buffer, and other design aspects??
in basics the differences between NCOREx and Nilai is in the feedback loop indeed. the differences between the NCx500 OEM and Nilai500DIY are bigger on other fronts. like the buffer stage and regulators. on the Nilai500 DIY we designed completely discrete regulators and bufferstage and chosen other high grade components as well to optimize performace. on the NCx500 OEM we still need to make sure we can offer an affordable module for our OEM customers and therefor need to comprimize on those parts. Still we have chosen high grade components but by using more standard components instead of discrete designs.

MCH

Major Contributor
If I was in the market for an amp in March 2023 I would seriously consider the stereo kit at ca 1400eur in my country. The only minor detail I don't like is to have to open the box to change the gain... on each plate... A simple switch would be appreciated.

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As we are indeed sold out for the first batch, the new delivery date for new orders is estimated on end of March 2023. that is of course not the case for the first batch. We did however have not send any kits out just yet. A few delays with the last components for the kits. Will not take long anymore. We will update our customers who placed an order with the new delivery date this week.

Will the offering of individual modules and power supplies be delayed from early 2023 as well?

Hypexsales

Audio Company
Will the offering of individual modules and power supplies be delayed from early 2023 as well?
Not sure yet. At least the current delay on kits does not influence the delivery of seperate modules.

changer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The current DSP we offer is not compatible for the new Nilai products.
When you introduce a new DSP module, please include FIR filters and make it downward compatible. My Fusion amps and speakers are waiting to get FIR crossovers.

Hypexsales

Audio Company
When you introduce a new DSP module, please include FIR filters and make it downward compatible. My Fusion amps and speakers are waiting to get FIR crossovers.
I don't think this is the right thread for this topic. there is a dedicated FusionApm thread. please place any questions on that topic there. thanks.

D

Deleted member 48726

Given that there is zero repairability, will there be an extended warranty plan, so that a sizeable investment will not poof itself after merely 3 or 12 month?
5 years would be acceptable. 10 would be fair.
5 years acceptable, really? No way. I would be furious spending 1200 dollars and having it burn out in five years! Is the bar really that low?

Dirk_67

Given that there is zero repairability, will there be an extended warranty plan, so that a sizeable investment will not poof itself after merely 3 or 12 month?
5 years would be acceptable. 10 would be fair.
I think the same about some (kind of) warranty plans ...
(or maybe a repair offer from Hypex itself ?)

"zero repairability" -> how do you mean ? -> only because of the lack of proper documentation for 3rd party (repair-) companies ?
or because it's all SMD hardware ?
(the latter is not the problem IMHO)

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
5 years acceptable, really? No way. I would be furious spending 1200 dollars and having it burn out in five years! Is the bar really that low?

So what amp or amps are you buying at close to $1200 that have a better warranty?

Also, on repairability, what other amp option is going to allow you to swap a power supply or amp module as readily? While I get the question may be around fixing parts on the module itself, have not had any issue with Hypex sharing partial schematics to assist with repair. I think the better question here is around what it might cost to repair (if a module swap is the main option). Having worked in electronics manufacturing though, if someone is fixing my electronics, want to know they can do SMT repairs well!

P.S. For sake of full disclosure, am authorized Hypex OEM. I (currently) do not sell DIYClassD product.

Last edited:

GPx86

The out of touch demands of some folks on this forum are pretty unbelievable. Demands for constant cost reduction or impossibly low price points, infallible reliability, all of the features and functions without error, support for DIY repairs, and on top of it decades long warranty coverage from a manufacturer.

Please manage your expectations with a review of what it takes to be a modern manufacturing company, folks.

D

Deleted member 48726

So what amp or amps are you buying at close to $1200 that has a better warranty?

Also, on repairability, what other amp option is going to allow you to swap a power supply or amp module as readily? While I get the question may be around fixing parts on the module itself, have not had any issue with Hypex sharing partial schematics to assist with repair. I think the better question here is around what it might cost to repair (if a module swap is the main option). Having worked in electronics manufacturing though, if someone is fixing my electronics, want to know they can do SMT repairs well!

P.S. For sake of full disclosure, am authorized Hypex OEM. I (currently) do not sell DIYClassD product.
I wasn't even mentioning warranty but in general, spending that kind of money on an amplifier, five years of life is absolutely unacceptable. -For me.

Even if the manufacturer ab standard only offers two years of limited warranty I would still consider it a shit product if it lasts three. Especially when speaking of amplifiers, tv's, and general home appliances of mid or higher price brackets.

D

Deleted member 48726

The out of touch demands of some folks on this forum are pretty unbelievable. Demands for constant cost reduction or impossibly low price points, infallible reliability, all of the features and functions without error, support for DIY repairs, and on top of it decades long warranty coverage from a manufacturer.

Please manage your expectations with a review of what it takes to be a modern manufacturing company, folks.
Please remind yourself of the price on the products in question. It is not a budget low tier product. I don't demand warranty periods of a decade. But I expect the life of the product (I.E. an amplifier costing 1200 USD) to be.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wasn't even mentioning warranty but in general, spending that kind of money on an amplifier, five years of life is absolutely unacceptable. -For me

Even if the manufacturer ab standard only offers two years of limited warranty I would still consider it a shit product if it lasts three. Especially when speaking of amplifiers, tv's, and general home appliances of mid or higher price brackets.

Pretty sure nobody wants less reliable products, but thanks for clarifying your position.

Along with the original quote you referenced, the implication is that a longer warranty implies longer longevity. If that were accurate, the Nilai warranty is more than 2 times longer than most comparably priced products. Just made me wonder if you had found something with better warranty or had some proof that Hypex DIY products had short longevity? Their main offering to date has been the NC400 and most owners (am not one) seem very pleased.

ManFromKerala

All great, but.....
12 of all 12 UCD modules gave done down for me over the last 4 years - (on different chassis, different smps-es)...
I was a Hypex fan boy once upon a time..

I now realise that reliability matters most, not fancy numbers that you probably cant anyway hear.
Apologies for negativity, but I am certainly cross at Hypex.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All great, but.....
12 of all 12 UCD modules gave done down for me over the last 4 years - (on different chassis, different smps-es)...
I was a Hypex fan boy once upon a time..

I now realise that reliability matters most, not fancy numbers that you probably cant anyway hear.
Apologies for negativity, but I am certainly cross at Hypex.

Have not used or sold UcD, but can empathize with being cross about the situation.

How did Hypex respond to the failures?

ManFromKerala

"We don't know what is going wrong. Perhaps because you live in a humid climate?".

I am at Trivandrum, India. Humidity => 78%

Hypex could not test these because it is too expensive to ship them back!

If humidity is the problem, the Mac Air that I am using to write this message should have died long ago :).

Top Bottom