• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Hypex Nilai500DIY modules )

KaMatthi

I had already a chat with Dylan asking him to send to Germany. Because, I think his products are price performance winner compared to products in Europe (I couldn't find any comparable product considering the price and build quality)...

welwynnick

Forum Donor
Morning All, does anyone know if the Nilai 500 modules have to be used with the PS500DIY power supply?
The power supply specs for the amp are a bit different to other modules. It looks to me that the SMPS1200A400 for example, wouldn't be suitable.
Is anyone aware of a Nilai amp that doesn't use the PS500DIY?
Thanks,
Nick

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A high performance power supply designed specifically for the Nilai500, why wouldn't you use it?

welwynnick

Forum Donor
My bad, the SMPS1200A400 should be OK, it just outputs 63V instead of 70/72V.

It occurred to me that many combinations of amp and power supply have been implemented, each one with different performance.
Shared PSUs in stereo amps tend to give poorer results with low impedance loads, and bigger or "dual mono" supplies tend to be better.
Amps usually have a range of allowable input voltages, and the commonly available SMPS isn't always optimum.
Sometimes a PSU upgrade can increase the output voltage as well as the output power.
For example, an NC500 or NCx500 running on an SMPS400A400 (63V) could be usefully upgraded to an SMPS1200A700 (85V) (heatsink permitting).
However you can't do the same with a Nilai500 (or Purifi 1ET400) because the max voltage is 72V, and the PSU choice is limited to the PS500DIY or possibly SMPS800RS or CONNEX SMPS2000RxE, but I'm not sure if they have the right Aux voltage.
So in practice it seems to be the PS500DIY or the PS500DIY, which is quite expensive for the power.
I was just wondering if Nilai had ever been used with anything else?

welwynnick

Forum Donor
Yes, I understand dB and PFC, which was important to me a few years ago because of real legislative requirements. The context of that was a 10MW electric motor, and a bad inverter would have distorted the mains supply to a whole town, but I'm not sure why it's important to domestic equipment.

I'm quite happy that the Nilai500 and PS500DIY are a match made in heaven. I was just wondering if it was an exclusive match in practice?

I was also wondering whether the PS500DIY had been paired with the Purifi 1ET400, which is almost invariably paired with 63/64V PSUs instead?

Last edited:
Top Bottom