• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New HP Amp for LCD-2

cany89

Hi everyone!

I got RME ADI-2 and Audeze LCD-2 - some of you might remember bc you help me choose those, thanks a lot!

I'm not a techy guy and read some comments about how current is also important besides watts when driving planar headphones. And even on high setting in ADI-2, I feel like the sound is a bit constrained. So I decided to try an amp. I found 2, but not sure which one to choose. Any feedback is gold, as I don't have a chance to demo.

1: Singxer SA-1

2: Monolith Liquid Platinum

I got stock single-ended cable on LCD. I guess I'll need XLR to get the most out of these amps otherwise the sound might not be better than what I get from ADI-2?

Thanks in advance :)

OP
cany89

cany89

I’ll add Burson Soloist 3X to my list. It’s expensive but if anyone says it’s worth the wait, I can stick with ADI-2 until I can get Burson.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you maxing the volume on the RME? Or just in the "high output" zone ? If the former, then yes you may need a more powerful amp but I fear for your hearing. If the latter, just turn it up more towards 0.

OP
cany89

cany89

Are you maxing the volume on the RME? Or just in the "high output" zone ? If the former, then yes you may need a more powerful amp but I fear for your hearing. If the latter, just turn it up more towards 0.

I switched hi-power on from the settings. It's sure better than low gain with LCD-2. (When the auto-level is on, amp switch to high gain after a certain volume level. The sound is not good on low volumes in that mode. It's much better when you disable the auto level and enable hi-power)

I'm really sure if I can get better sound with a balanced cable and a separate amp. That's why I'm asking tbh.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I switched hi-power on from the settings. It's sure better than low gain with LCD-2. (When the auto-level is on, amp switch to high gain after a certain volume level. The sound is not good on low volumes in that mode. It's much better when you disable the auto level and enable hi-power)

I'm really sure if I can get better sound with a balanced cable and a separate amp. That's why I'm asking tbh.

You didnt answer my question. Have you maxed out the volume control on the RME? What volume level do you take it up to?

You wont get better sound from running the LCD balanced unless you are maxing out the RME - its clean power all the way up. Balanced headphone outputs bring only one benefit in well behaving amps , the ability to output more voltage. If you are not maxing the RME, you dont need it.

OP
cany89

cany89

You didnt answer my question. Have you maxed out the volume control on the RME? What volume level do you take it up to?it.

No, it's far from maxed out actually. About -30 dB on Hi-power. And I got -8 dB on my eq pre-amp as well. Volume is definitely not the issue but I feel like there is way too much distortion on some songs than I remember / used to hear.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No, it's far from maxed out actually. About -30 dB on Hi-power. And I got -8 dB on my eq pre-amp as well. Volume is definitely not the issue but I feel like there is way too much distortion on some songs than I remember / used to hear.

Unless your RME is broken then its not that- something else in your chain more likely. Which means a balanced amp wont solve your problem. Now, how to go about ruling out the RME or finding the root cause- dont know , would need to know more about your set up and EQ etc etc

OP
cany89

cany89

@Jimbob54
- I got another dac/amp - a Piooner U-05. Its single-ended amp is nowhere near RME. But I can listen to the same songs with it.
- I can also disable the EQ and listen LCD-2 with stock sound.

I'll try these and get back.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Jimbob54
- I got another dac/amp - a Piooner U-05. Its single-ended amp is nowhere near RME. But I can listen to the same songs with it.
- I can also disable the EQ and listen LCD-2 with stock sound.

I'll try these and get back.

Did you make any progress with this?

OP
cany89

cany89

Did you make any progress with this?
I was just listening to the same tracks with HD 600 while working today. Gonna write later actually but since you asked :)
It seems the distortion I hear is on the tracks. Nothing to do with LCD-2. Only, LCD got more of those because it's more detailed.

Guess I'll never know if a separate amp - a good one - might open up sound stage etc. I'm reluctant to spend more on hp setup for minor to no improvements.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was just listening to the same tracks with HD 600 while working today. Gonna write later actually but since you asked :)
It seems the distortion I hear is on the tracks. Nothing to do with LCD-2. Only, LCD got more of those because it's more detailed.

Guess I'll never know if a separate amp - a good one - might open up sound stage etc. I'm reluctant to spend more on hp setup for minor to no improvements.
You have one of the best measuring hp amps on the market.

Now, one that adds tonnes of distortion might change how the hp presents but the original recording and transducers are responsible for the bulk of what you hear.

OP
cany89

cany89

@Jimbob54

Well, I was reading about these a bit and now I think aside from subjective comments like sounds more open, etc., technically ADI-2 should be driving LCD-2 properly. If there were clipping - because of transients - or distortion on high volumes in general, I would have understood by now.

So thanks for the help :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Jimbob54

Well, I was reading about these a bit and now I think aside from subjective comments like sounds more open, etc., technically ADI-2 should be driving LCD-2 properly. If there were clipping - because of transients - or distortion on high volumes in general, I would have understood by now.

So thanks for the help :)
Yup. If you have your EQ right for you, enough preamp reduction to stop digital clipping, should be good. Can't fix crap recordings though.

OP
cany89

cany89

Yup. If you have your EQ right for you, enough preamp reduction to stop digital clipping, should be good. Can't fix crap recordings though.

Yeah, I downloaded fab filter pro-q 3. It says it never runs out of headroom but I gave -5 dB or so, just to make sure...
Actually, when you got some time, can you listen to the Swan Song by Symphony X, especially the section starting around the 6:10 mark. There are some artifacts on highs that sound like distortion. Maybe it's the song, maybe it's the end of LCD's capabilities I don't know. I'm just curious.

Moonhead

LCD main flaw is the lack of highs, the same with Stax 007, maybe EQ can fix that, but it is surely a sweet can for most rock genres, IMO.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I downloaded fab filter pro-q 3. It says it never runs out of headroom but I gave -5 dB or so, just to make sure...
Actually, when you got some time, can you listen to the Swan Song by Symphony X, especially the section starting around the 6:10 mark. There are some artifacts on highs that sound like distortion. Maybe it's the song, maybe it's the end of LCD's capabilities I don't know. I'm just curious.
What actual eq settings are you running? What frequencies, what amplitude, what target?

OP
cany89

cany89

What actual eq settings are you running? What frequencies, what amplitude, what target?

I think LCD-2 is amazing with these settings, here they are:...
F: 120 Hz / G: +2 dB / Q: 1.41 - low shelf
F: 528 Hz / G: +1.5 dB / Q: 2.3
F: 890 Hz / G: -1.5 dB / Q: 2
F: 1224 Hz / G: -1.5 dB / Q: 2
F: 2200 Hz / G: +2.5 dB / Q: 3
F: 4200 Hz / G: +3 dB / Q: 2.2
F: 6000 Hz / G: +4 dB / Q: 0.3 - high shelf
F: 7400 Hz / G: +2 dB / Q: 3
F: 8130 Hz / G: -2,5 dB / Q: 4
(got these from a youtube channel and changed it a bit. It was either metal571 or resolve)

I got Can Opener on top of this - not with dramatic settings though.

OP
cany89

cany89

LCD main flaw is the lack of highs, the same with Stax 007, maybe EQ can fix that, but it is surely a sweet can for most rock genres, IMO.

Tried many headphones before buying this. Even got a thread here that lasted few weeks where I either ask around for comments or go check them myself. So I never tried planars before, was going to buy HD800s or Fostex TH 900 mk2, I tried both for hours. After listening to those, planars rocked so hard I was speechless lol. Ofc the other two had their moments but I listen to metal most of the time and got HD600 for when I'm not in the mood for heavy headphones.

I checked if it responds well to EQ before buying it. When EQ'd, I think there is no headphone to beat it around $1K. Money was not a problem for me so I'll not play that card. Overall it's a great headphone for the music that I listen to. 100% Recommend :D

Top Bottom