• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New House Shopping, Good Sound Criteria?

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I was noticing varying gaps under the molding along the floor. I would not be concerned if it is a concrete slab; just variations in the finishing.

? What is the area in the laundry room floor that looks like it might be a hatch?

iridium.

I don't know. I barely looked in there, left that part of the house to the wife to look at since she really cares about the laundry room.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I don't know. I barely looked in there, left that part of the house to the wife to look at since she really cares about the laundry room.
If you piss her off you might end up spending a few nights in there so well worth investigating...

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Ah, of course, ground-plane Thigpen rotary no doubt. :)

What better thing so that, when the washer shakes, you can shake it back. :)

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
So we got into a competitive bid situation on the house above, managed to put together a winning offer tonight.

Interestingly, the previous owner was a journeyman electrician and the house is wired for speakers in the major public spaces.

The good: banana plug jacks in the walls of the living room and dining room

The bad: long runs of tiny 'lamp cable' speaker wire in the attic

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
So we got into a competitive bid situation on the house above, managed to put together a winning offer tonight.

Interestingly, the previous owner was a journeyman electrician and the house is wired for speakers in the major public spaces.

The good: banana plug jacks in the walls of the living room and dining room

The bad: long runs of tiny 'lamp cable' speaker wire in the attic
Good luck and congratulations mate.

Are you going to offer the plot as a meth lab for movies and tv as @iridium suggested ?

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Good luck and congratulations mate.

Are you going to offer the plot as a meth lab for movies and tv as @iridium suggested ?

I think that was a different house; maybe in the Interstate 90 area.

They would have to trash this house first to make it appropriate.

Thanks for the thought Thomas.

iridium.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I think that was a different house; maybe in the Interstate 90 area.

They would have to trash this house first to make it appropriate.

Thanks for the thought Thomas.

iridium.

Yep, that's correct -- the 3 building 'compound'

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Just moved in today, still far from done unpacking. This is the new back yard:

IMG_1856 (1).JPG

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Congratulations mate, bet it's nice to finally settle in and start making a house a home.

Indeed!

And on another note, 2 days in a row now we've seen a coyote wandering the neighborhood streets. We'll have to watch out for the cats (coyote food) and the dog (likely to try to hunt and kill it).

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Indeed!

And on another note, 2 days in a row now we've seen a coyote wandering the neighborhood streets. We'll have to watch out for the cats (coyote food) and the dog (likely to try to hunt and kill it).
We get then once in a great while too.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Congrats!

We have coyotes, foxes, racoons (they will kill a dog if confronted), skunks, porcupines (yes, got to deal with that one night), bears, now and then a mountain lion, etc. Most animals will take off when the dog barks. Make sure you have good outdoor floodlights and keep the dog on leash for at least a while. Walk the dog around the perimeter often so s/he learns the boundaries.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Congrats!

We have coyotes, foxes, racoons (they will kill a dog if confronted), skunks, porcupines (yes, got to deal with that one night), bears, now and then a mountain lion, etc. Most animals will take off when the dog barks. Make sure you have good outdoor floodlights and keep the dog on leash for at least a while. Walk the dog around the perimeter often so s/he learns the boundaries.

The bigger challenge with my particular dog is that, after he retired from the race track, he spent a summer as part of a coyote hunting pack in Texas.

Top Bottom