• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New House Shopping, Good Sound Criteria?

Wayne

Forum Donor
helens_page06_15.jpg
laughing-bonobo-360x240.jpg

Love your sense of humor!!

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would be more concerned about the Yellowstone volcanic region.

In true reality, you are moving to the Triple Whammy: earthquake zone, volcano zone, & 100 miles more to Hanford Nuclear Waste Recreation Area.

Californians think we lead boring lives; we are just quiet.

iridium.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
"Worry is abuse of imagination" ... a sign used to say in my boss' office!

I lived through the large quake of 1989 in Bay Area. It was a really scary time but I learned that if it is going to come, it will, and if not, it won't. :) Worrying about it didn't change matters.

Likewise before moving here I read about the triple threats and such but just the same, put that aside. Make sure to take good precautions just in case and go on about your life.

And oh, I had to deal with hurricanes when I lived in Florida. It is hard to get away from natural disasters....

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I lived through the large quake of 1989 in Bay Area.

I lived through that, too. I remember being on El Camino Real in Palo Alto when the plate glass windows of the car dealerships starting breaking sequentially as the shock wave rippled down the streak. Awestruck.

Then I had to live portable housing for a few months because the university wouldn't let us move back into our dorms.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
There's one more (possibly credible) threat:

Ranges-from-NK.jpg

KCNA reported that a spokesman from the North Korean Foreign Ministry said, "The DPRK legally stipulates that if the supreme
dignity of the DPRK is threatened, it must preemptively annihilate those countries and entities that are directly or indirectly involved
in it, by mobilizing all kinds of strike means including the nuclear ones."

"Should the US dare to show even the slightest sign of attempt to remove our supreme leadership, we will strike a merciless blow at the
heart of the US with our powerful nuclear hammer, honed and hardened over time," the foreign ministry spokesman added.

I wonder what my North Korean drinking buddies back in Tokyo would think about all this?

upload_2017-7-25_19-43-31.png

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
I would be more concerned about the Yellowstone volcanic region.

In true reality, you are moving to the Triple Whammy: earthquake zone, volcano zone, & 100 miles more to Hanford Nuclear Waste Recreation Area.

Californians think we lead boring lives; we are just quiet.

iridium.

True that, but heat, fires (plus not enough inspectors) and close to the Mexican wall (drug traffickers and hitmen and virulent gangs) versus some snow (white pure flakes), cooler temperatures and close to the Canadian border (beautiful British Columbia, the Rockies, the islands and the relax/peaceful Canadians).

* You guys have Netflix in Seattle?

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area

Ranges-from-NK.jpg

KCNA reported that a spokesman from the North Korean Foreign Ministry said, "The DPRK legally stipulates that if the supreme
dignity of the DPRK is threatened, it must preemptively annihilate those countries and entities that are directly or indirectly involved
in it, by mobilizing all kinds of strike means including the nuclear ones."

"Should the US dare to show even the slightest sign of attempt to remove our supreme leadership, we will strike a merciless blow at the
heart of the US with our powerful nuclear hammer, honed and hardened over time," the foreign ministry spokesman added.

I wonder what my North Korean drinking buddies back in Tokyo would think about all this?

View attachment 7880

So much shopping for a new home in where Jazz rain.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Ranges-from-NK.jpg
Government has issued proper outfit for everyone in Washington in case of North Korean Nuclear attack:

maxresdefault.jpg

I am sleeping easy.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Welcome! :)

That house is a about 5 minutes from where we used to live. It is pretty reasonably priced for a home there. You have a full acre which is nice.

Septic inspection is mandatory in King County where that home is and you can always back out if it does not check out before closing (check with your realtor of course). Ditto for condition of roof, etc. Usually you have 3 days to back out subject to inspection. So if you really like it, put a contract on it and deal with issues later.

And yes, I hear the market is red hot there. Our kids have taken over our home there or we would have had good time selling it!

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

That house is a about 5 minutes from where we used to live. It is pretty reasonably priced for a home there. You have a full acre which is nice.

Septic inspection is mandatory in King County where that home is and you can always back out if it does not check out before closing (check with your realtor of course). Ditto for condition of roof, etc. Usually you have 3 days to back out subject to inspection. So if you really like it, put a contract on it and deal with issues later.

And yes, I hear the market is red hot there. Our kids have taken over our home there or we would have had good time selling it!

It's also apparently near the wine country, which I had no idea was a touristy thing like Napa...

We drove back along a different route and there was a music festival going on at Chateau St. Michelle.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

Thanks for the welcome!

It's a full acre of mostly 2nd-growth forest (I used to work in lumbering). I wouldn't even walk through the undergrowth to find the property line. I'd need a machete. But it certainly gives privacy and damps sound.

The big living room has very tall ceilings which could be good acoustically, but it's also open in one way or another on all sides. I'm not sure where I'd put speakers.

iridium

WARNING, Sirens Going Off:
Is this slab on grade, or does this have a crawl space? A crawl space is not always a bad thing; run wiring, plumbing, etc.
Crawl spaces in this area are First Class homes for rats, and crawl spaces are extremely hard to seal off if not built properly. Rats dig deep & come back-up. Rats rip-out most of the insulation bit by bit. Lots of odors.
There appears to be a crawl-space hatch in the laundry room; better take a close look!
Just looking at the photos it appears that some floors are not level.

iridium.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
WARNING, Sirens Going Off:
Is this slab on grade, or does this have a crawl space? A crawl space is not always a bad thing; run wiring, plumbing, etc.
Crawl spaces in this area are First Class homes for rats, and crawl spaces are extremely hard to seal off if not built properly. Rats dig deep & come back-up. Rats rip-out most of the insulation bit by bit. Lots of odors.
There appears to be a crawl-space hatch in the laundry room; better take a close look!
Just looking at the photos it appears that some floors are not level.

iridium.

It's a concrete slab.

If the floors weren't level, I didn't notice it walking around.

iridium

It's a concrete slab.

If the floors weren't level, I didn't notice it walking around.

I was noticing varying gaps under the molding along the floor. I would not be concerned if it is a concrete slab; just variations in the finishing.

? What is the area in the laundry room floor that looks like it might be a hatch?

iridium.

Top Bottom