• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Home Theater Setup - AVR/AMP questions

Sash

Hello, all!

I just joined the forums and would love to learn more about this world of hi-fi thus I have a few questions.

I recently ordered a pair of Ohm Walsh 2000s since I like a lot about them specifically for the place I live in currently.
Now, I still haven't bought anything else but since I'd be using the setup for both movies and music I chose to go to the AVR route.

I have scoured the web, read reviews and such and finally landed on the Marantz Cinema 70s. I like its form-factor, it has most of the things I will need and I'm not going to pay a lot for extras I'll never use. With that in mind the Marantz could potentially drive the speakers but I guess not to loud levels. So it got me thinking that I would benefit from external AMP or multiple ones in bridged mode. The one I liked is the Topping LA90 Discrete.
So, the questions I have are:

1. Is my choice of AVR good enough, considering I am just starting out and time will pass until I actually add more channels to the system? Also, I'd like to add a turntable at some point, so a Phono input is nice.
  2. Is my choice of AVR + separate amps for LR a good choice or is it better to use the same kind of budget for a higher-end AVR even though I'd not be using a lot of the extra features they provide?
  3. Is my choice of AMPs (if I go to that route) a good one or is there a better solution that would do the same job if not better?
  4. Does the Topping LA90 require balanced input for bridge mode or is the RCA-XLR still going to work?
  5. Would I miss on the higher-end room corrections by only having access to the one that the 70s has which is Audyssey MultiEQ?

I think those are the burning questions I have for now before I pull the trigger to get the needed equipment. Thank you in advance! :)

Top Bottom