• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Home Theater REW Readings - Let me know how I did. (newbie designed and built)

Max5286

Hello Guy's,

I just recently finished my "DIY" Theater Room and overall I am very happy with the result... :)... Admittedly I am very new to all this but doing research, planning, and implementation is what I love to do... Here is my setup...I am looking for ideas to further improve this room. All ears!!!

Speakers/Amps/Projector
11.4.4 System

HK2299 Projector (got it for $600...)
L/C/R - 3 x HTM 12's
Surround - 4 x Volt 8's
Atmos - 4 x RSL C34E
0-80hz - 2 x 18" Custom Ported VBSS
80-120hz - 2 x 18" VBSS
Denon AVR-4700h
1 x 6000D Sub Amplifier
1 x 3000D Sub Amplifier
1 x 150w Atmos Amplifier... Can remember the brand...

Room Treatment
8 x GIK 244's (4 more to be added to the Ceiling this weekend)
16" Elevated Couch Platform used as a Base Trap with outlets and covers. (2 layers of 3/4 Plywood - Insulated) (doesn't seem to be doing as much as I would have thought)
Front Speaker Platform and Screen wall - 13" platform and with sand. Rear insulated panels behind speakers (only 1.25"...)
Regretting not sound proofing the room.... This system shakes Sh** off my wall 2 levels up.

I attached my "amatur" REW readings. To be transparent these readings where done after Audyssey Correction. Didnt feel comfortable doing it myself yet. (Advice?)

Attachments

• Theater 2.jpeg
    Theater 2.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 203
  • Theater.jpeg
    Theater.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 208
  • Main Seat - R Channel - RT60 Decay.jpg
    Main Seat - R Channel - RT60 Decay.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 219
  • Main Seat - R Channel - SPL.jpg
    Main Seat - R Channel - SPL.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 219
  • Main Seat - R Channel - Waterfall.jpg
    Main Seat - R Channel - Waterfall.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 212
  • Home Theater.png
    Home Theater.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 210
  • Theater speakers.png
    Theater speakers.png
    229.3 KB · Views: 205
  • Home Theater Photo's.pdf
    700.2 KB · Views: 69

MachOne

Does it sound a bit hot in the upper mids? Normally in the listening position you'd have a bit more downward slope from 1kHz, about 6db down at 20kHz. Not sure which version of Auddyssey you are using, but you might have some options for the target curve.

(It does look like you can edit the target curve in the Denon)

mj30250

Looks like a good start. Try using the Audyssey app to limit correction to below your room's transition frequency and re-measure.

OP
M

Max5286

Does it sound a bit hot in the upper mids? Normally in the listening position you'd have a bit more downward slope from 1kHz, about 6db down at 20kHz. Not sure which version of Auddyssey you are using, but you might have some options for the target curve.

Hmmm... Since you pointed it out I have been messing around with it and I agree.. I will adjust, run again and test. Thanks

OP
M

Max5286

Looks like a good start. Try using the Audyssey app to limit correction to below your room's transition frequency and re-measure.
Can you please explain this a little more?

mj30250

Download the Audyssey MultEQ app, it should be around $20. Use it to rerun the measurements. Afterwards, it will allow you to adjust several settings, some that you can already adjust via the AVR, and some that are exclusive to the app. Go into the Filter Frequency Range function and limit correction for each speaker to something between 200 and 300Hz to start. This will allow the treble to naturally roll off and should take the edge off of the "hot" mids / treble.

YSC

Major Contributor
try to limit the correction to FR below 200hz as around that frequency for most rooms, above that our ears can figure out where the direct sound is, so the direct+reflected sound total could be irrelevant, and when the room is well treated, it should have 200hz+ frequency to gently roll off like in the predicted in room response. and for fun purpose, maybe you would want the in room response to a 50db vertical scale and like 1/12 or 1/24 smoothing to have a quick look

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Pretty epic room you have here OP, congrats. I agree with the others who suggested a little more treble roll off towards the end of the spectrum. FWIW, I like Dirac's new house curve, which in my room is around -3 @ 16.5khz and then -6 @ 20khz.

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In your frequency response graph you've got +/= 10dB happening looking at the scale. A little bass boost if you want and taper down to -6dB on the treble and it looks like some correction software could give you an even better curve judging on what we can see. I've no idea of the capabilities of Audyssey but hopefully easy. Next time you post a graph from REW crop it down to 20-20kHz and give the "Y" axis more like 2-5dB marks instead of 10 and you'll get a much clearer picture of what's actually going on.

OP
M

Max5286

Pretty epic room you have here OP, congrats. I agree with the others who suggested a little more treble roll off towards the end of the spectrum. FWIW, I like Dirac's new house curve, which in my room is around -3 @ 16.5khz and then -6 @ 20khz.
Thanks - planning on working through it this weekend and will update with new readings.

OP
M

Max5286

I was able to correct this down about 5db. Now that its changed I can confirm it was definitely hot in the upper mids.

Thanks for the info.

MachOne

I was able to correct this down about 5db. Now that its changed I can confirm it was definitely hot in the upper mids.

Thanks for the info.
Good good. Looks like a great room that you'll get a lot of enjoyment from. You've done a great job on it.

Top Bottom