• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Holo Red (pi based) Streamer / DDC

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With my near-terms plans to dump roon and move back to jriver, I continued to search for a pi based (like the open source and multiple os options) streamer with aes output (that could also play dsd audio) to connect to my Dutch 8c's. It addressed the double d-a / a-d conversion if using analog, minimizes the number of boxes (including a spdif to aes converter) needed.
Up until now i have had no luck finding that one box solution.
Holo has released the new Holo Red streamer that is a pi based streamer within a DDC. While i am not enamored with the red color (everything i have is black and this will not sit well with the wife :)) it has everything i want.

While expensive for a pi, i thought the dual functionality made the @$775 price reasonable considering it has no competition to speak of except for ifi's newish neo stream at $1300.

It has had some preliminary tests done by both wolf (i think jitter only) and goldenone
If interested in finding out more there is a thread at headfi

Il threw caution to the wind, ordered one and took one for the team. Expected to ship in 4-6 weeks (typical holo products)

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No have not received. I am not even sure i have an order that has been accepted. I got an order rejection email from them. My phone number was not correct :facepalm:
Those that know (i did not) when kisunehifi website says "in stock" it is not. You find this out once the order is placed an auto response from them tells you. Apparently its at least a month wait.

4 emails to Kitsune on multiple subjects and no response on any of them (including the phone number update).

I had been warned regarding ordering from them and tried to order from an overseas HOLO distributor who actually have them "in stock" but they rejected my orders. I was stuck ordering from Kitsune.

You have been warned.

Demon3

I ordered the Serene preamp from the Kitsune site no problem. I understand what you mean about the "in stock" situation but they do explain what they mean by that on the site. Have the Serene and the May KTE. Great combo. From their site "This is special order item (will show “in stock” if able to order, this means we have the parts available for this Amp and the order can be placed), with a typical 5.5+ weeks (estimated) delivery time to USA customers. However orders placed after Jan 1st (every year) may be delayed due to Chinese new year and add an additional 2weeks. This is out of our control."

Last edited:

Demon3

I ordered the Serene preamp from the Kitsune site no problem. I understand what you mean about the "in stock" situation but they do explain what they mean by that on the site. Have the Serene and the May KTE. Great combo. From their site "This is special order item (will show “in stock” if able to order, this means we have the parts available for this Amp and the order can be placed), with a typical 5.5+ weeks (estimated) delivery time to USA customers. However orders placed after Jan 1st (every year) may be delayed due to Chinese new year and add an additional 2weeks. This is out of our control."
Update to my post: after seeing the incredible jitter measurements I ordered one too. It will replace 2 devides, the ultraRendu and the Singxer SU6 DDC, which means one less USB cable to have to tinker with (USB cable alone can be $1k for such a system although after trying 10 or so my favorite is the affordable Semper Fi from Gothic).

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My Red sd card slot crapped out (no longer locks the card in place and as such, cant load os) and i am having to either get it repaired or get a refund. Unlike my purchase, this rma issue has been a complete 180. Am getting timely responses that are very customer centric. Not sure what i am receiving is the norm based upon reading a ton of feedback on Kitsune on other forum but I am pleasantly surprised and very thankful. In complete disclosure, my defective unit situation communication was facilitated by an intermediary who offered to contact Tim (owner of Kitsune) on my behalf to expedite the process.

Demon3

Thank you for the update. I have the May KTE and Serene already. Amazing products and no issues. Hope the Red is the same. I had an ultraRendu and that was faulty - eventually they replaced it.

freedomgli

No have not received. I am not even sure i have an order that has been accepted. I got an order rejection email from them. My phone number was not correct :facepalm:
Those that know (i did not) when kisunehifi website says "in stock" it is not. You find this out once the order is placed an auto response from them tells you. Apparently its at least a month wait.

4 emails to Kitsune on multiple subjects and no response on any of them (including the phone number update).

I had been warned regarding ordering from them and tried to order from an overseas HOLO distributor who actually have them "in stock" but they rejected my orders. I was stuck ordering from Kitsune.

You have been warned.
I feel disdain for any business that starts with deceit (says it’s in stock when it’s not) and then has abysmal communication. Who are these businesses that don’t want to sell equipment and make money and customers happy?

freedomgli

I ordered the Serene preamp from the Kitsune site no problem. I understand what you mean about the "in stock" situation but they do explain what they mean by that on the site. Have the Serene and the May KTE. Great combo. From their site "This is special order item (will show “in stock” if able to order, this means we have the parts available for this Amp and the order can be placed), with a typical 5.5+ weeks (estimated) delivery time to USA customers.
Instead of saying “In stock” they should say “built to order” and then give an accurate estimate of the shipping date.

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Instead of saying “In stock” they should say “built to order” and then give an accurate estimate of the shipping date.
i had the same feeling when i ordered mine.
I think if you check now, the wording has changed
Better? A bit. My feeling its in the wrong place. Too far down at the bottom of the page away from the buy button
Here is the new language

"IMPORTANT NOTES to read before ordering:

Estimate time before shipping: typically about a 5.5-6.5 week production time and about 4-6day ship time via DHL international.

thanks for your patience. we are excited for these to finally ship. we have had many delays over the holidays. PLEASE, do no order if you are not able to wait for this product. Our estimates are just that, an estimate. however are mostly accurate. And please be patient and do not email us for updates during the production period.

You will receive dhl waybill once your order ships. Do not expect any updates until after production period has ended. We just ask for your patience. we are producing and shipping these in the order received. Be sure to read the terms and conditions before checkout. We have been getting many emails for updates but hope people will read this and understand why there are delays on this product. thank you for your patience and understanding."

Last edited:

HairyEars

My Red sd card slot crapped out (no longer locks the card in place and as such, cant load os) and i am having to either get it repaired or get a refund. Unlike my purchase, this rma issue has been a complete 180. Am getting timely responses that are very customer centric. Not sure what i am receiving is the norm based upon reading a ton of feedback on Kitsune on other forum but I am pleasantly surprised and very thankful. In complete disclosure, my defective unit situation communication was facilitated by an intermediary who offered to contact Tim (owner of Kitsune) on my behalf to expedite the process.
SD crapping out is all too typical with those devices. I returned my Allo DigiOne for that reason. I'm tempted to try out the Red, but Pie based devices have left a sour taste. Lumin Mini 2 is more expensive, but easier to live with.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been searching for a streamer and DDC as well.

Demon3

The Holo Red is superb and quite a value. No issues with mine. Not sure how a card slot can stop working as the card is never removed. Now experimenting with battery power. You can build a Stromtank equivalent for a tiny fraction of the cost with components from Amazon.

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure how a card slot can stop working as the card is never removed.
Quite simple to understand really. The card is removed everytime you want or need to change the os. I changed mine 2x and the 3rd time the slot failed to accept the card.
Is this really a challenge for you?

Demon3

I see. I plugged mine in and it worked, so no changes needed.

Top Bottom