• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Hobby

zog13

During Covid-19 I have started playing with a raspberry pi and streaming music. I have played with Moode Audio and Volumio. But I want to take the next step. I am just starting out on this new hobby :) I have the following:

Intel Nuc 10 Ubuntu 20
Raspberry Pi 4 and 3
Allo Boss Dac (just ordered)
Sonos Arc
A lot of Flac Music on google drive

My Plan?

Install Logitec Music Server on Intel Nuc. Mount a google drive using Rclone. Install piCorePlayer on raspberry pi w/ Dac. Thoughts? Any better suggestions?

And finally, I need a pair of good bookshelf speakers?

Thank you!

OP
Z

zog13

I guess about $400 - $500. No clue yet where to get them

Aldoszx

You can try to install Daphile as LMS on NUC.
piCorePlayer is a good alternative for Squezelite client but you can try also Ropieee XL.

ScofieldKid

Some Revel speakers have been getting good reviews here...

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Have you seen the database of speakers? Link
Since your budget is under $500/pair, you can see all the reviewed options below.
I've excluded options above this price point.
1601315185025.png

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Yes I would like powered speakers
Well, that narrows down the options a lot.
We're now looking at powered speakers below $500usd/pair.

From the picture above, you can see 3 options that stand out (in no particular order):
- JBL 305P MKII (has -6dB at 41hz)
- AudioEngine A5+ Classic (has -6dB at 53hz)
- Yamaha HS5 (has -6dB at 54hz)

Different sizes, of course. Do you have a limit on the size of the speaker? Maybe you have a limited space and prefer smaller ones? Or no limit?

All of which, Amir liked and recommended.

EDIT:
I totally missed the Vanatoo Transparent Zero (due to the different colour on the chart because its an active speaker with a DAC). It has -6dB at 60hz. Amir liked it.

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
We really need more budget (below $600/pair) powered speakers tested...IMO.
I heard of at least 3 that Amir *might* have for testing in that price range....hopefully they'll be added to the recommended list. *fingers crossed* :D

Webninja

Forum Donor
Yes we do. I have the 305s, and I really have a tough time figuring out an upgrade without jumping into over $1,000/pr.

@zog13 For the price alone, the JBLs are going to be hard to beat. I’ve seen them under $200/pr during sales

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Personal opinion below:
I have JBL 305P MKII.
The bass is awesome (better -6dB measurements, when compared to other 2 options above)(I haven't tried other options myself), but they're a little bit bright (you can tell by looking at the estimated in-room-response graph).
To tame them down, I applied a manual set of EQ. They sound just right and more pleasing to listen to for a lot longer.

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I really have a tough time figuring out an upgrade without jumping into over $1,000/pr.
I have the same dilemma.

Above $1000/pair, Neumann KH80 jumps out...then at $1400/pair Neumann KH120, Genelec 8030C, etc.

I'm hoping Amir will review the following $600/pair active speakers *hopefully this year*:
- Adam T8V (regular $600/pair)
- IK Multimedia iLoud MTM (on sale for $600/pair)
- Yamaha HS8 (on sale for $600/pair)

BillG

Major Contributor

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
What's your listening distance?

If it's short (approx 1m), then you can choose the smaller speaker of a lineup, since you won't be playing it loud anyway.
If it's longer than 1m, then you'll need to consider your listening levels.

For example:
JBL 305P MKII can hit 94dB max continuous SPL, while the bigger brother (JBL 308P MKII) can hit 102dB max continuous SPL.

Similar with Yamaha HS5,HS7,HS8.

Top Bottom