• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New HiBy R6 Hi Res Audio DAP Discussion

amper42

Major Contributor
Recently purchased the New HiBy R6 Android 9 based HiRes Audio Player (DAP). I have a 2003 iPod 3rd generation M8948LL/A that I resurrected from storage and installed a new $17 battery in. It works, but after using it for a few months off site, I thought it would be fun to try a HiRes DAP. I was looking for a unit that supported fast charging, color 1080P display, Dual ES9038Q2M, 64GB ROM, micro SD option and native DSD512, 32bit / 768kHz support as well as LDAC and Wifi. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09P6CNLT7

This thread offers my experience good and bad and I'm looking for other HiBy R6 users who may want to contribute as well. As the user manual provided with the HiBy R6 is limited to mostly describing buttons and limited English it would be helpful to have a thread that could offer a resource for R6 users.

New HiBy R6 Manual

I'm one of the few who still don't carry a mobile phone. I purchased one of the original Motorola bricks years ago and found it was mostly used by people wanting me to do something for them while I was out. When it was stolen from of my truck during the first year of service, I was relieved. :D Never wanted a mobile phone again or the monthly charges associated with it. But with a nice collection of music and time away from home it's nice to have a small portable music player. So, the DAP search was on.

First day
When the New HiBy R6 arrived the firmware was dated mid 2021. After wifi was connected, updating the firmware began. After two sessions the latest version 1.04G_20220513 was installed. Not being an Android user with mostly Apple experience the OS was foreign and the manual was absolutely limited except to point out functions of external hardware buttons. I began to realize this was a puzzle needing exploration.

I have been unsuccessful in mounting the HiBy R6 on my MacBook Pro using AndroidFileTransfer. But, was able to load music onto the R6 with the menu driven "Imports Music via Wifi" menu under the user logo. The New R6 was sold as having 64GB of internal ROM but when I looked at the storage space available it was only 20GB with the System requiring 11GB. Triple tapping on the battery icon at the top of the R6 screen got me to the Battery menu and a swipe to setting showed me the "About device" menu. To my surprise, the hardware only displayed half of 64GB or 32GB of internal ROM. As I tried different menu's and charging the R6 it wasn't long until the R6 refused to play any music through the headphone jack. At this point, I was ready to buy a manual but my search failed to find such a book. The learning curve was getting steeper and on board storage reporting half of what the sales literate showed was disturbing. Now I had a device that couldn't even play via headphones. :facepalm:

Returning the unit was on my mind but I wanted to figure out what was happening. I found instructions to wipe all user data including Wifi password. I followed the instructions below and it not only fixed the unit but increased available ROM to 64GB.

Wipe all user data
While R6 device is powered on:
1. Press Power button and select Restart
2. When Restart starts, Press and hold the Skip Prev button (above Play button)
You enter the screensaver for recovery mode, which looks like an Android lying on its back, with the words "No command" underneath.

Enter Android Recovery mode:
1. Press and hold the power button
2. While holding the power button, press the Skip Prev button once again.
Now use Volume wheel to navigate and push power button to select. Run the following:
1. Wipe data/factory reset - wait for this to complete
2. Next, navigate to restart option and push the power button
3. The R6 will restart with all user data removed AND the ROM now offers 64GB - That's 32GB more for your audio files even without using a micro SD card.

After this surgery, everything worked better on the R6, I loaded my music again and was really happy with the extra ROM space for audio files. Things are looking much better than a few hours ago. If I bought a new R6 now the first thing I would check is the ROM size shown in "About device". If it was 32GB, I would follow the "Wipe all user data" instructions to get the unit formatted properly. I'm not sure how my new R6 was formatted straight from the factory, but it's fixed now.

Last edited:
OP
A

amper42

Major Contributor
Nice review of the HiBy R6:

What a difference in Portable Music devices since 2003.
R6-vs-iPod2003.png

HiBy 2020 R6 with leather case.
HiBy 2020 R6 with case.png

Last edited:

Keys59

Recently purchased the New HiBy R6 Android 9 based HiRes Audio Player (DAP). I have a 2003 iPod 3rd generation M8948LL/A that I resurrected from storage and installed a new $17 battery in. It works, but after using it for a few months off site, I thought it would be fun to try a HiRes DAP. I was looking for a unit that supported fast charging, color 1080P display, Dual ES9038Q2M, 64GB ROM, micro SD option and native DSD512, 32bit / 768kHz support as well as LDAC and Wifi. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09P6CNLT7

This thread offers my experience good and bad and I'm looking for other HiBy R6 users who may want to contribute as well. As the user manual provided with the HiBy R6 is limited to mostly describing buttons and limited English it would be helpful to have a thread that could offer a resource for R6 users.

New HiBy R6 Manual

I'm one of the few who still don't carry a mobile phone. I purchased one of the original Motorola bricks years ago and found it was mostly used by people wanting me to do something for them while I was out. When it was stolen from of my truck during the first year of service, I was relieved. :D Never wanted a mobile phone again or the monthly charges associated with it. But with a nice collection of music and time away from home it's nice to have a small portable music player. So, the DAP search was on.

First day
When the New HiBy R6 arrived the firmware was dated mid 2021. After wifi was connected, updating the firmware began. After two sessions the latest version 1.04G_20220513 was installed. Not being an Android user with mostly Apple experience the OS was foreign and the manual was absolutely limited except to point out functions of external hardware buttons. I began to realize this was a puzzle needing exploration.

I have been unsuccessful in mounting the HiBy R6 on my MacBook Pro using AndroidFileTransfer. But, was able to load music onto the R6 with the menu driven "Imports Music via Wifi" menu under the user logo. The New R6 was sold as having 64GB of internal ROM but when I looked at the storage space available it was only 20GB with the System requiring 11GB. Triple tapping on the battery icon at the top of the R6 screen got me to the Battery menu and a swipe to setting showed me the "About device" menu. To my surprise, the hardware only displayed half of 64GB or 32GB of internal ROM. As I tried different menu's and charging the R6 it wasn't long until the R6 refused to play any music through the headphone jack. At this point, I was ready to buy a manual but my search failed to find such a book. The learning curve was getting steeper and on board storage reporting half of what the sales literate showed was disturbing. Now I had a device that couldn't even play via headphones. :facepalm:

Returning the unit was on my mind but I wanted to figure out what was happening. I found instructions to wipe all user data including Wifi password. I followed the instructions below and it not only fixed the unit but increased available ROM to 64GB.

Wipe all user data
While R6 device is powered on:
1. Press Power button and select Restart
2. When Restart starts, Press and hold the Skip Prev button (above Play button)
You enter the screensaver for recovery mode, which looks like an Android lying on its back, with the words "No command" underneath.

Enter Android Recovery mode:
1. Press and hold the power button
2. While holding the power button, press the Skip Prev button once again.
Now use Volume wheel to navigate and push power button to select. Run the following:
1. Wipe data/factory reset - wait for this to complete
2. Next, navigate to restart option and push the power button
3. The R6 will restart with all user data removed AND the ROM now offers 64GB - That's 32GB more for your audio files even without using a micro SD card.

After this surgery, everything worked better on the R6, I loaded my music again and was really happy with the extra ROM space for audio files. Things are looking much better than a few hours ago. If I bought a new R6 now the first thing I would check is the ROM size shown in "About device". If it was 32GB, I would follow the "Wipe all user data" instructions to get the unit formatted properly. I'm not sure how my new R6 was formatted straight from the factory, but it's fixed now.
I just purchased a Hiby R6 Gen III and this post was SO helpful. I have been able to get the device set up and streaming and Google Play, yes I do have a cell phone and smart phones over the years (though never the high end latest models) I have been able to get my cd library onto a micro sd card, then put it into my phone, but wanted to try a DAP for my cd playback on a "High Res" player. The streaming app sounds great (Tidal) but I could not get the device to read my sd card. It's an expensive unit. I am a professional musician and teacher (mostly classical and church pianist) but listen and study many genres. Your clear instructions on how to do a factory reset were great. I am going to return this device, but I have learned a lot. Maybe in the future I will buy it I have tried out 3 other DAPS in this price range. Plus I found this forum and subscribed so that is great, too. Thanks again.

OP
A

amper42

Major Contributor
I just purchased a Hiby R6 Gen III and this post was SO helpful. I have been able to get the device set up and streaming and Google Play, yes I do have a cell phone and smart phones over the years (though never the high end latest models) I have been able to get my cd library onto a micro sd card, then put it into my phone, but wanted to try a DAP for my cd playback on a "High Res" player. The streaming app sounds great (Tidal) but I could not get the device to read my sd card. It's an expensive unit. I am a professional musician and teacher (mostly classical and church pianist) but listen and study many genres. Your clear instructions on how to do a factory reset were great. I am going to return this device, but I have learned a lot. Maybe in the future I will buy it I have tried out 3 other DAPS in this price range. Plus I found this forum and subscribed so that is great, too. Thanks again.

The SD card needs to be formatted in a PC format. Once done the R6 will recognize the card. You can then copy music from your computer to the R6 with a USB cable. That's how I loaded my library of music.

Keys59

Thank you so much~I decided that I can wait awhile and maybe later after I get my teaching studio re-launched after being in a low gear, very low gear, since April 2020. I returned it but perhaps will order it and try it again. Of all the DAPs I have tried out I liked this one the very best. I am also glad to have found this forum! Oh, yes, the micro sd card was already formatted as I had used it in my phone for quite some time. It was not readily evident to me how to set things up properly on the R6 Gen III. The instructions are very skimpy and not detailed.

Cheers, Keys59

Last edited:

Connor68

HI there,
I have problems to use my SD card for two! functions in the R6. Perhaps here is someone who can help me.

First: I want to save all my music libary on the SD card and listen to it with the R6. This works fine for me ... BUT ...
second: I also want to save (download) Music from Deezer on the same SD card, to listen offline (e.g. sitting in the train etc.)

To save my own music library on the SD card, it must be formatted in a PC format.
To download music from Deezer on the SD card, it must be formatted in a Hiby format. But this will delete my own music library and vice versa.

Is there any solution to this problem?

Thanks for help,
Markus

kysa

HI there,
I have problems to use my SD card for two! functions in the R6. Perhaps here is someone who can help me.

First: I want to save all my music libary on the SD card and listen to it with the R6. This works fine for me ... BUT ...
second: I also want to save (download) Music from Deezer on the same SD card, to listen offline (e.g. sitting in the train etc.)

To save my own music library on the SD card, it must be formatted in a PC format.
To download music from Deezer on the SD card, it must be formatted in a Hiby format. But this will delete my own music library and vice versa.

Is there any solution to this problem?

Thanks for help,
Markus
I highly doubt a HiBy format exists. I'm pretty sure you're formatting your SD Card to NTFS via PC, while HiBy it supports FAT/exFAT. exFAT should be recognized both by your PC and a HiBy Player. And you don't have to use a specific filesystem to be able to download Deezer Music.

Jaysz

Just bought the r6 111
Liking the sound and features.
But player keeps moving tracks from music folders and putting them in different folders.
I formatted the sd card in player then copied album from pc to player but if I add tracks from different albums it makes another folder or puts some of them in unknown
Some albums all
When read card in player with pc
tracks not moved.
If I make playlists where are they as can’t see where they are
Is there a way for player to read card as copied

Top Bottom