• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New here

OP
S

StaresyJ

Yeah, sounds like a wise choice. Keep in mind it's not a power house amp and run it easy and it'll be fine. Your speakers are 8 Ohm and so everything should play well together.
I will send a video when she’s singing (hopefully) early 2023. Thanks again, what a lovely intro to this community. There are nice people in this world.

OP
S

StaresyJ

Regarding your CD player question. I think you'll be good with anything that has a toslink or spdif output. Just rout it through your E30 and use its dac.
Thank you, I want to use the DAC as it has a great sound stage even through the Audio Pro single speaker. Looking at a tangent CD2. Good price (£150), and has toslink.

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you, I want to use the DAC as it has a great sound stage even through the Audio Pro single speaker. Looking at a tangent CD2. Good price (£150), and has toslink.
Looks good to me. You also might want to consider something like a Sony CDP-CE500. They're a 5 CD changer with toslink out, and I see them going for about $150

OP
S

StaresyJ

Looks good to me. You also might want to consider something like a Sony CDP-CE500. They're a 5 CD changer with toslink out, and I see them going for about $150
Ok, will do some research on that. I’m weirdly excited to get back to sitting down, chilling out listening to an album (even on CD) from start to finish like I did 30 years ago. Streaming has taken away some of the pleasure of listening to the artist as presented I think?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, will do some research on that. I’m weirdly excited to get back to sitting down, chilling out listening to an album (even on CD) from start to finish like I did 30 years ago. Streaming has taken away some of the pleasure of listening to the artist as presented I think?
Don't forget the moon rocks for relaxing and listening to tunes. :D

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m not sure where to source moon rocks!
I'm in Canada so they are all legal country wide and I buy them from my favorite cannabis store. They have 2 flavors. Blueberry and lime. I can't say enough good things about them. They smoke smooth like really smooth. I had headphones on and was using my water pipe and forgot to put water in it and after 45 minutes I noticed no water. I just skip all the flower and stuff and just go straight to the hash and moon rocks. Moon rocks smoke a lot. Lotsa smoke and they are sooper high THC.

OP
S

StaresyJ

Yeah, sounds like a wise choice. Keep in mind it's not a power house amp and run it easy and it'll be fine. Your speakers are 8 Ohm and so everything should play well together.
Sorry another question! The Topping e30ii has a pre-amp mode. Could this “boast” power to the Cambridge A1 on its travels to the speakers ?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry another question! The Topping e30ii has a pre-amp mode. Could this “boast” power to the Cambridge A1 on its travels to the speakers ?
No boost capability. Just pre-amp control.

OP
S

StaresyJ

By way of an update! Quite a bit to filter down, so here goes.
1. Cambridge Audio A1 Amp. Gave her a good clean with the deoxit, and she sings! More below.
2. CA SX50’s. They arrived, connected to the A1 and everything works as it should.
3. Now the key bit.. I started slowly, connected the Tangent CD2 to the A1 and played a well known CD. I’d give it 5/10. A bit flat and lifeless. Volume to drive the SX50’s was 30/40% so the A1 is plenty enough it seems.
4. Next, sat the Topping E30ii between CD player and A1. Noticeably better sound, I’d say 6-7/10, probably highlights the poor DAC in the tangent?
5. But lastly, I decided to try my cloud based music (Qobuz for this test) just using IPhone and lightning to the USB port on the Topping. The result, unbelievably good. The sound and clarity was amazing. The SX50’s totally transformed and the A1 is delivering a wonderful sound with just a hint of treble increase on my part to get my preferred sound.
6. My conclusion today, listening to CD redbook only will be ok, but the massive uptick in sonic pleasure listening to the cloud based music is so far ahead I’m going to struggle to get this particular CD player to excite me.
Finally, thanks to all those that suggested I give the A1 a fair trial, she sounds wonderful for a 25 year old amp, she’s staying for now, no question.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
the massive uptick in sonic pleasure listening to the cloud based music is so far ahead I’m going to struggle to get this particular CD player to excite me.
The spontaneity that cloud based music subscription allows is great! Can make a playlist or just let the software learn your preferences and then make a playlist automatically. So many choices. I have ~3040 bookmarked audio files.

OP
S

StaresyJ

I really want to be a sort of audiophile, but at my budget (£150 speakers) a cleaned up A1 (worth maybe £50) and a £120 DAC, the difference in sound quality to old skool CD’s with streaming is huge. I think the Wiim pro I have on order as my streamer will finish things perfect for now. If my numbers come up on the lottery, I might change track.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I really want to be a sort of audiophile, but at my budget (£150 speakers) a cleaned up A1 (worth maybe £50) and a £120 DAC, the difference in sound quality to old skool CD’s with streaming is huge. I think the Wiim pro I have on order as my streamer will finish things perfect for now. If my numbers come up on the lottery, I might change track.
People can be amazed and pleased with the simplest of audio gear if it sounds respectable. It does not have to sound awesome just have decent frequency response and low distortion.

OP
S

StaresyJ

People can be amazed and pleased with the simplest of audio gear if it sounds respectable. It does not have to sound awesome just have decent frequency response and low distortion.
Well today was an eye opener having consumed music for the past 20 odd years with a succession of Bluetooth and wifi speakers. The pleasure of passive speakers and an amp has lifted my spirits.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well today was an eye opener having consumed music for the past 20 odd years with a succession of Bluetooth and wifi speakers. The pleasure of passive speakers and an amp has lifted my spirits.
O' yes, music is a game changer like air conditioning and a nice hot tub. I have music playing most of my days. Like up to 16 hours a day if I am awake that much.

Top Bottom