• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New here

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DeoxIT-large.jpg.auto.webp
Meant to type Deoxit website has directions on how to clean electronic/audio gear.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It might require a spray into the controls and switches to clean and lubricate them. It would not be surprising if they do require that.
Don’t have it plugged in when you do that!!!

OP
S

StaresyJ

Don’t have it plugged in when you do that!!!
Haha! I’m new back to the real hifi game but I think I would be cautious about that! I would like to have look inside and see if dust has penetrated the grills. It looks okay but I would still like a peek I think.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Haha! I’m new back to the real hifi game but I think I would be cautious about that! I would like to have look inside and see if dust has penetrated the grills. It looks okay but I would still like a peek I think.
Send a pic(s) of the internals so we can determine what model and topography it is.

OP
S

StaresyJ

Send a pic(s) of the internals so we can determine what model and topography it is.
Okay too excited to wait! Lid off! What do you see? She looks pretty clean to me

Attachments

• 7CA8F255-695E-446F-9417-4D00D2CCC92E.jpeg
    7CA8F255-695E-446F-9417-4D00D2CCC92E.jpeg
    301.1 KB · Views: 105
OP
S

StaresyJ

Okay, will take the lid off tomorrow and send a picture. Thanks for the input, really very kind.
From the top looks like labelled 1997

Attachments

• 19317D32-CDE8-446F-A3E9-D03ACB128EBA.jpeg
    19317D32-CDE8-446F-A3E9-D03ACB128EBA.jpeg
    345.8 KB · Views: 57

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There are so many versions of A1 although it would seem it might have the TDA15XX series car audio amplifier IC in it. They range from 12W/ch to 50W/ch depending on the version and topography.
Oh maybe not, does that fit on the stalks?
Yes, the phono stage is a option that was not installed.

OP
S

StaresyJ

There are so many versions of A1 although it would seem it might have the TDA15XX series car audio amplifier IC in it. They range from 12W/ch to 50W/ch depending on the version and topography.

Yes, the phono stage is an option that was not installed.
I don’t like the sound of a car audio!

OP
S

StaresyJ

I think so, it's not installed. However the girl looks very neat inside - how did you store it all these years?
In a cardboard box with a lid on! She is very clean. God I hope she fires !

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t like the sound of a car audio!
I used to specialize in high end car audio service in the 80's and 90's. Some of those car audio ICs sound pretty good. If you want to pop the cover off the heatsink-IC we can find out more but that requires a screwdriver and a steady hand. Don't bother if you are not mechanically handy. I'm going to hazard a guess and say with a single IC layout and the smallish size that this is a 25W/ch amp non-version Mark III.

OP
S

StaresyJ

I used to specialize in high end car audio service in the 80's and 90's. Some of those car audio ICs sound pretty good. If you want to pop the cover off the heatsink-IC we can find out more but that requires a screwdriver and a steady hand. Don't bother if you are not mechanically handy. I'm going to hazard a guess and say with a single IC layout and the smallish size that this is a 25W/ch amp non-version Mark III.
If I knew where to unscrew I would try that! 25 watts will do me, should drive my SX50’s I reckon? I’m not one for blasting out sound

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If I knew where to unscrew I would try that! 25 watts will do me, should drive my SX50’s I reckon? I’m not one for blasting out sound
I circled the screws (Or maybe they are plastic push-pins?) in red. If you do take off the metal holding retention bracket make sure you put all the parts on the back exactly as they came off. The part number of the IC will be under that metal retention bracket. It would be usual if it uses a #2 philips screw. The part number will be printed or laser burned on the face of the amp IC under the retention bracket. Upon a closer look you will need a very short stubby screwdriver to get it off unless it is plastic push pins. So you might have to stop the operation.
z cambridge.jpeg

This pic shows better the screws and the metal retention bracket.
maxresdefault.jpg

OP
S

StaresyJ

I circled the screws (Or maybe they are plastic push-pins?) in red. If you do take off the metal holding retention bracket make sure you put all the parts on the back exactly as they came off. The part number of the IC will be under that metal retention bracket. It would be usual if it uses a #2 philips screw. The part number will be printed or laser burned on the face of the amp IC under the retention bracket. Upon a closer look you will need a very short stubby screwdriver to get it off unless it is plastic push pins. So you might have to stop the operation.
View attachment 251607
This pic shows better the screws and the metal retention bracket.
maxresdefault.jpg
You know what. I’m going to leave it be as I’m not confident to take this out. You have been extremely welcoming and helpful. I’m going to get my speakers, give her a clean, fire it up and see what I get. If it’s rubbish, I can start again with a different amp.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You know what. I’m going to leave it be as I’m not confident to take this out. You have been extremely welcoming and helpful. I’m going to get my speakers, give her a clean, fire it up and see what I get. If it’s rubbish, I can start again with a different amp.
Yeah, sounds like a wise choice. Keep in mind it's not a power house amp and run it easy and it'll be fine. Your speakers are 8 Ohm and so everything should play well together.

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Regarding your CD player question. I think you'll be good with anything that has a toslink or spdif output. Just rout it through your E30 and use its dac.

Top Bottom