• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New here

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
S

StaresyJ

O' yes, music is a game changer like air conditioning and a nice hot tub. I have music playing most of my days. Like up to 16 hours a day if I am awake that much.
In the UK hot tubs and air conditioning are largely redundant! So after a few day’s listening, the Cambridge A1 amp is I’m afraid going to the audio cemetery. It’s nice, but as flat as Pancakes. I’ve a £300 budget for an amp. New (Chinese) or something like an Arcam Alpha 7 ? Thoughts ?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Arcam Alpha 7
I've worked on those and they are a decent unit. The tone controls sound really tight with the way they set up the tapers and I liked that. Otherwise go with a Yamaha if you can find one in your price range. :D

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve a £300 budget for an amp

OP
S

StaresyJ

Yeah I’ve seen this reviewed. It looks a lot of kit for the money. I have 2 debates. I have external DACs and I’m not sure if the internal in this can be bypassed?, and, do I want new sound or old sound?

OP
S

StaresyJ

I've worked on those and they are a decent unit. The tone controls sound really tight with the way they set up the tapers and I liked that. Otherwise go with a Yamaha if you can find one in your price range. :D
I’m having an internal fight with myself over traditional used items like the Arcam/Yammers and the new kids on the block

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m having an internal fight with myself over traditional used items like the Arcam/Yammers and the new kids on the block
I'm not sure what you mean. You mean you want a new model of amp and not a used unit?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah I’ve seen this reviewed. It looks a lot of kit for the money. I have 2 debates. I have external DACs and I’m not sure if the internal in this can be bypassed?, and, do I want new sound or old sound?
If by old sound you mean vintage then nothing has digital out and looking at the back connections no digital out on the A30 but the DAC measured very well. At that price try for awhile and use in another room or give to family or friend.

OP
S

StaresyJ

I'm not sure what you mean. You mean you want a new model of amp and not a used unit?
Not quite Doodski. I have traditional hifi genes imbedded in my veins. Was buying vinyl as a 14 year old in the mid 70’s, had all the new gear as it arrived and now having returned to hifi love after 25 years away I look at the newer price attraction goods and wonder if my old ways will give them the cold shoulder after a few weeks.

OP
S

StaresyJ

If by old sound you mean vintage then nothing has digital out and looking at the back connections no digital out on the A30 but the DAC measured very well. At that price try for awhile and use in another room or give to family or friend.
That’s a fair comment. At the price, a family member or friend would love it as a present!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not quite Doodski. I have traditional hifi genes imbedded in my veins. Was buying vinyl as a 14 year old in the mid 70’s, had all the new gear as it arrived and now having returned to hifi love after 25 years away I look at the newer price attraction goods and wonder if my old ways will give them the cold shoulder after a few weeks.
Ahhh... It sounds like you might enjoy switching through some different gear until you find what you like. :D

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s a fair comment. At the price, a family member or friend would love it as a present!
Don't forget remote that's a great feature when listening

OP
S

StaresyJ

Ahhh... It sounds like you might enjoy switching through some different gear until you find what you like. :D
Yep, this hifi mistress is going to be licking my Mastercard for a few months I think

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep, this hifi mistress is going to be licking my Mastercard for a few months I think
Lol... hehe. Keep in mind that the differences in sound between amps is going to be smaller and smaller as you buy better and better.

OP
S

StaresyJ

Lol... hehe. Keep in mind that the differences in sound between amps is going to be smaller and smaller as you buy better and better.
It’s like staring at the menu and wanting lobster and prime rib and ending up ordering both and taking both home for the a 2nd date

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@StaresyJ the Yamaha A-S301 and the A-S501 are both respectable units and are not in the high price bracket. I would link you but I am on the Canada web site and don't see a international webpage.

Last edited:
OP
S

StaresyJ

@StaresyJ the Yamaha A-S301 and the A-S501 are both respectable units and are not in the high price bracket. I would link you but I am on the Canada web site and don't see an international webpage.
So I’ve completed my first stage build having dusted off the old Cambridge A1 amp after years in storage. Unfortunately, the A1 has been a victim of this rebuild but I had fun cleaning it, plugging it in and listening for a bit! So my current new build is;
Wiim Pro streamer (£150) ~ E30ii DAC (£140) ~ Fosi TB10D (upgraded) (£90) ~ Cambridge Audio SX50’s (£125 eBay) sat on Nexus 6 stands (£45 eBay) Decent cables bought as well. Total outlay circa £600 maybe a touch more with cable costs haven’t detailed those. The functionality of the Wiim for streaming is first class and the SX50’s have a great sound for my palette. Very happy (for a month!)

Top Bottom