• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New headphones next to HD599

Riez1984

Hello all,

Last year I started out this journey with a Fidelio X2HR. I couldn't really stand the harsh high sounds and I didn't really cry out when it broke and got refunded tbh. I bought 2 pair of Sennheiser headphones after that incident.

I got myself an HD599 and an HD569. The HD569 is sold because I rarely used it. I like to listen in bed with headphones on and the hd569 made me go crazy because it squeaked all the time. My HD599 on the other hand is a dream. It's so comfortable to wear and my wife who sleeps next to me doesn't have an issue with it being open. I use it in bed on my Pixel 4a 5G andI also use it on my pc with a Loxjie D30 amp/DAC (V1) or occasionally on my Xbox series X connected to the controller.

I feel like I want another pair of headphones that compliment this one. I know there is not a lot of love for the HD599 but personally I really like the comfort of the pads and band (hated the X2HR pads, they itched) and I like the sound respect that it's not harsh like the Fidelio was.

Because I like the fact Sennheiser has a reputation for being durable and has a lot of spare parts easily available, again unlike the Fidelio I was looking at the HD560S but I'm a little aftraid I will get the plastic sound again when moving around because it seems like the same build as the HD569 on pictures. Also I was eyeballing the hd58x or HD6xx but those are harder to come by in the Netherlands.

I was hoping to get some suggestions or protips. My budget is around the price of these headphones.

moosso

I have both 599 and 560S, they are almost equally comfortable to me. I didn't notice any "squeaked" sound with 560S but you may not like it because 560S is much brighter than 599 (I don't use EQ on 599 but had to use EQ on 560S).
graph.png

On the other hand you may want to check HD650:
graph1.png

OP
R

Riez1984

Thx, well the 599 could still be used for mobile use and stuff and I could use the HD560s exclusively with the pc and set a profile with PEACE on it. But you think the HD560s would be a nice set to have next to the HD599? Or not worth it? The HD560s seems to have comfortable earpards and head cushion the annoyance I had with the HD569 might have to do with the different padding it had.

I don't know if I would be better off buying a used hd58x or a new HD560s (both same price)

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just get HD650 or HD6XX. That 6 is more than 5 in 599 :)

OP
R

Riez1984

I can get a used pair of HD58x for €140,- but a pair of 6xx would be a bit of hassle for me to get apart from the 220 dollar I'll pay 21% extra + about €20 fees for customs and €15,- shipping... So I'm thinking of going for the used HD58X... The HD58X seems to me like a 6 series build, am I right?

:p by the way why is the HD599 so underappreciated? In my noob ears they really don't sound that bad and they feel real comfortable, I can wear them for hours. The x2HR I had before were itchy and heavy.

Bye I have the so called "special edition" which are black instead of ivory which looks a lot better imho

Last edited:

adama99

by the way why is the HD599 so underappreciated?

Its frequency response is neither neutral (resembling the HD 600) nor closely matching the Harman curve, and there are multiple well-regarded alternatives from Sennheiser that are similarly priced (such as the HD 560S, HD 58X, and HD 6XX).

Last edited:
OP
R

Riez1984

Ah ok. Thx. Well I like them anyway haha and bought them for €100 so I'm cool with it.

adama99

If they're comfortable on your head and you like how they sound, that's what matters most when enjoying music.

Being somewhat treble sensitive myself I'm surprised you found the X2HR harsh. I tried them out for a while and was very pleased with how they sounded, but couldn't get used to the clamping force even after adjusting the frame.

OP
R

Riez1984

Yeah, strange indeed. But it really hurt my ears. But the clamping force was also uncomfortable for me next to the pads themselves. And what bothered me is that Philips offers no accessoires or pads to replace anything. I have an old pair of Fidelio BT headphones which had worn down pads and Philips basically told me to throw it away...

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello all,

Last year I started out this journey with a Fidelio X2HR. I couldn't really stand the harsh high sounds and I didn't really cry out when it broke and got refunded tbh. I bought 2 pair of Sennheiser headphones after that incident.

I got myself an HD599 and an HD569. The HD569 is sold because I rarely used it. I like to listen in bed with headphones on and the hd569 made me go crazy because it squeaked all the time. My HD599 on the other hand is a dream. It's so comfortable to wear and my wife who sleeps next to me doesn't have an issue with it being open. I use it in bed on my Pixel 4a 5G andI also use it on my pc with a Loxjie D30 amp/DAC (V1) or occasionally on my Xbox series X connected to the controller.

I feel like I want another pair of headphones that compliment this one. I know there is not a lot of love for the HD599 but personally I really like the comfort of the pads and band (hated the X2HR pads, they itched) and I like the sound respect that it's not harsh like the Fidelio was.

Because I like the fact Sennheiser has a reputation for being durable and has a lot of spare parts easily available, again unlike the Fidelio I was looking at the HD560S but I'm a little aftraid I will get the plastic sound again when moving around because it seems like the same build as the HD569 on pictures. Also I was eyeballing the hd58x or HD6xx but those are harder to come by in the Netherlands.

I was hoping to get some suggestions or protips. My budget is around the price of these headphones.
I'd recommend the HD560s and using an Oratory EQ. I have a number of headphones, as well as the HD600 which is a VERY close relative to the 6XX that someone recommended you in this thread - I enjoy the HD560s a lot more than the HD600.....the HD560s has better soundstage, better bass whilst still pretty much having the same great qualities that the HD600 has. HD560s is my joint favourite headphone with my K702 (also EQ'd)....I'd recommend you the HD560s, a particularly good value headphone as well as being just darn great regardless of price.

id.ray

i have the 599 and am looking for an affordable balanced cable for them. as im probably gonna order the

FiiO BTR5 2021 Portable Hi-Fi Bluetooth DAC/Amp​

it looks like it checks all the boxes for me. hoping its a good fit .

thoughts??

ririt

i have the 599 and am looking for an affordable balanced cable for them. as im probably gonna order the

FiiO BTR5 2021 Portable Hi-Fi Bluetooth DAC/Amp​

it looks like it checks all the boxes for me. hoping its a good fit .

thoughts??
An nice alternative can be the qudelix 5K, an amazing little box with PEQ and the same power output as BTR5

Robin L

Master Contributor
I've got the HD 599's, haven't wanted to use them since I got the 6XX. I don't know how easy/hard it is for you to get the HD 650 [or 6XX], but it is worth it.

OP
R

Riez1984

I'd recommend the HD560s and using an Oratory EQ. I have a number of headphones, as well as the HD600 which is a VERY close relative to the 6XX that someone recommended you in this thread - I enjoy the HD560s a lot more than the HD600.....the HD560s has better soundstage, better bass whilst still pretty much having the same great qualities that the HD600 has. HD560s is my joint favourite headphone with my K702 (also EQ'd)....I'd recommend you the HD560s, a particularly good value headphone as well as being just darn great regardless of price.
Should I sell off my 599's if I go with the 560s?

OP
R

Riez1984

I've got the HD 599's, haven't wanted to use them since I got the 6XX. I don't know how easy/hard it is for you to get the HD 650 [or 6XX], but it is worth it.
6XX is harder to get around here and 650 is a bit out of my price range atm. So I think the HD560s will be my way to go.

OP
R

Riez1984

Well... I was speaking to my wife about wanting to try out the HD560s and she offered to take my HD599s from me because she liked their comfort so it's a win win I guess lol just ordered them from Amazon so we'll see how I like them :)

Btw since they are 150ohms are they usable in bed on my phone for casual listening? I do this sometimes with my HD599 just to chill also I sometimes plug them in my Xbox controller to be in my zone. On my pc I will use them with my Loxjie D30

Skinner001

Well... I was speaking to my wife about wanting to try out the HD560s and she offered to take my HD599s from me because she liked their comfort so it's a win win I guess lol just ordered them from Amazon so we'll see how I like them :)

Btw since they are 150ohms are they usable in bed on my phone for casual listening? I do this sometimes with my HD599 just to chill also I sometimes plug them in my Xbox controller to be in my zone. On my pc I will use them with my Loxjie D30
I was just relaxing listening to them off my phone while reading a book :D

I like listening loud so I can't say my phone pushes them to levels I listen to off my main amp but for chilling at night it's just fine. And considering most people don't go as loud as I do, it may be plenty enugh for you.

OP
R

Riez1984

I was just relaxing listening to them off my phone while reading a book :D

I like listening loud so I can't say my phone pushes them to levels I listen to off my main amp but for chilling at night it's just fine. And considering most people don't go as loud as I do, it may be plenty enugh for you.
That's great to hear. I won't drive them loud on my phone anyway. It's more some ambient chill music in bed or like you while reading or having an Audiobook on.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Yep, the HD560s is very easy to drive, so you can do that from your phone no problems.

Carlo2AC

I would suggest you go a different route, you have experienced open back dynamics.. try now a closed back planar

Top Bottom